Can't successfully connect to Marriott Hotels as repeater

I suspect they are trying to push people to use their premium TV services. Many of the Marriott’s have an option where you can log in to your Netflix and Hulu accounts through their system. My guess is once you do that they monitor everything you do and sell your data. You become one big profile for them…

Travel metrics, room service, special requests, hotel restaurant dining, what you watch on TV, what you watch on Netflix and Hulu, internet browsing… They can data mine a staggering amount.

That’s why I love your routers :grinning: At least they are blind to my internet activities :laughing:

stayed at marriot this weekend. horrible results.
ar750 ver 3.1
let’s see where do I start. first I logged in with laptop wifi adapter to hotel wifi to activate captive portal access (name/room number)
I found the default gateway of 172.20.1.1 and the name with …traceroute 8.8.8.8 --resolve-hostname… and added hostname as above.
then I cloned macaddress of laptop wifi to gli-net mac wan and stopped using laptop wifi adatper completely. since I used 2.4ghz on laptop was using 2.4 ghz antenna for ar750. I disabled all ap for 2.4 ghz and 5ghz on ar750 and used ethernet for client device.

I disabled rebind
used default dns settings, enabled stubby, then tried with dnscrypt proxy

tried this

and made it perm in rc.local

then i had enough and gave up and plugged the usb150 into the router and tried it all over with that device. which failed also.

then I decided to use the mac of one of their acess points. still nothing.

after what felt like hours of reboots and modifications and repeat modifications… I gave up

@rp201rp - at which one did you stay? (brand)

I am a platinum elite with them and stay 50-60 nights per year (usually Sheraton, Westin, W, Courtyard, Springhill, Fairfield, Townplace) and never ran into these issues.
I used to use MT300A for the past 2 years but switched to AR750 and AR750s in the last 6-7 months.

In their “older” locations I usually search for a neglected ethernet port under the desk area or in their one of their AP nodes (I ask for such a room upon check in).
in their newer locations (which I usually prefer) I usually can’t find ports or accessible equipment but manage to successfully connect the GL to their wifi.

only quirk I noticed is that even if I do the captive page on the 1st day of the stay and select a 7 day period, it would still require me to do the captive “login” once a day.

as I finished my reply above something dawned on me -
I was told several times in their marketing materials and sometimes by the reception associates that I am entitled to “enhanced wifi” because of my status with Marriott.

then it got me thinking -
is it possible that they purposely make their “free” basic wifi problematic for use with advanced users just so the guest will pay for the upgrade to “enhanced wifi”?
is it possible that this is why I never had issues connecting and using their networks with my GL routers?

am curious if one of the posters in this thread had issues even with elite status

i was trying to get that working, that wouldn’t be fun. :wink:

Check the box on the back of the TV. It may have a LAN port. I’ve found some of them allow full speed internet access if you plug directly in to them.

1 Like

marriot double tree columbus ohio. the carnorivised, coronvirusted, arnold fest. (they cancelled so many events)

I planned to go to Marriott hotel in Thailand.

But I have to cancel because of the covirus.

seems like none of us will be using the “travel” functions of our “travel routers” for quite a while…
take care and be safe and we’ll get back to figuring out the hotel’s techniques when things will return to normalcy.

… not necessarily …

And FWIW, I haven’t had trouble connecting to Marriott-family internet (I get enhanced for free via my status) in well over a year with my Slates running recent firmwares; I’m on one now. Just make sure “DNS Rebinding Protection” is off.

I’ve had mixed success in various hotels, but found a fairly fool-proof way - albeit not fully in keeping with the “this little box does it all” ethos. It was prompted by me having a free Boingo account with my credit card, and for a couple of weeks on a particular site that a group of us were working on the only access that I could get was via Boingo (no cellular coverage, the site owner wasn’t happy giving us access to their wifi as we’d then be inside their network, but their internet was provided by BT Internet, who by default set their routers to give give guest internet-only access to their subscribers or Boingo). The problem with Boingo is it seems to need you to use their app to connect, and I had mixed luck doing that on the laptop then doing the Mac clone stuff.

So, having just replaced my Android phone, I use the old one to do the outward-facing connection to the hotel or commercial wifi, using Boingo or just logging in to their captive portal. That phone is plugged into my Slate’s USB port, select USB tethering on the Android phone and I can then share the connection onwards with the slate, all protected by the VPN from the slate to my brume back at base.

It does mean carrying another phone and cable with me, but that fits into the pouch with the slate so no big deal. That phone is bare except for the web browser and Boingo app. It’s not as neat as doing config changes on the slate, messing with DNS etc., but pretty much always just plugs in and works.

1 Like