Which wifi dongles are known to work as clients with GL-iNet?

To be clear, I am not trying to use the dongle as a second radio, just to connect a client to the wifi LAN of the Mango.

I have tried to connect two cheap wifi dongles with my GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) and both work with any other wifi radio, but not my Mango. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a cheap ( ~$10) wifi dongle that is known to work on Linux (especially RPi) and can connect as a client to the Mango.

I have tried TP-Link TL-WN725N and Edimax EW-7811Un.

Maybe this is a driver issue, if anyone knows a working driver that can be downloaded from a reliable source, that will work too. I think these dongles might have the same chipset, (RealTek 8188??), but I’m not sure yet.

The Mango works perfectly with Android, it’s amazing for the price, but I would love to use this thing with my Raspberry Pi 2B+

Thanks!

Not a Mango issue - it’s a Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) issue…

There’s a lot of USB dongles out there, and some work with Linux, and some don’t…

Good info below:

https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Mango uses MTK chipset maybe you can use MTK WiFi dongle eg 3070

RTL 8187 series should work but recently I got a case that Mango does not work well with Tenda mesh which uses RTL chipset.

Should this be one reason?

I think he’s trying to connect his RPi2 to the Mango - it doesn’t have onboard WiFi…

TP-Link TL-WN725N is RTL8188EUS - same with V2 of that device, and there’s no built-in kernel support with the r8818eu driver

The Edimax device - similar - based on RTL8188CUS, which again, no kernel support in Raspbian

The CanaKit purpose built adapter should work - it’s Ralink 5370 based, and it’s $10USD on Amazon

Hi,

I appreciate your response, I will look into the model you suggest, this is very helpful.

Thanks,
Emanuel

You win my question, unfortunately the prize is pretty lame, just my appreciation (;

I’m buying the model you have suggested, I’ll update this post after testing in case it helps someone else.

I was looking for out of box support for RPi and a lot of people suggest that Edimax, it does mostly work out of the box with RPi, but apparently has compatibility issues with some devices, including the Mango.

I think you have saved me a lot of trouble, great answer and much appreciated,
Emanuel