Why is enabling DDNS mandatory when trying to enable HTTPS remo

encountered a dependency which i simply can’t understand -
i want to enable HTTPS Remote Access to my router (admin panel) using the options in “Apllicarions” > “Remote Access” > “Dynamic DNS”.

what i fail to understand is why SSH and HTTPS remote access is classified under “Dynamic DNS” and why do I have to enable DDNS in order to enable and use SSH and HTTPS?

what is even worse is the fact that I am forced to use the glddns.com service instead of letting us pick from similar popular services.

No.
The idea here is that the inexperienced users will want to use the GL Free DDNS service to be able to access SSH and HTTPS on their router. It is not a requirement.

You can go to Firewall → Open Ports On Router and open SSH and HTTPS.

To configure your favorite DDNS service, you can do that with command line, you can’t expect GL to support all services when they have their own.

hi @Johnex,
i get your point but the idea was to basically move the SSH and HTTP out of the DDNS paragraph and make them as independent configuration choices which would make it easier for folks to enable/disable them at will without the need to touch luci (and potentially mess things up).

regarding DDNS service selection - i get it. makes sense. is it possible to “manually” configure something like no-ip.com using luci in theory? (haven’t explored luci’s limits yet)

Won’t be via Luci, will be commandline, just edit a file and paste config. You can read here:

DuckDNS for example generates the config for you, to just copy paste:

Yes you can use no-ip.com ddns service from luci. Download the ddns luci app and the ddns noip script and then you can configure from the luci web interface.