Collecting ideas for making a wireless RV router

We found that some users use our Spitz(GL-X750V2) 4G router on RV (Recreational Vehicle)
:truck: :blue_car: :minibus: , and we would like to collect your thoughts ahead for making our next generation of RV router. You can choose up to 5 features you want most. More ideas can be commented on this post. Thanks :wink:

• 4G LTE cellular
  • 5G cellular
  • USB port
  • Gigabit ethernet ports
  • WiFi 6 (AX)
  • WiFi 5 (AC)
  • High VPN speed
  • Type-C power input
  • GPS
  • Compact size
  • Works with T-mobile data only plan
  • Works with AT&T data only plan
  • Works with Verizon data only plan
  • SMA antenna connector
  • TS-9 antenna connector

0 voters

2 Likes

I feel that the most important features for a router to be used in the wild is missing. Namely, the best & highest gain antennae available in the smallest form factor possible. Some of the stuff from Alfa Networks or Ubiquiti come to mind.

2 Likes

I use multiple Spitz in multiple vehicles. My largest asks are:

5G
Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi 6 (AX)

Detachable antennas either for WiFi or Cellular are nice to haves, but you will find most of us RV folks will be using a Cellular Booster of some kind like weBoost HiBoost, or Wilson. So as long as the performance is at or better than the current Spitz, should be good to go. As for WiFi, I use Ubiquiti APs, so the Gigabit Ethernet is sort of a requirement. 100 Mbps on the GL-X750 Spitz is extremely limiting. Probably one of the things I most hate on the Spitz say vs. the Slate. If it was a cost saving measure not to put Gigabit Ethernet on the Spitz, how much did we actually save?

Detachable antennas for WiFi would definitely be nice so we can use our own antennas for WiFi who donā€™t want to go the external WiFi AP route.

3 Likes

Oh. Can we finally standardize on nano SIM sizes for the SIM reader?

I agree with you that the antenna is very important. I didnā€™t mention the antenna in the poll is because we donā€™t making antenna ourselves, and we usually go out and find the right antennas to match with our product. We found that two antenna connectors: SMA and TS-9 are quite common in the market, and I want to know which one does RV folks prefer?

Is nano SIM better? We currently have a 4G LTE router/gateway with gigabit ports and nano SIM card slot called GL-AP1300LTE. Itā€™s designed for using as a business AP, so it also has PoE and watchdog. Will you consider using it as a RV router if it has a set of cellular booster antenna?

I think for the most part, SMA is generally better, at least in the U.S. ā€” TS-9 is becoming slightly more popular, but majority of 3rd party parts and antennas are still SMA. In the end, either type of connector would be fine.

1 Like

Yeah. Almost everything in the U.S. has switched to nano SIM form factor now. I like the GL-AP1300LTE. If you could get it closer to the form factor of a GL-X750V2, add support for 5G, WiFi 6 (AX), Gigabit Ethernet (LAN/WAN) and the faster CPU, RAM, and NAND from the GL-AP1300LTE and possibly PoE-In support, youā€™d have a winner. Aesthetics for the unit to be ceiling or wall-mountable like the design of the GL-AP1300LTE is probably not really needed. But we really like the small package of the GL-X750V2.

1 Like

What kind of high gain antennas do you prefer? We are looking for suitable outdoor antennas for our current 4G routers as well.

PoE-In would be a big one for me. I have the GL-AP1300LTE and the fact you can power it with PoE is great. I use it just as a router now with external antennas, I turned off the access point and use a unifi AP.

The other thing I think you are missing in your list is supported upgrades / lifecycle. The GL-AP1300 is still massively behind on OpenWRT versions, this is my only source of internet, and I canā€™t use some of the newer OpenWRT features. I use OpenVPN to connect to another internet connection, but this is flakey because the version is so old.

