WiFi inactivity timeout

I have many WiFi devices that work fine with my Flint (in access point mode).

I have one device, a WiFi extender (Netgear EAX15) for which I continually see this in my syslog every couple minutes.

deauthenticated due to inactivity
authenticated
associated

Since the device immediately reconnects each time, it appears as if the connection is working fine (and I probably wouldn’t know anything was happening if I didn’t check the logs). But I would like to know if there is any way to lengthen the inactivity timeout so this doesn’t happen so often?

OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16399+157-c67509efd7
Kernel Version 4.4.60
Firmware 4.1.0

In LuCI under Wireless interface configuration I see a selection for Station Inactivity limit. It currently is blank. Is this setting important in my case?

There’s another setting: Disassociate on Low Acknowledgement, which is checked. Would changing this help?

The EAX15 reports excellent signal strength

This is an expected behavior to save power. Before tweaking the inactivity timer I would deselect the other option. Check this out: wireless networking - Random WiFi disconnects or disassociations from Turris Omnia 2020 - Super User

Thank you for the pointer. I have unchecked disassociate on low acknowledgment and will see if that addresses the problem.

I don’t understand how this would save power since all of the other WiFi devices are continually connected.

For anyone else reading this: Unchecking “disassociate on low acknowledgment” was not sufficient to resolve the problem. It was also necessary to check “Disable inactivity polling”.

1 Like

Glad you fixed it!!!

Unfortunately, after two days the issue returned. I checked and diassociate on low acknowledgment is still unchecked and disable inactivity polling is still checked. On both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

Why do you think the issue is from the Flint router ? It could be the Netgear?!

Because the Flint is reporting that it disassociated the link due to inactivity. Also because there are reports on the OpenWRT forums about similar issues.

You are right ! I just checked it and it is related to openwrt 21 branch. GL engineers should move to higher openwrt to fix such issues.

You can however fix it by yourself by downgrading the Wi-Fi driver in the modem. Google it and investigate how to do it.

maybe glinet team will patch it in future version of firmware if it’s an easy fix…

I looked for how to downgrade the WiFi driver but couldn’t find it. Could you please help?

This is how you can identify your wifi driver and its version: