Firmware V2.21, 2.22 Road warriors, WISP repeater auto connect

Hello Everybody,

Update 2016/10/17: Firmware version v2.23-4 for AR series and v2.23-3 for MT series is in testing now.

Update 2016/09/14: we released the firmware as v2.22 and you can upgrade from your firmware.

We are happy to release a testing firmware v2.21 for all mini routers, which contains road warrior functions for WISP repeater.

Firmware download: http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware/

The new features include:

1. Every time you setup repeater it will be saved automatically to the list.
  2. The router will automatically detect available SSIDs and try to connect to one. If none can be connected it will just disable repeater so that your AP is not affect.
  3. When this function is disabled, it will not search for an available SSID but still will disable your repeater if the connection cannot be built.
  4. Manage a list of saved stations from the UI.
  5. This only works in WISP, not WDS. Please disable this feature if you are using WDS relay.
  6. Other UI related buy fix, disable ddns (wan acess) from UI.
  7. Openvpn PIA ovpn config pre-processing, get rid of not supported configs.
Please report if it works for your usage.

Seems like a great update, can’t wait to try it :slight_smile:

I was wondering if something else may be possible - When connecting to a repeater, the right LED goes off and the SSID stops broadcasting for a few seconds which sometimes mean that my devices switch to another network. Would it be possible for the SSID to continue broadcasting whilst it connects?

If you are using Windows, you can open the connection properties dialog box and set the “Connect automatically when this network is in range” to ON, the “connect to a more preferred network if available” to OFF.

For the other network that you are connecting to automatically, you may also need to configure this SSID’s connection properties for “Connect automatically when this network is in range” to OFF.

You will still have the wireless reset bounce, but you should be able to connect back with no user intervention.

The above is influenced by Windows proposing the “Connect automatically” checkbox when you add a new connection. Not checking this will still save the connection data, but for our case can be problematic if you set it for all connections.

@wifird, while it is trying to connect to an available, the ap will be affected. So we cannot avoid the several seconds of AP disappearing problem.

@RangerZ, this requires improvement in the UI. We are planing a major update of the UI and it will come later.

Hi Guys

i am unable to update packages with opkg. there is a issue with the signature verification

root@GL-AR300M:/etc/opkg# opkg update

Downloading 404 Page not found - GL.iNet.

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_base.

Signature check failed.

Remove wrong Signature file.

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_luci.

Signature check failed.

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_management.

Signature check failed.

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_packages.

Signature check failed.

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_routing.

Signature check failed.

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_telephony.

Signature check failed.

i have tried setting option check_signature 0 in opkg.cfg and it does not help.

Any ideas?

Ok, I’ve searched around and can’t seem to find the answer… There are two version of the firmware (nand and nor). Through the webui I’ve flashed the openwrt-gl-ar300m-2.1-test.bin file but how do I flash the other (openwrt-gl-ar300m-2.1-nand-test.tar)? I’ve extracted the files but they are control, kernel and root files.

Flashing the .bin from webui has worked well and so far I’ve had no problems but how do I use the second file?

Thanks!

@davidkierz, the repo hasn’t been compiled and upload. I will upload this week.

@LostDog, please check if you are using Nand or Nor firmware. Seems you are using Nor version. You can check this by clicking the “Repo” icon and see what space you have. If you have more than 100M, then you are using nand version. If you only have 16M, then you are using Nor version. The router will always try to boot Nand version. If only it fails 3 times it will boot the Nor version.

If you use nand version, please flash the tar file directly. Don’t unzip it. Just upload like a bin file.

@alzhao,

It appears I’m booting in to the Nor version (16M total). Perhaps something went wrong when flashing the 2.21-test firmware and now I’m stuck booting to Nor.

How can I re-flash the Nand version when I’m in Nor?

In addition, when a few firmware is updated on the AR300M router do we need to flash both versions to upgrade Nor and Nand?

I’m still learning the details of this router but overall I’m very happy. In WISP mode I can easily max out my 50Mbs connection at home. With OpenVPN and WISP I get between 6 Mbs and 10 Mbs. For such a tiny device I think that is pretty good!

Thank you!

If you are booting into Nor flash, it generally means either your Nand flash has problems or the nand firmware is broken. You can try to reboot again to see if you can boot into nand flash. If you always boot into nor flash, you can reflash the nand version using uboot web UI.

You only need to upgrade the firmware you are using, Nor or Nand, not booth.

@alzhao,
I’ve finally was able to flash the Nand firmware by reverting in Uboot to 2.20 then flashing openwrt-gl-ar300m-nand-2.21-1.tar. Everything is working well so far. This being said, what are the differences (and how do you use) the three different firmware listed?

openwrt-gl-ar300m-nand-2.21-1.tar

openwrt-gl-ar300m-ubi-2.21-1.img

openwrt-gl-ar300m-2.21-1.bin

While in Nand both the .img and .bin files give an error about it being for the wrong hardware.

openwrt-gl-ar300m-2.21-1.bin is for nor flash

openwrt-gl-ar300m-ubi-2.21-1.img is for flashing using uboot console

openwrt-gl-ar300m-nand-2.21-1.tar is for nand firmware web upgrading.

If you are using uboot, seems you need to use the img file…

@alzhao,

Thank you!!! I’ve not seen that documented anywhere and now I understand.

What are the procedures for flashing nor? If I’m booting in to nand is there a way to boot to nor and flash the nor firmware from there? Can you flash nor from somewhere else?

Sorry for all the questions! I’m just trying to learn this new hardware. I’ve not had a router with nand and nor to play with.

As for feedback on firmware 2.21 so far it’s been great. I’ve used it in WISP mode from several different locations and it’s performed well without issues.

Have installed this on my newly received MT300A.

One question - how do I tell the router to forget a wifi network SSID?

Hello,

I have just tried the new v2.21 software on my MT300A router. unfortunately it didn’t work very well. The major issues were

The radio slider toggle randomly switched on and off such that connecting wirelessly to the router was impossible and the intermal micro-sdcard and ah external USB memory stick were not found or displayed.

I tried reboot and factory resets but unfortunately I had to re-flash the v20 firmware so I could continue to connect to my Open VPN server… I’d really like to see this firmware working on the 300A as the v20 firmware with the reset for new WiFi access points for WISP usage doesn’t work reliable.

Looking forwards to a new release to test on the 300A.

Thanks for supporting your innovative products !

@Peter_B, please wait one or two day for my update of the firmware, with saved SSID management.

@Pseudonoise, seems the router is trying to connect as repeaters but could not connect. Now we fixed some bugs and hope to make the firmware available for test in one or two days.

In firmware 2.20, there seems to be a typo, while tethering, under settings the text says teathering.

Teathering is fixed in 2.21

Any updates on when the final 2.21 will drop? :slight_smile:

WISP-menu in 2.22 looks very promising.
Not all packages in firmware 2.22 are installabe:

root@GL-AR150:~# opkg install mc

Installing mc (4.8.14-1.3) to root…

Installing glib2 (2.43.4-1) to root…

Collected errors:

• opkg_install_pkg: Failed to verify the signature of /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_packages.

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package mc.

root@GL-AR150:~#

@Freek, I just did the same but I had no problem installing mc in my AR300M

can you do a reboot and opkg update again