GL-iNet AR750S: FIrmware Verification Fail - Failed! Error: Incorrect firmware format!

Hello guys,

I have a GL-iNet AR750S Slate. I didn’t use it for a period but now it came its time.
First thing was to try and update its firmware. Last firmware is 3.104, compiled time: 2020-04-27.
Well… at “Online upgrade” section there is a line where the available pdate is 3.201. I hit Download and after a few seconds I get “Verification Result: Fail”.
I said “let’s try Local Upgrade”… downloaded the firmware from GL.iNet download center and after I upload the file I get “Failed! ERROR: Incorrect firmware format!”

1 Like

Download 3.105 and 3.201 to somewhere on your PC.
Local Update to 3.105 first, Then Local Update to 3.201

• if you want Luci click on the More Settings cog then the Advanced selection in the drop down menu. You will be asked if you want to install Luci, select Install and it will be done.
    *** Note - previously if you went to the Advanced selection it would start Luci in another window, not now so Right Click on the Luci link and then Open in a New Tab - that way you have both the Standard and Advanced open at the same time each in their own window.
3 Likes

Already tried that. I forgot to mention it. I get the same message on both files. files uploaded were “.img”

.img is for UBoot flashing.

Ok, if I did it wrong could anyone tell me how should I do it correctly?
Though, I still have a doubt what happened when I tried to upgrade it using “Online Upgrade” section. Using that section wasn’t suppose to grab the correct firmware file?

Based on what I found on docs.gl-inet.com:

• Update through Admin Panel: gl-ar750s-3.201.tar
  • Update through Uboot: gl-ar750s-3.201.img

I tried even 1 .tar file and it didn’t work, that was the 3.201 but didn’t try with 3.105, and I supposed there is another problem.
I don’t know how to do it through Uboot so I tried uploading 3.105.tar which seems to be working. Now Im doing the 3.201.tar…

Successfully done the upgrade with the 3.201.tar … now the problem is that I can’t access the following section: " MORE SETTINGS → Advenced " → Luci ERROR: Not installed yet!

Oh… I had the “install Luci” right under the error message. THe problem is that now clicking “MORE SETTINGS → Advanced” doesn’t redirect to Luci interface. I get a page on the sale layout where I have a link to [local_ip]/cgi-bin.

Did you read what I said in my 1st post about how to get the Luci window to open in it’s own tab - if not then here it is again …
*** Note - previously if you went to the Advanced selection it would start Luci in another window, not now - so Right Click on the Luci link and then from the context menu Open in a New Tab - that way you have both the Standard and Advanced open at the same time each in their own window. Login on the Luci window, do what you want and then Logout from the Luci window and close the tab, then you’ll be back at the Standard window, do what you want there and then Logout from the Standard window and close the tab.

This worked for me. I manually downloaded each of the older firmwares that were newer that my current so 3.105 (AS I was previously on 3.104). I then manually uploaded 3.105 and installed - Then auto install from 3.105 to 3.201 worked.

Well I found this same problem, the problem is that the too old version wont verify the 3.20X version. Easy fix by downloading the .TAR image, the latest 3.1XX available, upload it to the router, after update, then just use the embedded update system, will verify the latest 3.2XX without issues.

Just be more clear, for AR750S, upgrade from old firmware (3.104) which is based on openwrt 1806 to latest firmware 3.201 which is based on openwrt 1907 could cause verification failed.

In 3.105 (openwrt 1806) we made special treatment so that it can be upgraded to openwrt 1907 and later.

So you may upgrade to 3.105 first then upgrade to 3.201.

Or you can use uboot to upgrade to 3.201 directly without keep your settings

I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions here. This got me from 3.104 to 3.201.

• I had to download & apply the .tar files for 3.105 and 3.201, one at a time.
  • I was able to keep settings; no reset required.
  • Luci package was not installed, but as soon as the router got an internet connection, it was able to refresh its package repositories, grab the latest Luci and install it automatically.

I use EasyTether with my Slate, so I had to get the latest OpenWRT -openSSL driver from their website and extract the ipk to manually copy over & install. After a reboot, everything connected fine.

2 Likes