Does any one successfully setup syncthing on AXT-1800?

This is really starting to fry my brain!

Ssh shows this:-

But Luci shows this:-

and no matter what I try, I cannot edit the mount point to /mnt/sda5

And the mkdir command tells me that “mkdir: can’t create directory ‘/mnt/sda5’: File exists”.

Finally!
After a second firmware reset (this time with the usb already plugged in), I am getting this:-

I think (hope) that it means I have the first stage ready?

You look like you’re there… but now’s the time to test it & confirm expectations:

Nope, tried and tried all day, just couldn’t create a directory, couldn’t set the custom mount point, I tried most (if not all) the various commands in ssh and the responses seemed valid, but just couldn’t get anywhere.
And to add insult to injury, Batocera beta has just updated and I can ssh in but when I try to access the Syncthing gui, it refuses to accept the login details.

Ouch. I never touch beta for ‘production’… only when I want to f— around & find out. I’d straighten that out first.

Then come back to this whole mounting roadblock afterwards. Reflash the Slate AX back to stock & power cycle it afterwards w/ your test USB drive already attached. (GL GUI → System → Reset Firmware).

You can pull a backup for everything else via LuCI → System → Backup / Flash FIrmware → Backup → [ Generate achieve ]. If you feel the need to do so beforehand.

After posting the screenshot earlier (that I had cropped too much), I noticed that the filesystem at dev/sda5 wasn’t mounted (this screenshot is how it was).
No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get both to show as mounted.

Is there anything I can do to the usb prior, to inserting it, that would help?
I am going to completely reformat anyway, but should I put any folders etc on there?

Per the line /dev/sda5 /tmp/mountd/disk1_part1 3.71GB / 3.73GB 0.73% (27.76 MiB) it appears there’s a mountd daemon (a running background process) already intervening & setting up the mount for you. That mount point is subject to change when you connect another USB drive.

If you run df -h fr SSH you should see something as /tmp/mountd/disk1_part1. That would be the USB drives auto-assigned mount point per that daemon.

So, even if it isn’t showing as mounted in Luci, as long as its listed as mounted when I check via ssh, I can take that as meaning its OK?

It’s showing as mounted in LuCI. It’s just the particular path/mount point that’s… not 100% ideal… for Syncthing but it is serviceable. The point is that it appears to be mounted.

Here’s something you’d probably have to do in the future anyway.

• Fr SSH: opkg update; opkg install openssh-sftp-server
  • Download a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) app to your iOS device.
  • Login to 192.168.8.1, port 22, root & your GL GUI password via said app
  • Navigate to the USB drive’s path/mount point
  • Upload, download some files (eg: music, video clips, whatever) to confirm read, write access as the root user.

Another fresh start.

I am currently here:-

and I can confirm that I can add/delete files via SFTP to the /root folder.

I added the “my bezels” folder but “Sync” was already there.

I also confirm that mkdir (via ssh) creates folders in the root folder.

Is this looking OK so far?

What next?

1 Like

When I try
chmod -R syncthing:syncthing /mnt/sda1/syncthing

I get
chmod invalid mode ‘syncthing:syncthing’

Ah, I see you’re using the NTFS filesystem. That’s a Windows thing conflicting with Linux/Unix permissions… which require the approp. Linux/Unix filesystem. I don’t think you need to worry about it in this case as you’re just in testing mode.

When you’re ready to connect a permanent USB drive to the Slate AX let me know; some filesystems are better than others for flash-based media. NTFS is old, dated, Windows… but fine if you’re still using mechanical HDDs (eg: ‘spinning rust’). Carry on as if the chmod doesn’t matter… because they don’t ATM.

Once logged into the Syncthing GUI (Step 4), power cycle the Slatex AX & make sure it survives a reboot.

Your USB drive is at /mnt/sda5 per your latest screen shot. You need to test read, write access to that folder/dir fr within your SFTP app.

cd /mnt/sda5 (change directory) will get you there by SSH.

(Sorry, the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet.)

Genuinely, no more than 25 minutes ago, I have finally managed to access the Syncthing gui for the AXT1800.
Done a reboot and access persists, so I think I am 95% there.
I have been able to connect/add new devices via the gui’s (my tab/router/Batocera machine can all see each other and the appropriate prompts pop up to confirm adding to network.
I can write/delete directly to the /mnt/sda5 directory (using the cd command) but something is still not quite right because I am getting these messages :-1:

If I just
mkdir supertestfolder
it gets created in

So right now Syncthing is configured to its defaults & thinks its default data dir is /root/Sync. That’s not your USB stick; that’s a dir on the onboard flash.

You need to edit the openwrt syncthing conf to point to your proper mount & its Syncthing dir. If you’ve already done that then try Syncthing GUI → Actions → Settings → General → Default Configuration [ Edit Folder Defaults ]. Input the full path to the Syncthing data dir that matches the one fr /etc/config/syncthing.conf.

See my example conf above.

I decided to sort out a larger usb and went through the process again.

I get to here but /mnt/sda1 is write only and I have been trying to figure this out all day.

You’re close. If Automount Filesystem is ticked, I’d Unmount, then Delete, Save, Save & apply. Reboot (LuCI → System → Reboot). If it’s still not mounted after bootup, then tick Anonymous Mount; Save, Save & apply.

Reboot. Check the mount point’s path; you should have no problem reading or writing files via SFTP.

The only way to get anywhere has been to reset the firmware again. I’m back to where I was in the last screenshot but also in the same situation regarding /mnt/sda1 is read only.

If I don’t reset the firmware I end up on a merry-go-round where it won’t show as mounted in the mount points section.

Can’t write to the /mnt/sda1 directory via SFTP either but no problems writing to the root folder.

Could this be causing problems?