BrumeW "bonus feature" USB-C port provides Ethernet to computer if it supplies enough power to boot the router

The most awesome and unexpected feature of the BrumeW has been the USB-C port also appears as an Ethernet connection if you happen to have it plugged into a computer or other device capable of supplying enough power for the router to operate. I wasn’t expecting this and it blew my mind because it means that I should be able to far more easily route only certain traffic from my computer over the “wired” connection while still remaining connected to a work or other wireless connection rather than having to flip back and forth between a work connection and a personal/VPN protected connection.

I’ve tested this on both a Macbook Pro and a Chromebook, and on the Chromebook I was actually just using a USB 3.0 port and not a USB-C/PD port. ChromeOS happily recognized the router as an Ethernet connection once the router had fully booted.

I just spotted a hint about this on the device’s product page, but it basically means we get a “bonus” ethernet port, though maybe not Gigabit speed, it should be plenty fast especially since unless using a wired WAN connection in the “repeater/extender” mode you are limited to far less than gigabit by the 2.4Ghz wireless N 300mbps top speed anyways.

1x USB3.0 Type-C Power Supply + Data Communication

2 Likes

It is USB3.0 so speed should be OK. You can test the speed on Mac book pro to see what is the speed of from Ethernet to USB Ethernet port.

It is software USB Ethernet driver so it needs to work after the system fully boot. You can make it to works as other drivers like keyboard etc.

Wow. Just plugged into my Lenovo C340 Chromebook via USB C and via USB-3 with an ethernet connection to my MV1000 and yeppers, an ethernet connection. Kewl! :slight_smile:

Both USB C and USB 3 connection has some penalty compared with a direct wired “normal” connection (approximately 30 Mbps versus 45Mbps)

What this means to me is that a MV1000W now makes a little bit more sense (at least in a single notebook situation) to use as a travel WISP repeater than it did before (Wired USB connection to notebook and WISP on 2.4GHz to “source”) :slight_smile:

hi,

can USB3 HDD somehow be used in BrumeW? thx

Can someone tell me what BrumeW driver used to connect with pc via usb-c? Its rtl8152,ax88772,rndis or something else ?

It is RNDIS. So should just work.

I connect USB-C on router to USB3 on Linux laptop. I then connect router to WiFi AP. WiFi is connected for few seconds and then it’s dropped. WiFi seems unstable.

What’s the best way to use WiFi in Brume?

Your USB port probably isn’t putting out enough power as the Brume requires 5V/3A. That being said I’ve had it work via USB3 under VERY LIGHT load (I sometimes use this for quick and easy diagnostic situations)

Best way is to use the supplied power supply or via USB-C or 5V/3A powerbank.

I think MV1000-W has a fairly good resistance to the trouble of low supply voltage.

When I was tethering with an OTG cable on a USB 2.0 port, I accidentally unplugged the power cable on the USB 3.0 port, but the MV1000-W was still fully networked (Without some error!).

(I haven’t tried connecting any device to a free USB3.0 port. Perhaps the router will stop🥶)

Can you use MV-1000W as a “reliable” travel router using laptop to power it up?

You connect usb-c in router to usb2 in laptop for power. The devices then connect either through the same wire or wirelessly. Is usb power enough for reliable connection for 1 or 2 device?

In my case, even with power supply, I can’t connect the router to WiFi!!

It works at least because I’ve used it for a long time in a similar environment (accidentally connected to a USB-AC converter that only supports up to 2.4A). And now, when I connect it to a very old laptop that only has USB 2.0, it seems to be able to boot.

But, please note that this deviates 100% from the officially supported usage and you lose all warranty. The fact that my MV1000-W works does not guarantee that your MV1000-W will work. You seem to be trying to connect to the tor network, but I haven’t done that, so the risk of current consumption is higher.

It’s important to look for a good type C to type A cable that is as short and good as possible, avoid using conversion connectors, reduce the functionality used as much as possible, and stop unwanted processes and interfaces from advanced features.

Thank you very much for clarification. Tor is a separate problem.

I can’t connect Brume to home WiFi even with power supply. I have no idea what else could be done.

Maybe I brick the router and install latest OpenWRT and use LUCI. I am not sure if it solves the problem.

Hi, try to input wifi config on repeater manually. once scanning done, choose “other” at wifi list.

Fill the name of your wifi,
security : wpa/wpa2-psk
Channel : (this section you should try all channels, mine work at channel 6)
2.5g/5g
Password : your wifi password

1 Like

Thank you!

I wasted the whole today trying to fix it (installing various firmwares, going through Lucy, different types of connections and settings, reading logs, reading OpenWRT forums, reboot, reset, changing laptop, cables, channel 1 to 11 especially 1, 6 and 11, 20 NHz, 40 MHz etc) with no luck.

There is an error in Lucy “Error: Network device not present “ which according to OpenWRT forum requires changing OpenWRT config files.

It eventually connects and works, but once you disconnect (which happens when eg changing or enabling VPN), it takes another 30 minutes of trying various tricks to establish a connection.

The remaining option is to install newer version of OpenWRT.

Can you use the power adapter and cable comes with the router, not using computer directly powered and try?