Why does AGH take so much fuggin memory?

That is reassuring to know, thanks!

When it would die could you revive it by just unplugging the power cable and then putting it back in or did you have to use the u boot recovery thing?

@admon do you think I could make a “custom” blocklist to get YouTube back by copying the current No Google DNS list to pastebin and just deleting the YouTube stuff, then set the saved paste URL as the pathway to find the custom list?

I had to power cycle reboot it and it would come right back up.

It happened when I had all 3 of these lists enabled.

I am not running the latest AdGuard either, I’m on Version: v0.107.26

1 Like

I am using the exact same version too, I checked for updates and it looks like this is the latest GL has given us. Hopefully a future update will help reduce how much memory it takes up.

Potential stupid question: Does the meltdown and spectre vulnerability patch add to why this happens? I remember it causes a drain of resources

AdGuard does have update enabled anymore on this gl-inet code as far as I remember it was disabled.

So if you want to update AdGuard you have to do it manually from Luci I think.

1 Like

You can take a look here for AdGuard updates.

1 Like

I can download AdGuardHomeLinux.tar.gz but not sure where to go from that point on. If you managed to sucessfully upgrade in the GUI then how are we still both on the same version? Shouldn’t yours be more recent than mine? It also seems pretty unhelpful for GL to disable the auto updates for some reason.

No I updated mine way back, maybe 6 months or more. And I had to go into Luci and delete some stuff before I could use the GUI button to update.

It was never “auto updated” as far as I remember.

I think they disabled the update button because so many people had problems with it and it.

I’m just too lazy to upgrade from the Luci CLI at the moment, I’ll get to it sometime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Am I correct in thinking this is the latest version? https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/download/v0.107.43/AdGuardHome_linux_arm64.tar.gz

I might try manually updating things by just guess work and hope nothing major goes wrong.

I just realized its ARMv7 that is needed, I downloaded it and uploaded it to the router via luci but then got a security warning, can anybody confirm its safe? The file was downloaded from the AdGuard Home Github page so should be legit but I’d prefer confirmation before I add it.

My option to save your ram and less filters. Try make Adguard DNS (adguard-dns.io) and put your dns server in upstream adguard home. After that remove filters in adguard home which same filter adguard dns server.
Would be save ram in your router :thinking:

About update new version adguard home - not recommend , not enough space for oldest router.

1 Like

Does have list filter in adguard dns server.
Inlcude hagezi list :wink:
Parent control can block a lot of services like Facebook :wink:

1 Like

You could, but what is the point of that?
If you would like to stop Google tracing you, you have to avoid YouTube as well.

1 Like

I would love Google to stop tracing me for the rest of my life but I know that would be practically impossible, even with blocking YouTube. The best I can do is majorly reduce points of contact until I selectively have only one point of contact and its for the one Google owned service that I want to use. I use YouTube without a Google account so I feel that allowing just YouTube gives them very little to go off.

@slesar Thanks for the tip! I’ve created an account with AdGuard DNS and up to setup page 2. Am I supposed to put d.adguard-dns.com in my client device DNS settings and then forward to VPN DNS in the AdGuard DNS server config pages?

Edit: It actually turns out I will have to leave the AGDNS option as you have to use full default lists meaining I can’t import a custom list which would allow me to remove YouTube from the blocklist :frowning:

When you created account and setup server and client (router device) then copy 3 address tls, quic, https in your AdGuard Home upstream.

I adguard dns server you can turn on Parent control and you will see a lot of services.

Block list you can manage finish filter list

Even you want more save RAM - just turn of adguard home and turn on normal dns then fill adguard dns server

2 Likes

AGDNS (paid version) can block different services, you can enable it without touching block lists.

1 Like

Really? I did not know free account has limited things that paid version. I thought paid version only increase request per month.
Yes, I paid Adguard VPN then gave me free paid Adguard DNS

Also I can’t import filters, just manual to make a list.
1000 lists

1 Like

Not sure about the free one, I only use paid.

1 Like

I enabled parental control and added the no Google list, checked the manage services option and it still had YouTube unticked meaning it thinks its not going to block YouTube but in actuality it is.