Does any one successfully setup syncthing on AXT-1800?

i have created similar post before but since then no working solution have found .

updated to the latest firmware. but the same problems persisted… whenever i start or restart the syncthing . AXT-1800 internal firmware auto change my mount into “ro” readonly.

doesn’t matter i use root or syncthing in /etc/config/syncthing or /etc/init.d/syncthing

non of them got my synching working.

keep kindly help me with this. i really need to use syncthing.

How about this one

Can you ask the user?

saw that post awhile ago …thought it’s an outdated post so ignore it.

yea but why not …let me uninstall mine and manually install this one see if it’s works :wink:

aaaar. that package are no longer exist …

I’m unsure how to check the status of Syncthing package in vanilla OpenWRT, is it still being maintained?

just updated to the new 4.1 firmware …like all the new available new functions …

but in regard of the synching. it’s still behave the exact same way …but this time at least I can easily got the log for it …

long story short …after the upgrade reinstall the synching 1.18 on the repo…
/etc/config/syncthing as synching user don’t have permission to do anything so I changed into “root”

it’s succesfully add the shared folder and synced a few MBs …then it’s stoped …

I checked with command cat /proc/mounts. found out that the file system automatically put it on readonly mode for some reason .

and the GUI kernel log show this …

anyone have any clue why it’s this happen ?

Use NTFS formatted SD card instead of ExFAT!
It seems to work nicely.

1 Like

aarrrr…I primary use Mac and linux (pi, truenas, ubuntu)… installing/maintaining fuse for my all others Mac/linux would not be ideal and comes with whole others set of issues. (read only, performance, write issues even if it’s works, sometime…)

I got 500-700g of video editing files using synching, every 2ish months. accessing it thru fuse would be pain in the butt.

I do have some windows in VM only run occasionally thro …but sharing it thro VM smb to Mac host , again …not very stable in my experince.

just got my hand on the new GL-MT2500 for my other office vpn tiny node.

notice the firmware are bit newer 4.1.1 and the synching I can install from the repo are little bit newer too 1.19.xx

installed and config the same way …( just change the /etc/config/syncthing “1” ) and can login into synching web GUI …

same as previous result . the mounted USB auto switch to ro (readonly as soon as it’s start syncing )

again I did tried as “root” …same thing …

anyone knows what going on ?

I don’t know what’s going on, but if your storage device on the router stays with the router, it doesn’t matter to any of the client what file system the storage is using.

Personally I would use ext4 over NTFS on the router’s storage device, and set the options in Syncthing on all devices to ignore / not sync permissions and ownership data etc.

I’m not sure about your problem, but I’ll probably end up back in this thread soon as I’m planning to set up Syncthing on my AXT-1800 whenever I can find the time & energy.

Did you ever manage to get this working?

Yup.

root@slateax:~# opkg list-installed | grep syncthing
syncthing - 1.18.2-1

As far as I remember, the problem with syncthing is / was that you need exroot for it and need to mount a data storage - which is “advanced” usage.

You don’t. There’s a conf (two, technically) to point to a specified mount, dir. You’re right about needing SSH though.

1 Like

Once you have downloaded the plug in, how do you activate it?

Just to be clear on the terminology: it’s not really a plugin; it’s a standalone program that runs on the router (instead of your PC for example).

This assumes Slate AX firmware 4.4.6-release1 (GL GUI → System → Upgrade). You’ll need to

1. Have a storage device/target already mounted (in my case it is /mnt/sda1)
    • have a directory on said storage target ‘owned’ by the syncthing user
      • in my case all Syncthing data/‘folders’ are under /mnt/sda1/syncthing
        • mkdir /mnt/sda1/syncthing
        • chown -R syncthing:syncthing /mnt/sda1/syncthing
  2. Set the first (OpenWrt Linux) Syncthing configuration file to match the storage target & enable the Syncthing Web GUI
    • nano /etc/config/syncthing
      • match my values as needed per the below output example
      • adjust option nice to a higher number (eg: 15) so Syncthing runs with less impact/performance on the CPU/SOC for more critical running programs/processes as desired
  3. Execute /etc/init.d/syncthing enable; /etc/init.d/syncthing start
    • confirm it’s running & will do so on reboot via ps -w | grep syncthing; service | grep syncthing
  4. Navigate to https://192.168.8.1:8384 & log into the Syncthing Web GUI

There’s another conf (/mnt/sda1/synchting/conf.xml) that can be editied but it should be enough to use the web GUI instead. Just be sure to match the storage target dirs/paths to the syncthing-owned directory.

root@slateax:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
mtd:ubi_rootfs           52.8M     52.8M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   196.4M    640.0K    195.8M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_2              45.6M     25.5M     17.8M  59% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       45.6M     25.5M     17.8M  59% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p1          115.9G     13.6G    101.7G  12% /mnt/sda
root@slateax:~# ls -l /mnt/sda1/
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root        4.0K Jan  9 17:12 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         296 Jan  9 18:27 ..
drwx------    7 syncthin syncthin    4.0K Jan 12 20:35 syncthing
root@slateax:~# cat /etc/config/syncthing

config syncthing 'syncthing'
        option enabled '1'

# option gui_address 'http://127.0.0.1:8384'
        option gui_address 'http://0.0.0.0:8384'

# Use internal flash for evaluation purpouses. Use external storage
        #   for production.
        # This filesystem must either support ownership/attributes or
        #   be readable/writable by the user specified in
        #   'option user'.
        # Consult syslog if things go wrong.
        option home '/mnt/sda1/syncthing'

# Changes to "niceness"/macprocs are not picked up by "reload_config"
        #   nor by "restart": the service has to be stopped/started
        #   for those to take effect
        option nice '10'

# 0 to match the number of CPUs (default)
        # >0 to explicitly specify concurrency
        option macprocs '0'

# Running as 'root' is possible, but not recommended
        option user 'syncthing'

option logfile '/var/log/syncthing.log'
        option log_max_old_files 7
        # Size in bytes
        option log_max_size 1048576

# # CLI options with no value should be defined as booleans and theirs
        # # names should be prefixed with '_'.
        option _no_default_folder '1'

# # Extra settings
        # list _ 'verbose'
root@slateax:~# ps -w | grep syncthing; service | grep syncthing
 2894 syncthing      1376 S    /usr/bin/syncthing
/etc/init.d/syncthing             enabled         running

You’ll probably want to review this HOW-TO before digging into Syncthing if you’ve never used SSH or edited text/conf files on Linux:

If it’s that complicated, I have absolutely no chance lol.
I was hoping that I could just log in, turn it on and point it to the various devices/folders. I have managed to set up Syncthing on my pc running Batocera and also my phone and my tablet but I wanted to get all my game saves onto a usb plugged into the axt1800 so I can access them away from home.

It’s little more than editing a text file. This is no more difficult than tweaking a .ini for Windows-based gaming of whatever new flavor/fad of the week is being shilled by those washouts on YouTube.

You can handle the power of embedded Linux; you’ve already made a solid start with Batocera Linux.

I wish I shared your optimism, most of this just baffles me.

I have read so many things online over the last few days.
I am pretty sure I read that once you download the Syncthing plug in, it just replaces (takes control) of the default network sharing?
But if that is the case, should my plugins page say Syncthing or does it remain the same?
Screenshot_20240118_210236_glinet