Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

Can you double confirm which firmware you are using? I think we fixed everything today.

You need to upgrade this firmware first, the firmware kernel version has been updated
https://fw.gl-inet.com/firmware/mt6000-open/testing/openwrt-mt6000-4.6.0-op24-0531-1717133438.bin

Well it says that I’m on beta 5 running OpenWRT 24.0 r26467+32-50e26e6fd7

(Compile time is 2024-05-31 04:35:44)

1 Like

Also, I’m using the default opkg feeds
So it’s clearly still a serverside issue of you guys having those packages built for the older 5.4 kernel

2 Likes

ok so I just checked your Packages file and it seems to have the correct version of btrfs
But I can’t seem to get OpenWRT to display it
Running opkg update doesn’t update it for some reason

This just got weirder

2 Likes

I installed this firmware today and it still shows the error of not having dependencies related to kernel 5.4.211. could you verify?

3 Likes

Repositories are messed up. I installed 21 snapshot but apps point to 24 repository.
I end up installing the new 24 which is working extremely well minus WiFi power.

When you have "VPN Policy Based on the Target Domain or IP" enabled for a few domains what DNS resolver is supposed to be used for other queries?

DNS mode is on automatic

Edit: actually say I have DNS mode on cloud flare. If I do a DNS leak test at dnsleaktest.com the results do come back with cloudflare but with the country where I'm connected to in the wireguard client.

I reinstalled it again from scratch and now I was able to install sqm and other plugins.
The package problem has been fixed!

@pan.li

1 Like

You didn’t need to reinstall it
It was a server side issue and they fixed it not too long ago

I was finally able to install Docker (didn’t wipe the router, just pulled the latest packages and installed Docker)

2 Likes

everything is working, but I'm using encrypt dns tls through nextdns and it shows this error here.
Oh, how do you use it?

I’m getting a different issue now though

Tried to run an OpenSpeedTest container and it just failed with

failed to register layer: lsetxattr security.capability /usr/sbin/crond: operation not supported

This wasn’t happening with the OpenWRT 23 based version I had on this router before GL.iNet switched it to 21.02

Apparently CONFIG_KERNEL_EXT4_FS_SECURITY needs to be set for it to work properly

@gaby What happens when you connect the Flint behind the Google Nest router?

I still don't understand why the speed is so slow. The Flint 2 should easily do 1Gbit Down/UP NAT, even without any acceleration activated.

The MTU should also be 1500 according to your ISP?

Did you also try other speedtest websites, for example

fast.com

openspeedtest.com

speed.cloudflare.com

I noticed that speedtest with chromium based browsers are more accurate, so I would give Edge, Chrome, Chromium, Brave, etc a try.

I have no problems getting 900Mbit/220Mbit via Wireguard VPN over Ethernet and around 800Mbit/220Mbit via WiFi, but I'm not directly connected to the internet, just via a fiber router.

could it be that you use PPPoE ?

@xize11 I don't have any PPoE devices, this happens even connected directly to the Flint via LAN.

@bonefire The MTU is 1500, I don't see any fragmentation according to ping. I'm resetting the router with the latest stable and running one last test.

There's at least 4-5 people on this same thread with low upload speeds too, so it's not me. The only thing I'm changing is the Nest Router for the Flint 2, nothing else.

Did that Nest router have a 2.5Gbps WAN port?
It could be that the modem you're plugging the Flint 2 into doesn't really like 2.5Gbps devices (even if it only support 1Gbps)

The Nest Router is 1Gbps, it's 4-5 years old. Is there a way in the Flint to force the port speed to 1Gbps instead of 2.5Gbps? Or could I use a different 1Gbps port as WAN?

Using v4.6.0, did a full reset of the device. Rebooted device twice, connected my device via LAN and made 0 changes to default configuration. Using Chrome v125.x

Similar results via WIFI with my phone. With Cloudflare/OpenSpeedtest results are ~900Mbps down/~50Mbps up

Edit: I have decided to return the Flint and stick with my Gogle Nest Wifi Router. Even though it's from 2019 I get 900Mbps down/800Mbps upload. Thanks all for the help.

3 Likes

I did some iperf testing. Looks good.

Reverse mode. Iperf server running through 2.5gbps lan. Wifi is through the flint 2 on 5ghz, 160mhz wide and channel 60.

Edit: can't post anymore I'm afraid due to limits

I know that you already plan to return but for the others with the same problem:

Installing ethtool and:

ethtool -s eth1 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on

Should enforce 1Gbit on the WAN port.

I know its also possible to designate another LAN port as a WAN port, also in terms of the failover settings.