Difference between VPN Server and VPN client

I have a brand new AR750S and am really happy with it.
I have set up VPN Client using ProtonVPN and your instructions
This works well, the speed is slow it otherwise works as expected, the clients are passing through the VPN
My question is, what is the difference between OpenVPN Client and OpenVPN Server, why and when would I use the OpenVPN Server way of configuring VPN on this device ?
Thanks in advance.

Your ProtonVPN is the server in your case, they have the OpenVPN Server configured on their side.

GL routers let you set up your own server, so you can for example have one router at home as a server, and then a second device, either your phone a second router as the client when you are on the go.

Many GL users have a B1300/S1000/MV1000 at home, and a Mudi/AR750s/Spitz with them outside.

I just don’t understand how you can set up a VPN Server at home, that is why I use ProtonVPN, I cannot see how I could set up my own OpenVPN server ?
Thanks for your reply.

First it depends what you are using the VPN for. If you just want to bypass netflix blocks or something like this at home, then using an external VPN such as ProtonVPN is required.

If you want to just stay safe when you are outside so your traffic is not monitored, or you want to be able to access your network at files remotely, then you can set up your own VPN at home, and use it when away.

The GL interface lets you easily set up such a server. You can follow the guide here:

https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/app/openvpn/

HOWEVER, OpenVPN is pretty old and slow, the latest VPN protocol is called Wireguard. It is more secure and faster than OpenVPN. You can also set up a server at home and a client for remote access easily, you can see here how to do that:

https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/app/wireguard/

Thanks this makes sense!
I noticed the OpenVPN speed problems.
Unfortunately ProtonVPN does not support Wireguard yet.
Thanks for replying.

You will get around 20mbit maximum on OpenVPN, but around 80mbit with Wireguard

Yes, I’m trying to find something faster for home user, looks like the MV1000 is not really what I’m looking for , the S1000 I cannot find, I am looking for something like the AR750S but with FAST VPN for streaming, I may have to go to Netgear etc.

so long as you dont need wifi. the mv1000 will suite your needs. but if you need wifi, then $30 additional with external usb wifi dongle.
mv1000 is a powerhouse.

You want an OpenWRT based router for easier VPN setup. I think GL is till the only one that has a nice Wireguard configuration interface as well. On other routers, unless they have VPN server in their interface, there is no way to install it like you can on OpenWRT.

So you would set up the MV1000 and put a WiFi Dongle on the MV1000… ?

Problem is the 25Mbps OpenVPN limit ;-(

If you use the S1300 from Amazon above, with your AR750s, you would get close to 80mbit using Wireguard.

You still haven’t said what you use the VPN for exactly :stuck_out_tongue:

I use VPN for everything, I am usually connected to VPN from Linux, Mac OS X and smart devices but the reason I need speed is for the streaming from Kodi and Android TV side loaded APKs, I have RealDebrid but I often just watch show so I need a bit of speed.
I am a ProtonVPN subscriber and they don’t have Wireguard support for now!