Firmware 4.2.x is out as snapshot firmware

UPGRADE you canā€™t migrate settings again and canā€™t reuse a previous config file. Need to setup everything from default.

1 Like

I managed to upgrade without issues,ā€¦ Though I was panicking to Not find ā€œBackup configurationā€ anywhere,ā€¦

Also as usual,ā€¦ Port Forwarding rules are still ignored for other ip addresses if DMZ is enabled :hot_face:

So canā€™t use my NAS :face_vomiting:

I mean, thatā€™s kind of the definition of DMZ, right?

What do you need DMZ for? Convenience?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this is the problem of this particular version, but I recently purchased the device and ran into a problem using this and maybe previous version.

I am using WireGuard client with a list of domains that use VPN. I noticed that sometimes the traffic to these domains stops going through the VPN, I had to reset the device and configure it again.

But I think I found a problem in vpnpolicy file.
It works when it is like this:

config policy 'global'
	option kill_switch '0'
	option wan_access '0'
	option service_policy '1'
	option vpn_server_policy '1'

config service 'route_policy'
	option proxy_mode '3'

config policy 'vlan'
	option private '1'
	option guest '1'

config policy 'domain'
	option domain '
>>HERE IS MY DOMAINS LIST<<
'
	option default_policy '0'

but sometimes it changes to this one and stop working:

config policy 'global'
	option kill_switch '0'
	option wan_access '0'
	option service_policy '1'
	option vpn_server_policy '1'

config service 'route_policy'
	option proxy_mode '3'

config policy 'vlan'
	option private '1'
	option guest '1'

config policy 'domain'
	option default_policy '0'
	option domain '
>>HERE IS MY DOMAINS LIST<<
'

so I think that problem is in line option default_policy '0'

can someone please confirm this problem or propose a way to fix it?

GL-AX1800

Also I canā€™t connect to router using SFTP. The default settings are set. SSH connection is working. But SFTP fails, I tried Cyberduck, Terminus and Fugu clients. They give me different errors. Cyberduck tell something about ā€œEOF while reading packetā€. Fugu just cant connect. And Terminus freezes and throw me EOF error too.

GL-AX1800

:roll_eyes: If only you were part of previous discussions related to this jdub, you wouldā€™ve known that i need DMZ Enabled on one NAS address and rest others to follow port forwarding rules (instead of getting blocked). This is nothing new, most of my previous routers allowed me this type of setting,ā€¦

So in reviewing the discussion, you donā€™t need DMZ - you just have a lot of ports you want to forward, so itā€™s more convenient. Gotcha.

I stand by my statement.

(p.s., just because ā€œmost of [your] previous routers allowed [you] this type of setting,ā€¦ā€ doesnā€™t mean they were implementing it correctly. There are tradeoffs to both approaches, but the way itā€™s currently implemented here is the way itā€™s typically done)

1 Like

Iā€™m my situation, Any solution, which come from other router guyā€™s approach or your ā€œTypicalā€ router guys, is welcomed (and a win-win for other end user :roll_eyes:). You can sit or stand by your statements all you want, just know Iā€™m more interested in firmware getting better.

I wouldā€™ve preferred Dynamic Port Triggering implementation (which is again typically available in most modern routers :roll_eyes:)

Sounds like you would be better off with a Synology router then?

Maybe Iā€™m being dense here, but I donā€™t understand the problem with forwarding ports, even if there are a lot of them. There are always tradeoffs between security and convenience, and the words ā€œdynamicā€ used alongside ā€œfirewallā€ would give any cyber security person pause.

There are a lot of features Iā€™d like to see implemented, but I donā€™t use words like ā€œdisgustedā€ because I bought a product that doesnā€™t implement something like I think it should. If you really need that functionality, it seems like you know where you can get it.

Synology router? Yep,ā€¦ :thinking: having my eye on it for quite some time. I did wait till 4.2 version,ā€¦

Port Triggering is dynamic in nature :thinking: it sure didnā€™t give Synology guys pause.

Maybe in your arrival things are better so youā€™re not disgusted but in my arrival I was disgusted by many annoying bugs etc in version 3.xx, and whenever someone pointed me to LuCi,ā€¦ It eventually felt like go to hell (as I mostly ended up factory resets :sweat_smile:)

Yes I know where to get it,ā€¦ ā€œHereā€ is preferred first because I already have the Ax1800 (and someone did say it was in to-do list).

Even if I opt of Synology, it will be when Iā€™m sure no solution is coming out of here,ā€¦

:grin: my use of words are my way of getting attention and Iā€™m not going to stop typing for your likings

Iā€™ve been here since 2015 with the 6416, but whatever.

There are plenty of things routers like this donā€™t do well, which is why I donā€™t use one for my main router. If the software doesnā€™t meet your needs, itā€™s not hard to find one that does. Never buy a product based on a promised future update.

I mean, Iā€™m a voting member on three IEEE cyber security committees, but Iā€™m sure you know better.

1 Like

here since 2015? That explains a lot, including your frustration? Gl-net is obviously not your main router,ā€¦ IEEE? What are you doing in this thread your highness?

Youā€™re mistaken or have no idea to why I bought Ax1800 and youā€™re connecting my feature request, future update to my past decision of purchase? Thatā€™s hilarious :sweat_smile:

Oh I complain here a lot, but I donā€™t actually expect things to change, and I find ways to make the hardware work for my needs in spite of the bugs (mostly by going to stock OpenWrt, which you obviously donā€™t want to do).

At the same time, I donā€™t have a lot of patience for people who continually complain as though they are personally aggrieved because they bought a product and it doesnā€™t work for them. If itā€™s a big enough deal for you to log on and express your disgust, just buy the product that meets your needs.

1 Like

You being an IEEE voting guy seem to have lots of time reading complains :sweat_smile: Do you actually think your prolonged suggestions will make me buy something else? Or make me (or anyone else) stop typing? Or complaining?

Iā€™m an end-user, not as big as you ā€œyour impatient highnessā€ and Iā€™m here because these Gl-net people have been nice enough to implement many features that Iā€™ve requested (Along with others). You may not like it but thatā€™s your problem :sweat_smile:

Ad hominem arguments are the best arguments, arenā€™t they?

Hope you have a nice evening.

1 Like

The configuration file vpnpolicy is okay.
How do you confirm ā€œthe traffic to these domains stops going through the VPNā€? Do you use guest wifi and VPN cascading?

Please use SCP protocol for file transfer.

FYI, thanks for helping debug.

3 Likes

Has it been resolved in 4.2.0beta1 publishing today?

Hmm I just went from flint 4.1 pre release 6 to 4.2.0 without reseting configuration but my vpn broke which was mullvad vpn, it still says connected but when I checked my device it was not using the vpn.

So I made a backup, and then reset it and manually added for each the config from the backup and I pressed update servers for the vpn client that gave me different mullvad names so it might be this, or something broke in the vpn policies thats the only config I did not migrate manually from the backup.

Now it works fine, all configs I put back:
Network, firewall, dhcp, stubby, wireguard

Not sure if something iptables/nfttables changed between versions?

Only other bug ive been noting but its hard to verify:

Sometimes I notice a slow down with loading sites but this can also be because internet is chaotic around Christmas holidays it seem to happen when I have my mullvad vpn active.

updated axt1800 to 4.2 beta1, is this parental control, zero tier and tailscale going to be in the glinet app ?