Connect to home server

I have a running OpenVPS server at home, and imported the ovpn file into my mini router and selected “enable” and “Force VPN”. When trying to connect to the Mini router via Wifi in a friends house (LAN to my friends router and to WAN in the mini router), I would have expected to be connected to my home network, ie be able to access devices at home. But no. Have I missed something or just being too naive :slight_smile:

I am not sure of your exact set-up but many VPN servers do not allow port forwarding - maybe this is your problem.

Thanks Glitch. I’m a bit surprised about what port forwarding has to to with this? Have tried to connect to my ASUS RT-AC51U home router via PPTP (using a windows client), and this worked well giving me access to all the devices on my home network. But what I aim to now is to achieve the same on router level and using the routers Wifi.

@miun. There is a lot of information lacking in your post, but the first issue is to confirm that you are running OpenVPN as opposed to OpenVPS.

You are not clear on if you can connect to your network and not see local resources or if you can not connect.

The tools supplied by GLi are focused on running a TUN configuration to a third party service. while I expect this should work with a OpenVPN server at home, it needs to be running this protocol. TUN, out of the box does not offer access to local resources as you are on a different subnet, but I have seen some references to ways to forward traffic on the OpenWrt forums.

For any level of real help, you should include a clear description of the environment such as

VPN Clinet <=> Friends Router <=> Internet <=> VPN Server <=> Home PCs

Also log files and config files for both devices clearly noting which is server and client.

As you have already the ovpn file I assume the openvpn server works good. Can you try to connect to your openvpn server using windows client, andriod or linux client to make sure the server works and be accessible from the Internet?

Thanks for your help. I have as suggested by alzhao installed an OpenVPN windows client on a PC (attached to “Friends router”), and placed the ovpn-file from my ASUS VPN-server into the C:\Programs\OpenVPN\config folder on my PC. Works as expected, and I have full access to all devices eg 192.168.0.1 which is the VPN-server at home. Also I can access other devices on my home network without problems :slight_smile:

It is not fully transparent to me what happens when I connect the AR300M to my "Friends router"s (WAN in the AR300M connected to a LAN-port in my “Friends router”. When I try to connect my Android mobile via the AR300M’s wifi connection, an exclamation mark indicates that there is no internet access this way.

I think that the AR300M is connected to my home network, please see the attached log extract (ip address has been altered). I assume that the instance named :62812 is my windows client, and the instance named :48411 is the AR300M, but thats only a guess.

My aim is to be able to let a chromecast connect to the AR300M’s wifi, and this way deliver streaming services as if I was sitting at home where the VPN server is located. Will this be possible?

I have also attached a screen print showing the advanced configuration settings of my VPN-server at home.

From the log, it connect but there is not data going through.

If you can let me try I can support you in private emails so that you info is not leaked.

My email: alzhao at gl-inet dot com

The default config from the Asus router can connect in the mini router but cannot forward data. The following setting of Asus Openvpn server make it works in the mini router.

Thank you so much Alzhao!! Now everything works to perfection. The mini-router is connected to my home router, and I can connect devices - including a chromecast - and as all devices are on the same wifi, the chromecast works and I can see streaming video as if I was sitting at home :slight_smile: I believe this is the perfect solution, as using VPN-services as for example PrivateInternetAccess is a never ending cat-and-mouse race where the streaming services try to block for new ip’s identified as VPN’s. This solution is undetectable by the streaming services :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your outstanding support and service to make this work with my home OpenVPN server :slight_smile:

Which Asus router are you using please?

ASUS RT-AC51U

Somehow the screenshot that seems having been attached as your solution to the problem seems not being visible any more. Would you please kindly post it again?

I’m struggling with similar problem; My GL-AR300M-ext sets up OpenVPN connection successfully to my remote ASUS 4G-AC55U that is acting as my OpenVPN server. Despite that data is not forwarded beteween between my hosts in my LAN behind 4G-AC55U and my client connected to GL-AR300M-ext.

Please check again. I reupload the picture.

Superb, many thanks alzhao for your superfast help, I’ll try following these instructions.

