Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

You’re not supposed to know your way around SSH and vi but you sure know how to use Explorer and Notepad.
Use WinSCP to connect to your router (SCP, credentials: root | your-admin-password), then open said directory, select the file and press F4. Et voila, it opens in ‘Notepad’, you search for config policy 'mac' and add your MACs. [CTRL]-[S], [ESC] and you’re done.
To finish click link from pic and press [Apply].

HTH!

2 Likes

Firmware 4.5.7 does not work with MU-MIMO
I have a fritz!repeater 1200 which is compatible with it, and if the router uses it it shows it in the information, while if connected with the MT6000 it doesn’t.

Furthermore, I only realized a little while ago that the 4.5.7 firmware has been withdrawn, I purchased this router a few days ago and it arrived today, with the 4.5.6 firmware I had slow wifi problems, with this there are other problems… .
If GL.inet developed a 4.5.8 again based on OpenWRT 23.05 like 4.5.6 but with the latest OpenWRT commit of the m76 wifi drivers where they fixed many problems it would be excellent.

3 Likes

The only one thing which is improvement for me over opensource drivers is the stable airplay performance of apple tv and homepods in same wifi network, not sure if someone use here atv with homepods and both connected to wifi, but you can find a lot of posts in google with that issue, with many top brands with same problem, but its resolved in mtk drivers.
I dislike outdated openwrt, but this mtk fix made my day and this is the only reason to use 4.5.7 in my user case.

1 Like

The opensource drivers will of course continue to improve with help from GL, hopefully MediaTek, and the opensource community including other routers using the same chipset. OpenWRT is now on a stable release for the GL-MT6000 so hopefully GL will also release an updated build this week on the 4.5.6 line based on the opensource drivers.

1 Like

They actually did a good decision by branching 2 releases, one with old Openwrt but with proprietary and one with newer Openwrt open source drivers. Looking forward for both of it.

2 Likes

They made an announcement about maintaining two branches: one based on OpenWRT 21.02 and another on 23.05. 4.5.x releases will be based on the older version of OpenWRT. 4.23.x releases will use 23.05.

I’ll give 4.5.8 a try once it’s released but only if it supports MU-MIMO. Can you test that version with your FRITZ!Repeater? For now, I’m back on 4.5.4.

1 Like

I tried the repeater with the 4.5.6 and 4.5.7 firmware, and with both the repeater does not report the presence of MU-MIMO on the MT6000, while with other routers it works, now I don’t know if MU-MIMO is actually working but the router doesn’t report its presence or anything else, I’m not very expert in this.

As far as I remember OpenWrt 21.x does not support MU-MIMO mostly.
They had big issues with it.

They made a very good decision indeed.

I hope that theyll use Openwrt snapshots branch rather than the stable release branch since the most commits with fixes are only present with the snapshots.

1 Like

So you want to make the bloody GL firmware even more bloody by using a snapshot firmware as base? That sounds some kind of insane. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m using the stable and it is very good indeed, better than the snapshot that I tried (that was released a day later) with which the wifi was not stable. With 23.05.3 5G wifi doubled the speed of the snapshot for me of course.

1 Like

I’m running the Open-WRT snaphots now…Completely stable on the MT-6000…But don’t expect the 2.4Ghz to be improved. That’s an issue that may never be solved no matter what driver you’re using…At least the MTK driver has improved it for people relying on WiFi.

1 Like

Can you give more details?
What is wrong with it?

Relax…I said “may”…But the fact that they’ve been working on improving the wifi for four months now and had to go back to the original MTK driver to just improve it a little says (to me) it’s not an easy thing to remedy…And whether you are using the open-source or the MTK driver it has problems. But who knows maybe they’ll find someway to really fix it…I’d say for people who really need to use WiFi the “fix” at least for now is to hookup an old reliable wifi router in Access Point mode to the Flint2 and use the wifi from that instead.

1 Like

Openwrt snapshot doesn’t directly translate to unstable release and mostly even better than release branch. But yup, if what GL finds better then Ill go with it

Does that snapshot have argon theme by default?

No…You add it…The current Argon on github won’t install but you can get the modded files here…
https://fantastic-packages.github.io/packages/releases/22.03/packages/x86_64/luci/
luci-app-argon-config_1.0_all.ipk and luci-theme-argon_2.3.1_all.ipk.

ok, beta FW 4.5.8 is out.

1 Like

It seems it’s 4.5.7 rebranded, :thinking:

I do a clean setup from scratch update this weekend, but a dirty update so far (same) good :call_me_hand: