Flint GL-AX1800 Dual WAN for Link aggregation Arris 8200

I wanted to use link aggregation on a Arris 8200sb that has 2 gigabit ports with Flint that has 1 WAN gigabit port, to achieve my max internet speed of 1200mbps. Should be a simple procedure. I followed the VLAN guide and Switch guide in post:

The 2nd WAN configured port never gets a IP address or connects to the internet. I want to test the 2nd WAN is working before setting up the modem. (by the way I am using the Arris S33 right now which does not have link aggregation but does have a 2.5gigabit port and 1gigabit port. Its funny that the advertise the S33 as 3.5Gbps but it is not possible with no link aggregation)

I have access to multiple routers 2 of which have 2.5Gbps Wan port (Gl-MT2500 and GL-MT3000) but would like to get the Flint using this.

Flint is running 4.4.5 stable release 1 from 8-11-2023(has been reliable but suffers RAM memory issues and needs to restart every 10 days), adguard, Surfshark VPN.

Like it has been suggested before a easy set up like the WAN to LAN switch would be greatly appreciated and should be a core feature with the increase of ISP speeds.

So I got the LAN port to switch to WAN port and received the ip address of the modem and Tx and Rx but VPN did not connect and so no internet(connection was only showed in LuCi interfaces and GL.iNet UI did no show any info thought it was disconnected) was using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgMnPE3CYo4

Load balancing doesn’t work like you think it does. It doesn’t use both WAN at the same time but is more of a “scheduled fail over”, with the router handing the connection to whichever device is next in turn between the different WAN connections. At no point does it or can it use both WAN at the same time because it uses different IP addresses for each connection. So the server must reply only to the IP that it got the request from.

It’s a limitation of the communication technology itself, not the devices using it.

Load balancing will send the connection to the one with quickest response, so if one is downloading at 50% capacity and the other is 30% capacity then 30% wins. Or you can set it to “for every x times you connect via WAN 1 it will try WAN2 on the xth time”. So if you set it to 5:1 every 5th WAN connection will go to WAN2 giving you an 80/20 ratio on “balanced load”. A ratio of 0/0 is quickest response time takes the connection.

This is not load balancing more bonding the gigabit connections together for maximum throughput.

I just need two WAN ports to try

Thank you anyway

1 Like