Work VPN-PiVPN, connecting but not displaying

I have recently setup PiVPN with OpenVPN on a Raspberry Pi and have connected to it through a GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (VPN router) - it all seems to work.

However when I connect my work laptop to the VPN router, my works’ Azure VPN client on the work laptop seems to connect successfully but the pages accessible through this Azure VPN do not display (but the internet works as per normal) and I’m just greeted by errors relating to firewalls, proxies, browser settings and so on.

If it helps, the work laptop and VPN router are connected via ethernet, the VPN router gets internet wirelessly, the raspberry pi is connect to the modem-router via ethernet.

Any ideas? I’m guessing I need to allow something on one either the PiVPN, VPN router or something.

Here’s a terrible diagram of the setup…

The PiVPN ins in another place than your vpn router right?

As I understand you are using double VPN, which may generally cause problems. I have no idea why but I’d try to avoid double vpn.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the PiVPN is setup on a raspberry pi which is connected directly to the ISP modem-router. The VPN router gets its internet connection from some other WiFi but then VPNs through to the PiVPN server - they’re on two different devices. Likewise, the azure VPN client is on my work laptop.

I wondered if this was referred to as double VPN or tunnelling one VPN through another. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to connect my work VPN in such a way to make it appear as if I’m in the UK.

Can you check if your have DNS leak?

After you set up vpn on the router and connect to your PiVPN,

Use dnsleaktest.com to check where is the dns resolved.

Hi Alzhao,

I tried this with/without the Azure VPN connected - I seemed to get the same 3 or 4 Cloudflare servers (all similar IPs) responses with each query regardless of whether the Azure VPN was connected or not, both times I was connected through the OpenVPN connection (PiVPN).

OK. I read your first post agin. You said Azure vpn connected, has Internet but web page does not load.

How do you determine it has Internet if web page does not load?