Does any one successfully setup syncthing on AXT-1800?

All I know at the moment is that I cannot access the gui via the ip address.

These are plugins prepared by GL - you can’t add some nor remove them.

Wait… what the Hell is that screenshot? I don’t recognize the GUI.

You’re going to have a real hard time (read: no chance) setting this up via phone, especially iOS.

Man your battle station, my guy.

Well spotted.
That was just screen grabs to show what is/isn’t active on the Axt1800.
I used the Syncthing app to set up my pc/phone/tab connections and it was fairly easy if I did it one step at a time.
But the app doesn’t “see” the Axt1800 in “devices” so I can’t add it. That’s what makes me think that Syncthing just needs to be activated on the router?

You’ve got it installed. Now you need to configure it… after you make sure there’s a storage device present to use as a Syncthing storage target.

… which leads us back to that 4-step breakdown on such. See the link to that HOW-TO for the fundamentals & recommendations for software to allow you to ‘SSH into’ your Slate AX so you can get at those required Syncthing conf/text files.

Side note: I’m pretty sure we’ve both heard the old mantra of ‘always have a backup’ too many times so I won’t bother repeating it… or did I just do that?

I have Termius on my tablet to ssh into router and I can get to the root@GL-AXT1800:~#
But then I am totally lost at what to do next.

I have been into the Luci interface and I can see that Syncthing is definitely installed and enabled.
My usb is correctly mounted.
But I just cannot access the gui.
If I go to the Syncthing gui on any of my devices, they can see each other but none of them can see the GlAxt1800. I am fairly confident that it is something silly I haven’t done yet.

It’s not you; it’s the upstream packaging team from OpenWrt which built this particular ipk & its default confs.

They didn’t enable the Syncthing GUI to be accessible by any other connected device other than when logged into the router itself via SSH by default. Their position is to automatically allow ‘anyone’ to immed. connect to Syncthing immed. after installation is a potential security hole as there’s no default password on the Syncthing GUI. I can agree with them but it doesn’t exactly make things any easier unless the end user already knew to be aware of that… as you’re finding out ATM.

You need to edit the OpenWrt Syncthing conf value of gui_address. Match my values above for the entire file, adjusting for your mount point/storage target’s syncthing data dir & CPU ‘nice’ values… but really, just start at the top & take it step by step. Use the nano text editor if you have it. Check your progress against the command output(s) in my examples.

Once done configuring the permissions (chmod) & conf per above execute /etc/init.d/syncthing stop && /etc/init.d/syncthing start to reload Syncthing so it picks up the new config to be in effect.

I have been trying this for the last couple of hours now but something is just not right.
Forgetting about Syncthing for the time being, I tried to set sharing via Samba. I have gone through all the setup, created read/write user etc and saved everything.
At first both my phone and my tablet could see the shared drive but I was getting an error if I tried to create a new test folder. I went into Luci and deleted the mount point and set it up again. Now both devices can see/read/write to the usb drive via Samba when connected to the same WiFi network, so at least I am getting somewhere.
Now I am trying to set up WEBDAV. I have enabled everything, set up the users and permissions but I am stuck at the WAN IP bit.
How do I find out my WAN IP?

I can’t help you on WebDAV, SMB/Samba. I don’t use, won’t use it. Start a new thread.

I’m only mentioning it because I decided to go back to the start (kinda thing) just to make sure the basics were working, lucky I did because that’s how I found out my mount point was wrong/corrupt. And I needed to prove to myself that I could at least follow the basic instructions.
I had already tried a similar site to get my wan ip (same result) but I still couldn’t access the usb remotely but I think (having seen the additional information your link has provided) that one of my problems is that I am using a VPN. So I’ll keep working on that.

Ultimately, I need to get Syncthing working because it is the only way to access network shares in Batocera. Now I know that my usb is mounted correctly, I can start working my way through your instructions.

SMB, WebDAV, DLNA have a whole different set of configuration files to fight with.

If you can echo $date > /[insert Mount Point Of The Usb Drive Here]/myusbwritetest.txt && cat /[insert Mount Point Of The Usb Drive Here]/myusbwritetest.txt you know you’re able to read, write as the root (eg: Administrator in Windows parlance). rm /[insert Mount Point Of The Usb Drive Here]/myusbwritetest.txt removes (deletes) that test file.

df -h will show you what is the specific mount point/storage device target path.

Actually, you have just reminded me of a question.
In Luci the mount options are
root filesystem
or
external overlay

Am I correct in choosing root?

If your storage device was detected LuCI should show you something like:

Does that look good?
Because I notice that the mount point is different.

It’s not mounted. You don’t have a mount point. Drop into SSH & mkdir /mnt/sda5. Then come back to that page to ‘Edit’ to match the same path in LuCI → Mount Point → [ custom ] . Save, Save & apply.

(That’s a 4GB USB stick. Are you sure that’ll be enough space?)

I have just tried that and the mkdir said directory already exists and Luci doesn’t show it in the list at all but when I try to add it, it won’t let save the custom address.

I might have to do a complete firmware refresh and start again because I think all my tinkering has messed things up.

And the 4gb is just one I had handy to experiment with.

You have to type in /mnt/sda5 into that [ custom ] field. It doesn’t automatically populate.

That’s what I tried to do but the option to save wouldn’t show.