Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

Why is my Flint 2 set to Germany by dafault when I had bought it from Amazon UK in the UK?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Flint 2 - 4.5.7 - IPv6 issues

Maybe some late invasion from the Krauts, I don’t know.

fw 4.5.7 with wan/lan only 1gbe ???

3 Likes

Don’t do it, just don’t, it can always lead to bug’s especially now that the firmware is based on OpenWrt 21 and not 23

2 Likes

Agree with you @Anaron the hardware is great. The firmware really sucks though. And right now there is no light at the end of the tunnel. 21.02 base is horrible with the proprietary MediaTek drivers. 23.05 base actually functions much better with limitations on the opensource WIFI drivers. MediaTek needs a good kick in the pants.

8 Likes

I did it and its working fine, when I was factory resetting and setting up from scratch I was having all sorts of problem, so this time I kept settings and everything is great…so far…touch wood.

Before upgrading:
Backup all your packages using the opkg script.
Backup all your config through the luci gui

Perform the upgrade.

Restore all your packages with opgk previosuly backuped. Please note that some packages will refuse to install due to different package name in OpenWRT version (21<->23). Check and see if there are packages compatible with OpenWRT version 21 (if you see my previous post, something is already there)
Restore the config (previously backuped) through Luci gui.

1 Like

:frowning: Noticed this only now…
Yes the wan port is now only 1GB as per speedtest confirmation.

Sorry for asking, but how this firmware can be considered stable? (question for GL staff)

2 Likes

The problem with low speed may be that hardware acceleration is not enabled correctly. Execute ‘dmesg | grep hook’ to check the output, or manually set the web page to hardware acceleration for comparison testing.

Did you find any difference? :thinking:
The hardware acceleration didn’t change absolutly nothing on my side.
With it on or off, the 2.4GHz (20MHz) is still limiting at 100 Mbps

They developed the hardware but they forgot the software/firmware.
GL-iNet will need to start from the beginning instead of trying to find workarounds.

They should put an warning on their website saying this is an experimental product that will be ready not before the Q3

4 Likes

Thanks for that. I won’t be updating to 4.5.7 but it’s good to know for future updates.

I hope that these issues will get resolved soon.

2 Likes

[   28.391606] hook is going to be enabled !
[   52.298529] mtk_ppe_dev_register_hook : ineterface apcli0 register (3)
[   52.505037] mtk_ppe_dev_register_hook : ineterface apclix0 register (4)

Then disabled it:

[   52.298529] mtk_ppe_dev_register_hook : ineterface apcli0 register (3)
[   52.505037] mtk_ppe_dev_register_hook : ineterface apclix0 register (4)
[87384.933486] hook is going to be disabled !

But the 2.4Ghz WiFi speed is still poor (a little bit better then before)

Screenshot from 2024-03-21 15-13-32

2.4GHz (20 MHz): 100 Mbps
2.4GHz (40 MHz): 150 Mbps

I’m using 20/40 in the config.

Hey guys,
is someone having issues with 160MHz 5GHz speed?
With firmware version lower than 4.5.5, I was able to reach 1500 Mbps over the Wi-Fi, now with the new 4.5.7 “stable” there is no way to go over 1000-1050 Mbps.

Also, with the new stable we completely lost the possibility to adjust Wi-Fi power.

I own a fritzbox 5590 . in the same room I’ve the fritz and the Flint 2 .

this is the 2.4 ghz band Speedtest with Fritz :
Screenshot 2024-03-21 alle 20.58.14

Using a speed test is good for testing the internet speed, but not good for testing the Wi-Fi speed.
Wi-Fi speed highly depends on the used frequency, signal strength, Wi-Fi standard and receiving device.

Without having any of this information, it’s impossible to troubleshoot.

1 Like

This one seems to be a 20MHz speedtest, on Fritzbox you should disable coesistency to make it 40MHz.

Anyway guys, imho someone is forgetting about 2.4GHz is used by a large amount of devices…I make 150Mbps over a 40MHz 2.4GHz network and it’s ok for anything.
For higher speed, just use 5GHz network, which is very common at these days on every phone/tablet or so.

Just to be clear, I can make also 150Mbps from my Fritzbox 7590, so…it’s ok.

1 Like

I’d like to say that Flint 2 wifi performance in 2.4 ghz band is good . We have an high density environment in all of our houses