(Beryl) GL-MT1300 wifi upload is better than download?

Hello,
We have 1000M/1000M fiber internet connection. What might be the issue that Wifi upload (mainly 5Ghz) is always way better than download using GL-MT1300?

If I test nearby the router, there seems to be very small difference. But above 5 metres distance the difference seems to get bigger and bigger. For example the Samsung television from 10m distance seems to get 20M/50M and same with the Chromecast that is attached to it. Laptop in other room will get 50M/200M connection. My cellphone got 100M/300M from one spot.. and so on. These speeds are tested using various internet speed tests. And also, Windows seems to show always better upload than download link.

There seems to be somewhat 2-4x difference between upload and download all the time in wifi? Why? I'm using latest firmware, factory reset done and no change. WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE is the encryption, if that has some impact?

It depends on negotiated rate of the WIFI adapter (device), and this negotiated rate won't be equal to the actual rate, since it also related to the signal interference around, the performance or anti-interference of the client and router, etc.

May can try fixed channel, 36, 44, or others clean channel.
May can try the encryption method, WPA2-PSK.

The speedtest website should pick more nodes to test, some nodes perhaps busy.

Laptop has Intel AX201, phone has Qualcomm FastConnect 7800, Samsung TV has Ralink adapter, etc.. So there are different chipsets used and all of them has the same issue that upload is always better.

And like I said.. Windows as an example tells the negotiated speed separately for uplink and downlink. And always uplink is better. By using Ethernet, you will get full speed and there is no difference between download or upload in any internet speed tests, so the issue is only Wifi specific.

But I will try different channels and encryptions.

Here shows the negotiate rate, TX in the router = RX in the Client (like AX201)

Here is the local speedtest website (just for obtain the best result), for your reference:
Speedtest -> ... ->MT1300-5G -> AX101

Here is an example:

And here is the result:

Same spot, but changed..

• wifi channel from "auto" to "153"
  • wifi mode from "11a/n/ac" to "11n/ac"

Better than above, but still the upload is better than download. So the issue persists even though throughput is better.

Edit. Encryption does not affect at all!

Edit2. Here is the info about connection in Windows side (vastaanotettu = download, lähetetty = upload).

The signal is -74dBm and the noise is -85dBm
The difference must be much higher.

What is happening now is similar to trying to watch TV while your neighbor has a tractor running at full throttle.

1. Remove any USB device in a 3m range, doesn't matter if it's on the router or in any computer;

2. The signal is too low. Or you are too far or you have installed it surrounded by a metal shelf or similar thing.

3. Check the position of the antenna

1. No USB devices within 3m range
  2. I was far, but if testing nearby the same result
  3. What do you mean? Antennas are upwards like normally

Here is the result for case 2 nearby the GL-MT1300 (signal -40dBm, noise -87dBm). Still upload is way better.

If the signal is the issue, should it then affect to both upload and download? I'm just trying to figure out why upload is always better and sometimes even way better? No one tries to focus on that.. I guess it should not be normal than in any circumstances (for example near or far), the upload wins all the time and with a good margin. In case of speed, I would rather have downlink and uplink opposite :smiley:

So is it normal that upload is better always?

Tested also 2.4ghz and there seems to be same issue. Getting 10M/50M connections from second floor.

Something is really wrong with the device.

I found similar problems on Ubiquity Unify NanoHD devices:
https://community.ui.com/questions/Unifi-wifi-download-slow-upload-fast/66f3d146-fd8a-44aa-a0a7-31cd90d06093

And guess what? These devices seem to have similar hardware specs than Beryl GL-MT1300. So is it hardware problem, ie. wifi chipset issue or such?

Ubiquity problem has been open 4 years without the solution :frowning:

Similar issues here:

So I guess the hardware just sucks, or something is really broken on software side. Maybe need to sell the device and buy something different, which is sad :frowning:

Sorry about that probable hardware part issue, please contact the purchase way to return or exchange the device, thank you

Doesn't seems a hardware issue:

Try old firmwares:
https://dl.gl-inet.com/router/mt1300/

Thanks Renato!

Legacy version fixed the problem! So all those v4 firmwares are broken and everyone should only use v3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bruce @alzhao
It seems there is a bug introduced by the firmware version 4.xx on MT1300

1 Like

Yep. Now especially in long distance..

• in upstairs 2.4Ghz gives 50M/50M (was 10M/50M)
  • TV's Chromecast 100M/50M (was 20M/50M)
  • etc...
1 Like

Which exactly firmware are you using now, and which one were you using before?

I was using the latest 4.3.18 and now I use 3.216.

But I noticed this issue when I got 1G/1G fiber internet connection about a week ago. Previously I only had 100M/50M LTE connection, so I didn't pay any attention for this kind of operation. Of course I cannot say that every v4 firmware is broken, because I have not tested them all with 1G/1G connection. I just made assumption, because in OpenWRT side the issue was first detected in 21.02 version and all MT1300 v4 firmwares are based on newer OpenWRT version than 21.02.

Looks like the problem started on version 4.3.7:

The previous 3.216 was using OpenWrt 19.07.8

v4.3.7 is based on OpenWRT 22.03.4 according to that image (ie. mentioned as second last device "MT1300")