VPN Server on Router

Hi everyone,

Another newbie post here.

When I enable the VPN Server on my router, I assume it is for VPN Clients installed on my phone/PC that are say, on a cellular network, to access my home network?

Also, is my home network then “protected” by this VPN server on the router, and any outbound traffic from my home network is encrypted? I am hoping someone will say that when the VPN Server is running, outbound traffic is encrypted, and that my ISP will not know what’s going out, and will not throttle the speeds.

Thanks again. Learning as I go along!

Regards,
G

Running a wireguard server on your Brume at home will enable you to setup clients very easily on an iphone or macbook for example. And then you have a free vpn for travel or accessing your home network. But you would have to either make it your primary home router on the gateway or, preferably, forward a port from your main router to the Brume for wireguard to use. You can also forward a port for https and utilize the dynamic dns of the router to access it from anywhere (use a good password).

If you want to use the Brume as a VPN client and have all your devices connected to it by wifi under a VPN you can do that too. You will need to subscribe to a vpn service like the ones supported in the wireguard panel and then connect the Brume client software to it. You may want to purchase the 5G antennae they sell if you’re going to use Brume as a wifi access point.

1 Like

Worth noting you cannot run both server and client on the same router. It’s one or the other.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I understand the Wireguard server gives me a free VPN to connect to, and also access my home network. Can you confirm the following?

1. With the WG server running, is my home network outbound/inbound traffic encrypted? I do not want my ISP throttling my speeds.
  2. If the answer to No.1 above is “no”, then I need to use the VPN Client and connect to a VPN service like Nord? I understand a VPN Server and Client cannot run at the same time.

That is correct. Using as a server will “protect” your incoming device.
Using as a client attached to Nord will “protect” your outgoing traffic.
Note that NordVPN only supports OpenVPN. Due to Wireguard being a more efficient, and hence faster protocol would suggest you look at a VPN provider that supports WG on Gl.Inet/OpenWRT routers.

You can install Nord WG on the GL.iNet router VPN Client. I followed online instructions to extract the Private Key. Not too difficult.