WiFi in tethering mode doesn't start if station not availableat

Hi,

I observed today the following annoying behavior and considering that it is an essential use case for a travel router, I assume it to be a bug. I had to reset the router to be able to access it again because I was traveling and had no Ethernet cable with me.

Brief

WiFi in repeater mode doesn’t start if station not available

PRECONDITIONS:

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• WiFi of AXT-1800 starts normally
  • Admin panel available to configure router for alternative usage

OBSERVED BEHAVIOR:

• WiFi of AXT-1800 is not starting

Device Information:

• Slate AXT-1800
  • v4.0.1 release 3

Is this already known, and if so is there a workaround/planned fix?

Thanks a lot

What is “theathering”? Maybe your mean is “tethering”?

Yes exactly, sorry for the wrong spelling, I’ll edit it.

We failed to reproduce the problem, maybe I didn’t understand your steps.

Is the feature you use on the AXT1800 “Tethering” or “Repeater” on the GL Web UI? Or to put it another way, are you using the AXT1800 to connect to station XYZ’s hotspot, or are you using a USB cable to connect the AXT1800 to station XYZ?

Does the 5G mode mean that the relay only selects the 5G band? Is it the “Band Selection” option?

The router used as Repeater, thus it is configured to connect to station XYZ, no usb cable attached.

Does the 5G mode mean that the relay only selects the 5G band? Is it the “Band Selection” option?

It means that the AXT-1800 WiFi has 2.4G Wifi deactivated and the 5G Wifi activated. See below:

Sorry for the bad use of terminology, I am not too deep into wireless technology yet.

Does station XYZ’s hotspot also use the 5GHz band?
When a repeater is reconnecting, WiFi in the same frequency band as the hotspot will inevitably be affected.
You can check the documentation to see if this is the same as your situation.

Does station XYZ’s hotspot also use the 5GHz band?

Yes, indeed.

In the scanning phase, data packet may loss in the scanned band, possible connection problems for new devices. For GL-AXT1800 and GL-AX1800, the Guest Wi-Fi will be temporarily turned off.

In the connecting phase, the Main Wi-Fi on the corresponding band may be disconnected.

The LED was blinking continuously some seconds after the power was switched on. Which phase do you think was that?

What is the color?
Solid white light means the router is working well.
Flash white light means the router is booting.
Flash blue light means the router is failure.