AdGuardHome on GL routers

It will work great, but you won’t be able to use the large block lists such as OISD cos of ram usage.

Can someone comment on overall performance using adguardhome on a B1300 router? My basic philosophy is that most of my endpoints that I most care about have significantly more computational power than my b1300, so I tend to want to do most of my work on those endpoint computers. Has anyone tried some careful testing on this module to see what performance hit there might be?

I’ve been reading and have asked a similar question. And what I got is it seems like as long as the Ads blocking lists fit comfortably into the router’s storage -either or both the RAM and NAND Flash it shouldn’t be a performance hit.

I encourage you to read these posts and the replies, click on the post’s title to see a full post.

What you were probably expecting (as I do) is to find LAN client IP adresses instead of only the router’s address. It would be useful to determine what client made what request.

So the question remains : can we list all the LAN clients who make DNS requests ?

The client requests DNS through port 53 and is then forwarded to port 3053 used by AdGuardHome, so the client is actually using a DNS proxy that is local to the router.
So you see that all DNS requests are coming from the gateway.

Thank you for this explanation. Would it be possible to have adguard directly requested by the LAN clients ? That would imply that it would have to listen to port 53. Is this possible ? If not, why ?

I wonder when will the firmware with Adguard Home officially integrated be released?

Thank you.

If port 53 is directly monitored, dnsmasq will not work properly.

We have officially integrated the MV1000, other models have not yet.

1 Like

you can run Adguardhome on port 53 and disable dnsmasq. this way clients will show. but only do it if you know what you’re doing

Looks incredible, installing on my AR300m Nand now.

Also have a few Mango devices around, any support planned for GMT300N-V2?

I tried the AdGuard firmware and found it clunky, hard work and difficult to set-up.
I switched to NextDNS and love it.
Also, it uses external processing resources, which I also like.
So, for me, I’d say switch to NextDNS!

Like with all things, you have more privacy on things you control. By using NextDNS they can see how many times you access specific sites, what you are blocking, what you like to do on the internet. They say they won’t sell your data, but with all things, do you really trust that fully?

Since Adguard is local, and you have full control over the lists and what gets blocked, you only have to worry about the DNS provider for privacy. Usually a large provider such as Cloudflare has so much data flowing, they don’t have the resources to even filter and use it. You are like a tiny plankton in the Atlantic.

On top of it, i usually have more than 300k queries a month, which you will have if you use it for work and for family. NextDNS is not free if you need more than those queries per month.

1 Like

hello
wonder witch routers are going to have fully adguard support is it only brume ?

I use Adguard on my S1300, it will be supported in all the routers that have more than 128mb ram. The only issue you will have is loading massive block lists. If you need OISD run it on an S1300/B1300, Brumme/Brumme-W or the new upcoming GL routers.

2 Likes

so no support for AR750S?

It’s supported, you can try the firmware from here:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/ar750s/snapshots/

If you try to load a large list, you will notice that Adguard will hang and not work. You need to reduce the list size or use another list in that case.

2 Likes

@luochongjun

Should the B1300 adguard firmware work in a B1300 Mesh environment?

I did an upgrade via the interface from 3.104 to 3. 104adguard home on my master node and ended up bricking the master node :sob: think end behaviour was 3 solid lights then reboots itself and repeats.

I then just used uboot to reinitalize master node then reset mesh to get the system up and running again for the family. I have tried this twice now (3.104 upgrade to adguard version) redownloading the firmware in case I had a corrupt version the first time.

I could have ubooted the adguard version and then tried remeshed but didn’t know if that would work after my other two tests and as I say didn’t want any more down time.

Can you confirm or deny that adguard version of firmware should work in mesh?

Hi limbot,I will test it.
In addition, B1300 has very limited flash resources and will not support AdGuardHome in future B1300.

@luochongjun

Were you able to get in touch with the Adguard guys about the snapshot version upgrade issue?