2 Likes

5g (& obvs 4g LTE for where thereā€™s no 5g) and faster vpn for me.
Itā€™d just make the experience more enjoyable. Plus, youā€™d be ahead of the curve, gl-inet always seem to produce better products cheaper than the bigger brandsā€¦ I mean, try getting anything remotely similar from ASUS or anything descent from Dlink or Netgear thatā€™s affordable, and no one ever thinks VPN exept you guys and some obscure firms.
Anyway, thatā€™s what I want, Iā€™ll stop blowing smoke up your ass now.

1 Like

AP1300ļ¼ŒB1300, S1300ā€¦all these products are using the same chipset and the OpenWRT upgrade plan is scheduled. It will happen when we release SDK4.0

I have a WeBoost, but I really want to avoid adding something in the pathway of the signal, not to mention the expense(!!). I wish I didnā€™t need it and often find that although I get more signal, my bandwidth (data rate) drops significantly.

I definitely prefer having SMA connections and the ability to connect either Inside (of the RV) or Outside Antennas, depending on what the Cell environment requires. That gives lots of flexibility. I also like to have SMA ports for the WiFi, that supports the option to use an Outside Antenna to reach weak-signal WiFi from campgrounds and other sources.

With regard to TS-9 ports. We have some Verizon HotSpots that use those and needed get adapter cables to go to SMA connections, which most Antenna Cables seem to have. I donā€™t like adding more adapters/loss if avoidable. Maybe fine for the form-factor of those HotSpots.

Finally, in addition to greater Cell Carrier Flexibility, powering it via a PD port would much more convenient than the too-short power supply and odd-use plug.

1 Like

I found that not many people vote for ā€œcompact sizeā€. We want to know what the biggest size you can accept as a RV router?

I think you are way over-complicating things. For me an AR300M with a USB Mobile Broadband dongle is more than adequate already!
How to improve on that?
A built in modem with SIM slot.
Ability to power off 12V with a standard barrel connector (cigarette lighter connector on the other end)
Keeping the micro (or USB C) power option for 5V use.

Size? As small as possible but most important thing is itā€™s big enough to grab a weakish signal.

Many of the other ideas eg. 5G just make the cost explode - 3G is already more than adequate in a travelling van, 4Gā€™s a bonus!

1 Like

Many ISP shut down their 3G service, 4G is a must now. We do have two 4G routers using the same chipset as AR300M, such as GL-XE300(Puli) and GL-X300B(Collie). The power input of GL-X300B seems odd for RV usage. However, GL-XE300 has a type-C power input and its battery can be a back-up. What is more GL-XE300 allows external antennas but it requires some DIY work.

2 Likes

WAN bonding would also be such a lovely addition for those on the move as ability to combine a couple of weak connections (wifi and 4G for example) to achieve a faster connection is so important when a single wan is often inadequate in the wild.

Iā€™ve decided to buy a Beryl for my little camper (7,40x2,33m). I have a very good feeling with this device, but I am really missing a dataplan management.
As I have a kid on board, it is useful limit the use of youtube/twitch/ā€¦ from time to time. 100GB/Month LTE is more than enough for me and my wife. But barely enough for one day traveling with all three.

And the second thought, maybe I need an external Solution: The Beryl is with 8,65W (1,75A) no problem at any USB port. But with a mobile phone for tethering, the power will go up to 3,85A without any warning ā†’ I hope the fuse will work.
The Beryl is delivered with a 3A power supply and even at a notebook, the port will just go offline. But in a RV, I wonā€™t test what happen.

And of course, I am interested in a external antenna. Maybe from a Laptop display frame around some window. Or better a directional antenna.

1 Like

Would love to see a failover WAN systemā€¦multiWAN support. There are a lot of possibilities. Keep up the great work I love the travel routers!

1 Like

I think your GL-XE300(Puli) GL-X300B(Collie) are good Starting points. Multiple PoE ports would be a game changer. M.2 slots for the modem would allow people to customize to suit their needs. Can you build a better, cheaper [Sierra Wireless AirLink RV55 1104302 Rugged LTE-A Pro Router with Wi-Fi] or [Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G] Going to come down to Price, Power consumption and Upgradability