Hello. I have been scratching my head over what is causing this. I have a VPN server on Brume 2. I manage to connect to it from OpenVpn (IOS) and everything works fine, however after a couple of times of connecting to it, VPN connects, but with no data passed through unless I reboot the router and refresh VPN configs. Appreciate any inputs.
- Device: Brume 2 (both 4.1 and 4.2 firmware tried, same result)
- VPN type: Open VPN and Wireguard server (same behaviour in both cases). Additionally tried lower MTUs but no difference
- VPN server port: Tried various ports no difference
- DDNS: Active (ping always succeeds)
- VPN cascade: To NordVPN (without cascade has the same behaviour)
- Allow local network access: ON
- Timezones: Correct and up to date
- VPN policy: By MAC address (i.e. use NordVPN for the IOS device but not for others). Doesnt matter for VPN server anyhow
- Network setup: Brume 2 → GPON router → Internet (GPON router is setup with DMZ for Brume 2 device with a static IP between Brume 2 and GPON router)
- Device: Iphone
- VPN client: Open VPN and Wireguard apps, both gave same behaviour
- Internet kill switch: On and Off tried, no difference
- On first activation of the VPN server, I am able to connect to it via the IOS device and both local and internet traffic are routed to the Brume 2
- On disconnection of the client, and reconnection of the client sometimes it works 1-2 times, and sometimes work more times, but in the end within a few hours, on subsequent reconnections to the server the traffic goes to 0. I am not able to connect to see the Brume 2 gateway page, nor any internet traffic. I also tried pinging 188.8.131.52 and that also doesn’t work.
- Upon reboot, if I restart the server I again can connect 1-2 times but after that (or some time passing) my connection doesn’t allow any data to pass
I suspected that this may be due to public IP changes and the DDNS updates, but even when I connect directly with the public IP it doesnt work.
Any ideas would be much appreciated as I need a stable connection.