VIXMINI Access point

Is Access Point the same as Hotspot mode on the VIXMINI?

I went into setup, chose Access Point and now my router doesn’t work.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to get a signal?

Is there any benefit to having Access Point mode over Router mode, when
using the router at home and the router is next to the Cable modem connection?

Don’t have a Vixmini but from the documentation on Gl.Inets web site you have 3 options:

Which one you use will depend on your circumstances>

Router/repeater mode is the default mode. It works as a completely independent router and as such you end up with 2 discrete subnets (e.g. devices attached to the Vixmini will be in the 192.168.8.x subnet (by default) and anything attached to your source router will be on a different subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x). The router has a full firewall, DHCP, port forwarding etc capabilities. This is used when you want to have a firewall between your VixMini and the source network. This is generally for security reasons and/or to do things like make a Chromecast/Firestick work on a captive portal hotel wifi or to run a VPN on devices attached to the VixMini

Access point mode is used to extend your network where you have an ethernet cable going to a remote area. LAN port of your source router to the ethernet port of the VixMini . This turns off firewall, DHCP etc and your VixMini will get a DHCP IP address from your source router and will be on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x)

Extender mode is the same as Access Point mode but your VixMini is connected via WiFi rather than cable. Again, all routing functionality is off and your vixMini will be on the same subnet as your source (e.g. 192.168.1.x)

Does that help?

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

2 Likes

Thanks for helping limbot.
I will just stick with Router mode as it has been working well
for me up until now. I don’t have any heavy requirements. :slight_smile: Best!