Flint WiFi issues

I received Flint yesterday and I started using it, upgrade to latest firmware v3.206-0929, configure DDNS/NextDNS/Wi-Fi … etc.

Just when I feel happy that I can enjoy using the new router, the Wi-Fi issues starts popping up.

Symptom:

1. you connect Wi-Fi to Flint, it connects smoothly
  2. start surfing Internet for a while then I found out that the web pages just stuck there and doesn’t load anymore, contents stop loading, unless you disconnect the Wi-Fi then reconnect again.
  3. After disconnecting and reconnecting the situations repeat again to Symptom no.2
  4. Unacceptable infinite loop of terrible Wi-Fi experience.

Trying Troubleshooting:

1. DNS resolution is ok (dig, traceroute is working)
  2. PING is ok (can reach out to Internet host/IP)
  3. Wi-Fi setting is ok (WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode)

Results:

I still don’t know what happened to the Wi-Fi issue so far…

Hope it’s just software issues not the hardware ones :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, can you do this: go the UI and change 2.4G and 5G wifi SSID to different.

Seems it is a problem of roaming between 2.4G and 5G wifi. Will fix asap.

actually they are different from the first place :slight_smile:

Is it 2.4G or 5G then?

I tried both band SSIDs and they have issues from time to time.

What is your phone model please?

I have tried the following devices connect to Flint Wi-Fi:

iPhone 11, Pixel 4 XL, HTC U11, TP-Link(T3U) USB AC dongle on PC, Google Next Mini, Google Chromecast 3rd gen…

it just happens again now :frowning:

I am asking engineers to help.

1 Like

Thanks and hope it will soon be solved.

Hi cafebug:

start surfing Internet for a while then I found out that the web pages just stuck there and doesn’t load anymore, contents stop loading, unless you disconnect the Wi-Fi then reconnect again.
—>When this happens,is the ping ok between iphone and Router?

1 Like

I think so, since I can ping to outside host.
The issue is data(contents) stuck there and you can’t do anything to get it loaded unless reconnect the Wi-Fi.

(ex: I search Google for something then after typing the keyword and press enter, boom…nothing happened… or load a little contents …or just blank screen…)

Hi cafebug:

Please update the firmware ‘qsdk-ax1800-3.206-1008.img’ and test if that happens again.

http://download.gl-inet.com/firmware/ax1800/testing/

Just upgrade it and it still stay the same.

1. This time I don’t keep my previous settings and do a reset installation.
  2. configure PPPoE, Wi-Fi SSIDs, Install Luci, set NTP sync, enable IPv6, manually DNS setting(fiddle around CloudFlare, NextDNS, ISP DNS, DNSCryptProxy to Cisco)
  3. surfing website on my laptop with Wi-Fi 5G connect to Flint
  4. Web page loading stuck, or even not loading at all
    5 when #4 happens I can still PING to Flint and outside host, DIG utility DNS resolution checking(both are working fine)
  5. Wonder if something like MTU goes wrong, just check my laptop MTU and it’s normally configured.

Please help and I don’t know what else can be go wrong like this.
Maybe other Flint users can shed some light on this.

@cafebug hi can you try use some VPN provider? Try use tor browser or tor. May be this is IPS blocking some resources? This problem on all the sites? This problem only if you use wifi? Try test sites use lan cable. Try to copy big data from wifi (then from lan cable) to some share folder in your local network and look at the progress and errors.

1 Like

Hi cafebug:

Please help to disable IPv6 and test.

4.Web page loading stuck, or even not loading at all
5 when #4 happens I can still PING to Flint and outside host, DIG utility DNS resolution checking(both are working fine)
—> Is the Web page always in this state?

Disable IPv6 seems to be a instant cure to my situation, let me keep monitoring it for a while and report back, thanks !

(previous situation the web page loading stuck is in a randomly fashion, new open webpage will suffer for the most of time.)

1 Like

Good to know, thank you for sharing your experiences.

1 Like

By the way I just turn on AGH on Flint to test around and find out that it’s a memory hog, eat almost all the memory, only 2% left on system :upside_down_face:

How big are your block and allow lists? That can happen with excessively large lists.

When I use AGH I stick to oisd.nl, but I find it even better to use an ad/malware blocking DNS over TLS service like ControlD, NextDNS, etc…