Gl-inet router says 'Wrong Key' on wifi repeater join

Upgrade in progress. But I can start testing not before this evening. Before I have one request, related to this topic:
I’d like to have ‘beta’ or ‘snapshot’ at least in the filename. Better in the ‘Upgrade View’ within the Beryl WebUI.

Of course I have only one GL.iNet device and should know if I am using a beta/snapshot. But I’d think this will change soon. I plan to replace my whole Home setup (4 productive routers, 2 repeater, 2 testing lab routers).

Not sure if this can be solved easily. As a beta may just move to release. Now you have the date in the filename so it is easy to identify firmwares.

First test looks good, immediately connect on 2,4GHz.
Unfortunately I’ve locked out myself from the transfer net :slight_smile: I have to wait for physical access, this evening.

Seems to work fine here as well! :sunglasses:

Hi,

Great to check back in and see so much positive discussion here.

My use case was to install a Beryl router in an outdoor enclosure functioning as a wifi bridge to provide ethernet connectivity to a Doorbird intercom.

After downgrade of FW to 3.203 the solution works fine until there is a power outage. When power is restored, the Intercom does not receive a DHCP lease.

According to Doorbird, the intercom will re-try for a DHCP lease every 2-3 minutes for 15 minutes but it is not happening.

The fix is to wait until Beryl is booted and then power cycle the Doorbird.

If I have a laptop plugged into Beryl and simulate the same power outage, the laptop receives a lease without issue.

Is there a way to pull DHCP traffic logs from the Beryl while in repeater mode?

I will try 3.215 and see if the behaviour is different.

ok, experience with 3.215
I changed mode to Extender. My intercom and laptop received 192.168.1.x address for main router.
Rebooted Beryl and it came back up assigning 192.168.8.x address via DHCP but will still in Extender mode. It even has a message saying that the page will not be available in Extender mode.

3.215 = 192.168.8.0/24 leases from Beryl
3.203 = 192.168.1.0/24 leases from main router

Is this correct?

I installed 0617 snapshot on the beryl and connected to a problematic wifi. Same message “wrong key”.

What do I have to do to obtain logs and where how can I send them to you @alzhao ?

is there a private message function here?

Can you confirm that the router is in Extender network mode via Admin Panel → MORE SETTINGS → Network Mode? If it is, then try unplugging and plugging in the Ethernet cables to get IP addresses from your main router.

Extender network mode uses Layer 3 relayd routing, which DHCP broadcast does not work that well for.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Hi thanks for the response.
That is exactly how I have setup Beryl by changing network mode to extend.
There is no physical connection between Fritz and Beryl, just wifi.
I am wanting Beryl to extend my LAN over Wifi such that my intercom can get an IP lease from the Fritz 7490.

It works fine until power is cut as the intercom boots before Beryl and is unable to obtain lease and for some reason future DHCP requests fail.

The following diagram shows what I am trying to achieve.

diagram

LupusE this is great information on packet capture on Fritz. thank you.

A really excellent forum all round with super attentive staff (alzhao) and a strong support following by members.

Did you try unplugging and plugging in the Ethernet cables to get IP addresses from your main router?

Due to Layer 3 relayd routing, I avoid Extender network mode. Unfortunately, OpenWRT does not seem to have a “Client” mode that are in other routers, which should work for your use case. I use one of these other routers for an inkjet printer.

Hi wcs2228, yes that fixes the issue.
The problem I have is that all equipment is in a weatherproof enclosure which is painful to access

The blue cable goes to a PoE injector which then feeds the Intercom.

ok, so for this particular use case, Beryl may not be the best optioin.
Any small OpenWRT client mode routers you can recommend that would fit my enclosure?

Can you set a Static IP address on the Doorbird Intercom (same IP address as it would get via DHCP)? If so, that would be easiest to do without buying and wiring new equipment.

EDIT:
I have both TP-Link TL-WR802N and TP-Link TL-WR902AC mini routers and both have Client Mode.

What do you mena problematic wifi? Any info about that wifi network?

it is one of those problematic wifi, where I cannot connect the beryl because of said error.

Referring to this thread:

my other smartphones an laptops can connect to this wifi without problems, but the beryl cannot.
should this problem be gone with this new snapshot? for me it is not and the beryl is therefore not useable as a mobile router.

The latest snapshot fixed connecting to Fritz!box 2.4G.

For other wifi network, if without more info to investigate, we cannot fix.

What do I have to do to obtain logs and where how can I send them to you @alzhao ?

is there a private message function here?

You can click the icon near my username and private message me.

First, connect the router to the wifi.
Then, after it failed, ssh to the router and get system log.