GL-AR750S (slate), using as repeater/range extender with VPN

Hello,

I’m thinking of buying the GL.iNet GL-AR750S (slate) and I have some questions.

Can it connect wirelessly to an existing wifi network as a repeater / range extender, so that it broadcasts it’s own unique SSID (different to the SSID that it is ‘repeating’), and so that anything connected to it will go through a VPN?

In other words, this is what I want to do:

My existing wifi network has the SSID ‘network1’. I want to connect the GL-AR750S to network1 via wifi, and I want it to create a new SSID e.g. ‘network2’. Anything connected to network1 (via wifi) will not go through any VPN. Anything connected to network2 (via wifi) will go through a VPN. So any of my devices (e.g. ipad, roku, xbox) can switch easily from VPN to non-VPN by simply connecting to a different SSID.

Is that possible?

Thanks

Yes. The slate has dual radios, one for 2.4ghz and one 5 ghz. You can connect the 2.4ghz to your existing router, and have a new ssid on 5ghz, and set up VPN on the slate normally using the GL UI.

Then you can do as you wanted, just connect to the new ssid and have VPN, or your existing router ssid for no VPN.

If you wanted you could also just use the slate with the new vpn routing policy feature in the latest firmware, to filter by mac address, which devices use vpn and which don’t and have them all connected to the same router. Up to you :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your valuable knowledge.

That vpn routing policy feature sounds awesome! I’m now convinced that I need to buy one!

Thanks again!

Can I also do the same thing with the GL-AR750 (Creta)?

And does the GL-AR750 (Creta) also include the new vpn routing policy feature?

Thanks

I would recommend you get the Slate, it has gigabit ports as well as a faster processor, since you seem to have a lot of devices, and if you game you want lower latency too :slight_smile:

Here is the routing guide for when you have it in hand:

Great, thanks.

I will go for the Slate !

Sounds good. Feel free to make a new thread if you have any issues :slight_smile:

Awesome information and exactly what I’m looking for too! I just saw an ad on this website, can the new Opal (GL-SFT1200) support all the features you’d mentioned in this thread? If so, I might wait for that model to come out as I plan to travel in early 2022.

Thanks!

Yeah all GL routers have the same features, apart from mesh, that is only available on some of the routers.