Wireguard VPN - Connects but No Internet

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a second Gl-Inet devices to act as a “Server”. I currently have a GL-Inet which acts as a “Client” and I use it when travelling and use an external VPN provider with in the Wireguard config to act as a server, which works well. But now, I want to eliminate that VPN provider and create a tunnel via my Home ISP instead with Wireguard, so I bought the second GL-Inet device to act as that other server endpoint at home.

I followed the guide here - WireGuard Server - GL.iNet Docs

I did not get to the stage where I have to configure the Wireguard Client Config on my Gl-Inet endpoint which I’ll be travelling with, simply bc I’m doing some tests from my Mobile Phone (Wireguard installed) to the Wireguard Server at home on the new GliNet which I just setup, and its failing. I basically did as follows:

1. Created the VPN Server Config as instructed in the above doc. IPs as as follows:
    ISP Modem/LAN Default GW: 20.0.0.1
    GliNet Router IP - 20.0.0.6
    Wireguard Server IP - 20.0.0.100
    Wireguard Client IP - 20.0.0.99

2. Performed Port Forwarding to the Gl.Inet Router Server Box on my Home ISP router.

3. The VPN tunnel establishes successfully, I can verify both on my mobile and directly on the GL.Inet.

4. On my mobile phone with some network apps, I basically cannot ping the ISP default GW or 20.0.0.1, the router mgmt IP, the server IP, or itself - 20.0.0.99), can’t ping anything successfully.

5.This file looks good and it seems like the port forwarding is working as the tunnel establishes:
/etc/sysctl.d/10-default.conf
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

Here is basically my config files, if anyone has any ideas, or if any steps or configurations were missed, that would be great. I made no other custom config or gui changes in the router other than what the document outlined.

Wireguard Server - Client File (this is loaded in my phone app)

[Interface]
Address = 20.0.0.99/32
ListenPort = 7388
PrivateKey = oPyP9drpNytsdfsdfV4GC6lE=
DNS = 64.6.64.6

[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::/0
Endpoint = 1.1.1.1:45656 (My Public IP)
PersistentKeepalive = 25
PublicKey = bYXgXKpsfsfsfsfsfsfsfsfsf

wireguard_server file

config servers
option local_ipv6 ‘fdsd:dssd:5:asd::1’
option private_key ‘SPH/sdfsdfdf888d/qu3s2E7sdfsdfSjPG4=’
option public_key ‘bsdfsdf7y7y7777dfrm+ACsfkPDIwM=’
option local_port ‘45656’
option local_ip ‘20.0.0.100’
option access ‘DROP’
option enable ‘1’

config peers ‘wg_peer_7288’
option name ‘john’
option client_key ‘cg5/5Fpv+DsfJljm+Fiqcjz4=’
option private_key ‘sfsfNytRhYsfEV4GC6fsfffsfs=’
option client_ip ‘20.0.0.99/32’

I couldn’t find any docs on the wireguard_server file, not sure what “option access ‘DROP’” entails?

Thanks!

Do you use an Android phone? Can you show us the log?

The wireguard is the backend, you should not change its IP address to 20.0.0.x. You should keep it unchanged.

Hey there. So by default, the wireguard server IP was the same IP as the ISP Modem (20.0.0.1), I wasn’t sure if that would have an IP conflict so I changed it to .100. So the Wireguard Server IP is still in the same subnet as the LAN. I can give it a try to change it back to .1.

Hey, I’m actually in an iPhone.

Just an update for anyone who may run in to the same issue. The config seemed fine all along, I randomly rebooted the router and it started working flawlessly afterwards.

1 Like