Sharing following in case anyone else struggling with the same with ASUS 4G-AC55U running its embedded OpenVPN server: Because of a reason unknown to me, access to my remote LAN didn’t work despite I had “Push LAN to client” turned on. It turned out that enabling static routes setting made the trick (there was even no need to define any static routes, it was just enough to have it enabled!).
Initially my settings were as shown in the screenshot:
Static%20Route

Hi everyone,
please, ask for help for the reverse way:
I have a server vpn router with asus rt n10u which, using the windows vpn client, I connect easily using the phone network and that of home wifi. If you use the AR300M mini router the vps doesn’t work. I tried to make some settings as per reading but no positive result.
The following is the case. public ip fastweb, with fiber, this turns the input to the Asus rt n10u router where the vpn is active.
What checks can I check?
The log registry is:

[VPN]
Encoding=1
PBVersion=1
Type=2
AutoLogon=0
UseRasCredentials=1
LowDateTime=464589472
HighDateTime=30729593
DialParamsUID=44774455
Guid=89D81E594EE0AF47AC75C3D5C712E6A1
VpnStrategy=1
ExcludedProtocols=0
LcpExtensions=1
DataEncryption=8
SwCompression=0
NegotiateMultilinkAlways=0
SkipDoubleDialDialog=0
DialMode=0
OverridePref=15
RedialAttempts=3
RedialSeconds=60
IdleDisconnectSeconds=0
RedialOnLinkFailure=1
CallbackMode=0
CustomDialDll=
CustomDialFunc=
CustomRasDialDll=
ForceSecureCompartment=0
DisableIKENameEkuCheck=0
AuthenticateServer=0
ShareMsFilePrint=1
BindMsNetClient=1
SharedPhoneNumbers=0
GlobalDeviceSettings=0
PrerequisiteEntry=
PrerequisitePbk=
PreferredPort=VPN3-0
PreferredDevice=WAN Miniport (PPTP)
PreferredBps=0
PreferredHwFlow=1
PreferredProtocol=1
PreferredCompression=1
PreferredSpeaker=1
PreferredMdmProtocol=0
PreviewUserPw=1
PreviewDomain=0
PreviewPhoneNumber=0
ShowDialingProgress=1
ShowMonitorIconInTaskBar=1
CustomAuthKey=25
CustomAuthData=31444243190000005A000000010000005A0000000100000001000000010000002F000000170000000000000032002E003200330035002E003200300031002E00
CustomAuthData=320035003200000001000000170000001A00000001000000000000000000000000000000000000000000314442431A0000000800000001000000000000000000
CustomAuthData=0000
AuthRestrictions=512
IpPrioritizeRemote=1
IpInterfaceMetric=0
IpHeaderCompression=0
IpAddress=0.0.0.0
IpDnsAddress=0.0.0.0
IpDns2Address=0.0.0.0
IpWinsAddress=0.0.0.0
IpWins2Address=0.0.0.0
IpAssign=1
IpNameAssign=1
IpDnsFlags=0
IpNBTFlags=1
TcpWindowSize=0
UseFlags=2
IpSecFlags=0
IpDnsSuffix=
Ipv6Assign=1
Ipv6Address=::
Ipv6PrefixLength=0
Ipv6PrioritizeRemote=1
Ipv6InterfaceMetric=0
Ipv6NameAssign=1
Ipv6DnsAddress=::
Ipv6Dns2Address=::
Ipv6Prefix=0000000000000000
Ipv6InterfaceId=0000000000000000
DisableClassBasedDefaultRoute=0
DisableMobility=0
NetworkOutageTime=1800
ProvisionType=0
PreSharedKey=

NETCOMPONENTS=
ms_msclient=1
ms_server=1

MEDIA=rastapi
Port=VPN3-0
Device=WAN Miniport (PPTP)

DEVICE=vpn
PhoneNumber=2.235.X.X
AreaCode=
CountryCode=0
CountryID=0
UseDialingRules=0
Comment=
FriendlyName=
LastSelectedPhone=0
PromoteAlternates=0
TryNextAlternateOnFail=1

Thanks in advace.
Lucas

You need to get the OpenVPN config file .ovpn

This is for windows and have no idea of that it is.

Alzaho,
Thanks for your reply.
Please can you tell me in detail what I have to do because I am a little ignorant on the subject of vpn even though I have tried several modifications … do you mean that I have to download that configuration file from Open BRT and upload it to the ar300 as a client?