Does any one successfully setup syncthing on AXT-1800?

Another fresh start.

I am currently here:-

and I can confirm that I can add/delete files via SFTP to the /root folder.

I added the “my bezels” folder but “Sync” was already there.

I also confirm that mkdir (via ssh) creates folders in the root folder.

Is this looking OK so far?

What next?

1 Like

When I try
chmod -R syncthing:syncthing /mnt/sda1/syncthing

I get
chmod invalid mode ‘syncthing:syncthing’

Ah, I see you’re using the NTFS filesystem. That’s a Windows thing conflicting with Linux/Unix permissions… which require the approp. Linux/Unix filesystem. I don’t think you need to worry about it in this case as you’re just in testing mode.

When you’re ready to connect a permanent USB drive to the Slate AX let me know; some filesystems are better than others for flash-based media. NTFS is old, dated, Windows… but fine if you’re still using mechanical HDDs (eg: ‘spinning rust’). Carry on as if the chmod doesn’t matter… because they don’t ATM.

Once logged into the Syncthing GUI (Step 4), power cycle the Slatex AX & make sure it survives a reboot.

Your USB drive is at /mnt/sda5 per your latest screen shot. You need to test read, write access to that folder/dir fr within your SFTP app.

cd /mnt/sda5 (change directory) will get you there by SSH.

(Sorry, the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet.)

Genuinely, no more than 25 minutes ago, I have finally managed to access the Syncthing gui for the AXT1800.
Done a reboot and access persists, so I think I am 95% there.
I have been able to connect/add new devices via the gui’s (my tab/router/Batocera machine can all see each other and the appropriate prompts pop up to confirm adding to network.
I can write/delete directly to the /mnt/sda5 directory (using the cd command) but something is still not quite right because I am getting these messages :-1:

If I just
mkdir supertestfolder
it gets created in

So right now Syncthing is configured to its defaults & thinks its default data dir is /root/Sync. That’s not your USB stick; that’s a dir on the onboard flash.

You need to edit the openwrt syncthing conf to point to your proper mount & its Syncthing dir. If you’ve already done that then try Syncthing GUI → Actions → Settings → General → Default Configuration [ Edit Folder Defaults ]. Input the full path to the Syncthing data dir that matches the one fr /etc/config/syncthing.conf.

See my example conf above.

I decided to sort out a larger usb and went through the process again.

I get to here but /mnt/sda1 is write only and I have been trying to figure this out all day.

You’re close. If Automount Filesystem is ticked, I’d Unmount, then Delete, Save, Save & apply. Reboot (LuCI → System → Reboot). If it’s still not mounted after bootup, then tick Anonymous Mount; Save, Save & apply.

Reboot. Check the mount point’s path; you should have no problem reading or writing files via SFTP.

The only way to get anywhere has been to reset the firmware again. I’m back to where I was in the last screenshot but also in the same situation regarding /mnt/sda1 is read only.

If I don’t reset the firmware I end up on a merry-go-round where it won’t show as mounted in the mount points section.

Can’t write to the /mnt/sda1 directory via SFTP either but no problems writing to the root folder.

Could this be causing problems?

Nope, it’s usual. See my Flint2:

1 Like

I have just noticed this:-

I have just tried and I can write to the mtdblock9 folder but not sda1.

The only mount point/storage target/drive we’re worried about is /mnt/sda1. R/W should be enabled by default for anything you read, write, delete within /mnt/sda1 (or whatever the mount point path is for your connected USB drive — see the ‘Mounted file systems’ in LuCI).

Via SSH please post the output… not as a screenshot but as text, for the following:

• mount
  • blkid
  • df -h

Use three backticks (```) as new lines before & after

so
lines
format
like this

for each command’s output.

Afternoon.
At about midnight I gave up and first thing this morning I swapped the usb for a microsd.

At the moment, I have Syncthing running on my router and my tablet. But on the router, it fails to create any folders. I can create them in ssh/SFTP and see them (and add stuff to them) but they are not recognised properly in the router Syncthing gui, it shows:-

I have tried ‘actions’ to set the defaults but no joy.

With regard to the info you need, is the command

‘’‘mount’‘’

etc? (but with back ticks from the terminal keyboard)

root@GL-AXT1800:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock13 43.3M 43.3M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 209.8M 2.4M 207.5M 1% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_2 53.9M 13.6M 37.5M 27% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 53.9M 13.6M 37.5M 27% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0 59.5G 87.7M 59.4G 0% /tmp/mountd/disk1_part1
root@GL-AXT1800:~# blkid
/dev/ubi0_1: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/ubi0_2: UUID=“023c8564-9b1f-49f9-b8aa-edc33051317d” TYPE=“ubifs”
/dev/mtdblock9: UUID=“434930875” TYPE=“ubi”
/dev/mmcblk0: LABEL=“Network Shares” BLOCK_SIZE=“512” UUID=“01DA4EB2B0C42240” TYPE=“ntfs”
/dev/mtdblock13: TYPE=“squashfs”
root@GL-AXT1800:~# mount
/dev/mtdblock13 on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/ubi0_2 on /overlay type ubifs (rw,noatime,assert=read-only,ubi=0,vol=2)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,mode=700)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,noatime)
/dev/mmcblk0 on /tmp/mountd/disk1_part1 type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)
root@GL-AXT1800:~#

Sorry, ignore all that.
My Axt1800 locked up with nothing but a blue flashing led. I tried just powering down a few times but eventually had to resort to using the reset button, so now I am back to square one yet again.

My problems seem to be caused by Luci not mounting the device correctly.

I navigate to System/mount points, select the device and then enter /mnt/sda1 in the custom box of the drop down menu.

But then what?
If I “save” then “save&apply”, it doesn’t save the mount point.
I have tried this via Luci on my Android tablet and I have also booted into Linux Mint on my pc but the same thing happens.

There must be something else I need to do at “custom” stage?

Reflash/reset to stock; let OpenWrt first pick up the fact there’s a storage device attached. Then we can check its automatically assigned mount point within LuCI & those three SSH commands.

You’ll still need SFTP. Until you can confirm read, write to the (now SD card) storage device, you can leave Syncthing alone.

(Please use backticks for posting output, the key above Tab, now that you’re at your computer. It really does make things easier to read.)

Let’s start from a ‘clean Slate’… I’ll see myself out.

I really don’t understand the backticks thing?

Imagine trying to read this code section of the following post without using code formatting:

(You’d go near cross-eyed when you stare at code all day… like I do.)

I understand the reason why you want the information presented differently.
What I absolutely don’t understand is what I am supposed to do?
Where do I put the backticks and when?