VLAN/multiple SSIDs not working on FLINT!

My objective is to have 3 new SSIDs/separate networks that insulate home/work/IoT traffic from each other… and am going mad over how difficult this seems to be!

For context, running FLINT as a router connected via WAN port to my isp modem (which is in bridge mode) (isp is BT Business in the UK).

**although the SSIDs appear, no internet connectivity on any of them but my main! **

Going absolutely crazy and would appreciate any insights into what I might be doing wrong or could change, or even just starts for troubleshooting.

In Luci - Network - Switch, I’ve created three VLAN ids, 13, 14, 15, each with Port 1 and CPU (eth0) tagged. [Note: top bar says - Switch switch0 has an unknown topology - the VLAN settings might not be accurate.]

I manually altered my config file to have ‘1’ below instead of ‘0’ for enable vlan.

config switch option name ‘switch0’ option reset ‘0’ option enable_vlan ‘1’

Network - Interfaces - Devices I created three VLAN (802.1q) devices called eth0.13/eth0.14/eth0.15 – each with eth0 as base device and my VLAN IDs there also.

Network - Interfaces I created three Static Address protocols linked to the above VLAN devices with IPv4 addresses progressing from my original ssid/the router id range, from 192.168.9.1-192.168.11.1 respectively. Each with IPv4 netmask of 255.255.255.0 and IPv6 assignment length of 60. Each with DHCP Server setting starting at 100, limit 150, lease time 12h, and dynamic DHCP.

Firewall - Zones

I created three zones equating to my three new network interfaces, each with input/output/forward on ‘accept’, mss clamping ticked, covering their respective networks, and each allowing forwarding to the WAN destination zone.

System - Wireless

Two of the networks I created under 5ghz, one under 2.4ghz. All have mode as ‘access point’, each linked to their respective network from above interfaces.

My WAN is still running in pppoe with an ip-specific username and password; off device ‘eth0’ rather than a virtual LAN (i’d received some advice elsewhere to make one specially for the WAN but it stopped working with an error each time i connected the WAN interface to that virtual lan device – if this is key, no idea how to get it working!]

Finally, I tried using the bridge br-lan VLAN filtering settings with each of my vlan ids mentioned - this has caused the original ssid to finally become unusable, so may factory refresh once more tomorrow.

Any progress? I’ve got a Flint shipping and assumed I could do this.

The Flint really is a nice bit of gear; it runs a little faster with the recent 4.3.2 firmware of 10 days ago too.

I’m sure you could do it but I doubt it’ll be through the GL GUI or be supported for such a custom configuration. The OpenWrt forums would be a far better place but before heading there it’d be advisable to have LuCI & SSH set up, ready to go… to make a backup before going deep into the config files:

I received the Flint GL-AX1800 today and absolutely love the device. I have set it all up and have it working and taken s backup (have already restored twice from it!).

Through the LuCI interface I created a new bridge device and interface and assigned an IP for my IoT network. I created a slave wireless interface and added to the bridge. I created a firewall zone and set all to ‘accept’. After I did all of this I noticed DHCP no longer worked anywhere. LAN, GUEST or the IoT wireless network.

I will raise a question in the OpenWRT forums as well but thought that what I did would have been enough to get an additional wireless subnet up and running.

Disregard… I did it all again and now its working!!

I had the exact same issue and I’ve spent the past hour farting about in the browser interface and finally got it to work. Try changing the SSID name to something other than the default and keep messing with the frequency range. I changed my ID name to something with no dashes and changed the range to 40 and then back to 80. It kind of works by mistake