Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

I had access to opensource version 4.6.0 based on 6.6.30, in some tests here I found it to be very stable, wifi 2.4 and 5ghz are much better than in version 4.5.6. do tests and see if it's good

2 Likes

It's not EOL.

Anyway, this needs to get back on topic. There are beta testers here who need to continue reporting their issues so that GL iNet staff can keep tweaking their OpenWRT version that was EOL in May 2023.

It's not had a software update for a year and you still defend it, lol.

I was originally gonna do the counter to the inevitable merlin firmware but I thought it would be too snarky but since you're being snarky here it goes.

Mention Asus product is basically EOL.

Pushes glasses up "Umm ackshually Merlin firmware exists"

Yes have your whole router security depended on one human being you don't even know and if he dies gg the router is a paperweight. Is that how you run your life?

Openwrt 21.02 or 23.05 ?

Are you merely stupid or just pretending to be one. Stock firmware was literally updated yesterday:

Grow up and stop trolling and spouting utter BS.

1 Like

Are you still hoping for this FW stock? it's clear they're scrambling now... the stock gui was attractive, a real shame... luckily I found a programmer on openwrt who made a really stable build and also managed to install and run the mtk driver on the 6.6 kernel.

Glinet should read more often the emails of programmers who would like to collaborate for the optimal success of a product.

If any glinet bosses ever read:

• check your email
  • Is it possible for a single person to be able to do more work than a team?
  • you probably need dedication and passion to give great support to your customers
    IMG_0702
5 Likes

Not 21 or 23. It's Openwrt 24.

I don't understand, is this an official beta (or alpha) version of GL-iNet? Or where does it come from?
Is it safe as firmware?
Is it also for MT3000 (Beryl AX) as it is written in the releases?

for both, Firstly, there is no way to create firmware with the gl.inet UI. There is no repository for that, it used to be, but not anymore. for both the mt3000 and the mt6000 it was one of the devs who released it, in another topic one of the devs released it for the mt3000, I simply sent him a PM and requested the firmware to test on my mt6000, if it wasn't out for snapshot, beta and rc, logically it is an alpha version or even worse, I tested it at my own risk to see how the opensource version is progressing.

3 Likes

update: When I installed it I was having latency and high ping problems with no plausible explanation, without even using the network at my home, after returning to 4.5.8 everything worked again, it still needs better polishing.

3 Likes

@ctrlaltcanc please provide a link so the rest of us can kick the tyres on this build!

I don't see how ASUS is better in this manner. They are using an even more outdated kernel (Broadcom SDK) than GL iNet on the mtk proprietary driver.

The firmware, including Merlin, of this ASUS router is based on Broadcom's kernel 4.19.x SDK. According to Merlin himself Broadcom even chose this for their Wifi 7 platforms too, and this kernel 4.19 will reach EOL in December 2024, a full year before the kernel 5.4 EOL that Mediatek is using.

Merlin can update outdated packages, which is great, but GL iNet can as well.

1 Like

I have a strange problem...
As a Router I have the Flint 2 updated to the stable version 4.5.8, but I have also tried the beta 4.6.0 and then reverted to 4.5.8 (updates always done keeping the settings)
After a few hours that it is switched on the connection speed drops dramatically and more and more from more than 1Gbps to a few Mb (now 4-5Mbps).
This is for both ETH and WiFi connections.
If I reboot the router it returns to working properly and then, after a few hours, drops again.
I initially blamed 4.6.0, the CPU load, but this problem persists even when the CPU load is close to 0 and even once I revert to 4.5.8.
Any suggestions?

Reset without keeping the settings is the first step because -depending on which beta you tried- you changed the OS version as well.

1 Like

So,the advice is to update the firmware by resetting the settings?
At this point I'm going to try the snapshot because I'll wait for a stable, but really stable, one to reconfigure everything well...

Like @admon said reset the router.

Often what i used to do in such case is create a backup through luci, then open it with 7zip and manual take the /etc/config contents for each over winscp.

Like the backup mechanism, often the complete /etc/ and a few other folders get preserved, so if you update with keep settings this can also count for scripts, this can indeed cause this unwanted effect of tracked/untracked scripts.

I also notice this. Troubleshooting with my ISP i found no problem with my line to find out later, accidentally, that problem was the LAN port which connects Flint2 with modem.
The problem was that port for no obvious reason was set by router to 10Mpbs instead of 1000.
Revert to 4.5.8, reset router and didn't notice this behavior again.
So there is (was?) something with snapshot.

1 Like

http://download.gl-inet.com.s3.amazonaws.com/firmware/mt6000-open/testing/openwrt-mt6000-4.6.0-op24-0524-1716542939.bin

Official beta version directly from the gl repository.

4.6.0 open-source

3 Likes

I'm testing it, I'm very satisfied, thank you GL.iNet Staff!

http://download.gl-inet.com openwrt-mt6000-4.6.0-op24-0524-1716542939.bin

2 Likes

Which wireless drivers does it use?