Quick summary: AX1800 AdGuard shows as localhost for all devices I found a work around for port forwarding. That didn’t block ad’s from WiFi devices but shows logs in AdGuard. the force DNS on devices options doesn’t work.
I just want to know if there’s a fix and a step by step i can follow to do achieve it.
You mentioned two issues:
Show as localhost. Pls refer to GL-MV1000 with AdGuard all clients show as localhost
There are also other posts talking about this.
Does not block Ad on some of your wifi devices. Two possible reasons: (1) Your device has encrypted DNS settings and the router/adguard home cannot do anything; (2) Adguard Home does not block all Ads and maybe it is just normal.
Yes, I’ve read on other threads about it. That’s how i got the port forwarding to work but I thought maybe it was a poor method. I tried doing the ssh and modifying the files but it doesn’t work in my favor. once i save the files and change the ports nothing connects to the internet.
- I checked my phone settings didn’t see anything that would alter it. however I’ll recheck all of that now.
i knew you’d be the one to respond once i seen you respond in all the other threads. thank you for your response and time.
If you do not need private rDNS resolvers (clogged my AGH stats when enabled), I looked at the instructions on openwrt and just changed dnsmasq to port 54 and set AGH to port 53 to display client IP’s.
For my GL.Inet routers, in Luci, you can go to Network>DHCP and DNS>Advanced Settings and change the “DNS Server Port” to 54. Also under “General Settings”, you can make sure that your “DNS forwardings” are set to 127.0.0.1 (not 127.0.0.1#3053).
For AGH, you can SSH into the /etc/AdGuardHome directory and change the port to 53 in config.yaml as well as bind to your router IP and localhost.
I don’t run any advanced services through the travel routers other than VPN, but that resolves the problem of localhost showing up on the AGH stats page.
I also go to the WAN, WWAN and tethered interfaces in LUCI and do not use DNS advertised by peer and just set those to 127.0.0.1 as well to take advantage of DNS over TLS, DNS over HTTPS and DNS over QUIC, regardless of the connection. AGH makes setting that up very easy too. I just found a few regional DNS servers using TLS, HTTPS and QUIC and added them in the AGH page under Settings>DNS settings>Upstream DNS Servers and populated Bootstrap DNS servers with normal DNS IP addresses.
You can always change dnsmasq back to port 53 and stop AGH if you have any DNS problems to troubleshoot, but once setup, I have had no problems at all with AGH or checking DNS stats per device.
I really appreciate that information, thank you for your response. If i do another reset I’ll try your method vs what all I’ve done.
I found my LocalHost issue was because of “Override DNS Settings for All Clients” being enabled.
Prior to setting up AdGuardHome I enabled (Admin Panel → More Settings → Custom DNS Server → “Override DNS Settings for All Clients”) thinking it’s what I was looking for considering on my iPhone ad’s would still pop up last time I set everything up the vanilla way.
After doing the port forwarding in Luci nothing was populating in AdGuardHome clients so eventually I disabled AdGuardHome in the Admin panel then went over to the DNS settings and unchecked the override DNS setting for all clients then went back to enable AdGuardHome and sure enough all the client ID’s populated.
I played with my settings on my iPhone and I can see that the ad blocking feature is working but for whatever reason I don’t feel like AdGuardHome works as good on the router than it does on my VPS. maybe I’m being biased or not testing it properly.
[EDIT @ 4:44PM PST] - I just upgraded my router to the 4.x firmware. very nice, kinda different considering all the resets I did on firmware 3.x so some stuff you have to go do manually like renaming your network and setting password unlike before it would just pop up during setup.