Cannot connect to hotel Wifi with new Beryl AX - IOS devices work fine

Clearly I should have read this thread before buying this router for my trip. I’m in Mexico, at a Hilton, and I can’t get this thing to work. They have a captive portal that just asks for a password. Chrome cast works on it, all of my devices work on it, but sadly this new router with the latest firmware does not work. :(. If I can’t figure this out, I’ll return it.

Update: as a last ditch effort, I cloned my iPad instead of the phone and lo and behold, it worked.

Did you just clone MAC or did you also have to enter the IP address of the iPad. Some hotels it works for a little while, IP of router changes and it stops working

There are two issues to solve, which is not even possible.

First, the router is not andriod and does not have a screen. It does not run browser as phone, pad or tv boxes.

Second is compatilbility. Why do your phone and tv box work with Hilton? Because they (the solution provider, usually Cisco) do compability test to make sure their wifi works for these devices. For routers, they do not do compability test. On the contrary, they try to do some tricks to block routers.

1 Like

Best bet is to use a Ethernet plug and not repeater. Hotel Wi-Fi are tricky.

Except VERY FEW hotel rooms have an Ethernet port to use.

Gl-iNet -really- needs to solve this wifi/captive portal problem.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t necessarily help with some of the older devices with limited RAM, but you could run something like Firefox in a docker to give a browser to the router.

3 Likes

You still don’t explain why other travel routers like Huawei, Netgear and TP-LINK that don’t have a screen and that don’t run Android work straight away and with no complicated tweaks or fuss. How would you explain that one then?

2 Likes

I am so desperate about this issue that by not fixing this GL-inet forced me to invest another 800 USD into my hotel setup (so thanks for this Gl-Inet :smirk:

I’m now using an otherwise useless to me 800 USD Asus ‘zenphone’ 9 (Iphone user here) that has a Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 to connect to hotel WiFis. I find the network performance on this phone to be rock solid and always faster than my iPhones Laptop or any other device really in Wifi in speed tests. It’s also almost always faster than my iPhone on 5G so I highly recommend this phone as a tethering device.
Nice thing is also that it allows you to connect to most wifi networks twice, so you get double the hotel speed limit as it bonds the connection, if you add 5G depending on the price where you are it bonds that with the wifi so you have a lot of connections into one.

I then connect this Asus phone to a USB C to ethernet dongle which also passes usb c charging (i.e. it has 1 usb C out to the phone, one usb C power-in and an ethernet port). I then set the phone to ‘ethernet tethering’ and plug a small ethernet cable in the USB dongle and the WAN port of the Beryl AX.

I can then manage the hotel login page on the Asus phone (need to do it twice if you set the phone to dual band wifi which makes your connection sometimes double as fast as what the hotel has limited you to :crossed_fingers:)

Of course you could also forget about the USB to ethernet dongle and connect the Asus phone directly to the Beryl AX’s USB 3.0 port however, I like maximum reliability and found that unreliable. USB tethering sometimes disconnects and causes some prompts on the phone that I couldn’t figure out how to switch off; the connection is then down until you take care of the prompts. If you use a dongle and ‘ethernet tethering’ mode on the Asus phone it will always default to ethernet tethering as long as the dongle has the ethernet cable attached without any annoying android prompts.
The ethernet dongle solution has never cut out on me even after days so I don’t have to get out of bed to accept some useless Android USB tether prompts.

I guess a lot of people have some extra old android phone laying around to do this with but it really is disappointing that one cannot manage hotel wifi login pages/captive portals from the ‘travel router’ Beryl AX directly and I need to connect 2 other devices totalling USD 850 to it in order to get it to do what I want.

Pls fix this! Thnx!!!

3 Likes

I bring my old Asus Zenfone 4 to use as my travel router. I just connect devices (smartphones, laptop, tablets) directly to the phone hotspot and don’t even bring a router anymore, which adds size, weight and complications. Dual wifi connections on the Asus Zenfone 9 is nice to have, but low speeds of hotel wifi seldom max out a single wifi connection.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

1 Like

Is that phone (or Android phones in general) capable of being a Wifi station (client) and a hotspot (access point) concurrently? Like Beryl does when you manage to fool hotel’s wifi.

1 Like

Pixel phones will do both the client and access point. One thing to keep in mind though is that if you run a VPN on the phone the data of the devices connected to the hotspot does NOT travel through the VPN tunnel. So if you want to tunnel your data you would need to tether the phone to a router.

It depends on the make/model of Android phone. My Asus Zenfone 4 on Android 8 can hotspot either cellular or wifi. I also have an Asus Zenfone 3 on Android 8 that can only hotspot cellular. I expect that most/all newer Android phones can hotspot both.

Responding to OP. I just got a new BerylAX. All my apple devices can connect to it via WiFi but my Asus laptop cannot. I even tried it with an external usb-wifi antenna, still no love for my laptop. It’s never gonna get tested in a hotel if I can’t get it to support my PC.

It can’t connect on either the 2.4 or the 5Ghz band?

Is the BerylAX transmitting on DFS channels, or a channel that the Asus sees?

Can the Asus laptop see the SSIDs, but can’t connect. I’ve got three Asus laptops (two chromebooks and one Windows) and haven’t had this difficulty.

Can you post link to Ethernet dongle?

What you could potentially do set Wi-Fi hotspot on Android and use Beryl AX to repeat that. I’ve found BerylAX to have fastest speeds doing this that wired tethering, but I want to try your dongle method as well if it’s any better

Right. Is there a way to get traffic on hotspot to tunnel through vpn on android phone?

Here is a link to the adapter I’m using. There are way better ones with 2.5Gb for the same price but those were not recognized by android, so I stuck with this one.

If you use android to hotspot share the connection over WiFi you lose the ability to get twice the speed from the hotel as the phone will use one band for the hotspot and one for the connection to hotel WiFi, so you can only login once. Re other comment above, the speed is doubled because you bond two 10Mbit capped (e.g. most Hilton group in US) connections as the phone is logged in twice, once on each band.

What I’m concerned about is that the setup works with 3 NATs, the Hotel NAT, the asus phone and then the GL Inet router. Anyone knows what could be a disadvantage of having so many NATs behind one another?

I read android can do this if you install custom firmware like LineageOS, which I saw is orginally available for the ZenPhone 8. Given the positive experience on the Zenphone 9 I might spring for one and test as I don’t really feel comfortable loading someone’s don’t know who firmware from XDA developers… Any one any experience?

Troubleshooting is ongoing but the problem I’m having does not appear to be related to the Beryl AX router but with my PC. I say this because I swapped the Beryl AX out and tried connecting to a different Access Point, and the problem followed my PC.