GL-MT1300--people have internet when connected to this network but I cannot open web pages

Hello there, a very newbie here. I have a GL-MT1300 (Beryl), and things were working fine when I was using it a few months ago. Yesterday I turned it on and connected to it and entered my home wifi credentials and connected the model to my home wifi. The GL-MT1300 wifi network is up and running now with my vpn and whoever connects to my GL-MT1300 wifi, they do have access to the Internet (through my VPN). However, when I try to connect to the wifi (created by GL-MT1300) from my own laptop (the laptop I used to set up the network and connect to the modem), I am not able to open up any websites or so (but seems like internet is connected as I can still use some remote connection apps). I updated the GL-MT1300 but still am having the issue. when I ping google.com, I don’t get any response but when I ping it’s IP, I get a response.
In summary, when I try to connect to the wifi created by my GL-MT1300 modem from the same laptop I connect to the modem and set it up (using http://192.168.8.1/), I am not able to open up any websites, but whoever else gets connected to the wifi network created by the modem, they have not issue surfing the web. I have no problem browsing the Internet when I am connected to other networks. it just happens with the network created by my modem.
please let me know if you have any idea how to help. thanks.

Do nslookup google.com in terminal/command prompt to check for DNS/DHCP/ipv6 upstream issues

here is what I get for that:

Seems like the DNS being used is not renewed by Windows assuming that other clients are working, should be pointing at the router.
Try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

What I did was to connect to the wifi (that was created by my GL-MT model and had internet issue), and ran the commands you mentioned, I then restarted my laptop and still having the same issue.

It looks like a DNS problem on the laptop and/or router. The IP 10.238.104.200 is a private address that is not on the Internet.

Show the output on your laptop when you run:

ipconfig/all
nslookup google.com 1.1.1.1

Also, log into the GL-MT1300 router via SSH and show the output when you run:

nslookup google.com

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

This is what I get for ip config and nslookup on my laptop. how should I log to the router and run those commands?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MWKS615199
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : corp.aaa.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : D
corp.aaa.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B4-6A-B1-AC-44
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Surfshark Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-7D-36-88-62

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DC-71-96-19-60-73

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DE-71-96-19-60-72
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DC-71-96-19-60-72
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.124(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 5, 2023 1:39:21 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 6, 2023 1:39:20 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.238.104.200
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DC-71-96-19-60-76

C:\Users\h210624>nslookup google(.com–edited because of restrictions for new users) 1.1.1.1
Server: one.one.one.one
Address: 1.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: googlecom
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:4023:1006::8a
2607:f8b0:4023:1006::64
2607:f8b0:4023:1006::8b
2607:f8b0:4023:1006::65

netsh winsock reset to reset the Windows network stack, note that you will lose saved Wi-Fi passwords.

Assuming your laptop uses DHCP to get IP addresses from the router, it is getting DNS server IPs of 10.238.104.200 and 10,194.178.10, which are private addresses, maybe from your ISP who may have changed them recently. It is also possible that you have set those DNS servers directly on your laptop and needs to be changed.

The nslookup google.com 1.1.1.1 works because it uses a CloudFlare DNS server (one.one.one.one or 1.1.1.1).

thank you @wcs2228 and @tmash, in case this information helps, whoever else gets connected to the network created by my router has access to websites with no issue (and only my laptop that was connected to the router to set up the network shows issues). Also, my laptop connects to other networks with no issue and gets access to internet, it only has problem with the network created by my router.

Download PuTTY (Google for it) and SSH into the router, using root password same as admin password. Run the following commands on the router:

nslookup google.com

https://docs.gl-inet.com/jp/3/tutorials/ssh/

is this 3.x or 4.x Firmware?
Running some kind of windows OS on the laptop?
Something (possibly surfshark app) has hardcoded the OS DNS settings (and are encrypted) so when it tries to us the upstream DNS it can’t.

• Go to Control PanelNetwork and InternetNetwork and Sharing CenterChange adapter settings.
  • Right click Local Area ConnectionProperties.
  • Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)Properties.
    Many VPNs don’t use IPv6 but you may need to change that aswell

Here is some info on DNS setup on the router.
This could also cause it.
DNS Rebinding Attack Protection: Turning on this option may cause private DNS lookup failure. If your network has a captive portal please disable this option.
Override DNS Settings for All Clients: If enabled, your router will override unencrypted DNS settings for all clients.

:gl_emoji_dizzy:I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet :gl_emoji_shacking:

@K3rn3l_Ku5h not sure what you mean by windows OS, but I am currently using windows 10 on my machine. My version is 3.215. I can go till change adapter settings but don’t know the right click step you were saying. can you clarify that step?
Also, in case it help, whoever else gets connected to the network created by my router has access to websites with no issue (and only my laptop that was connected to the router to set up the network shows issues). Also, my laptop connects to other networks with no issue and gets access to internet, it only has problem with the network created by my router and the only computer has issue with it is my own laptop.

@wcs2228 this is what I get when I SSH to the router and run these commands:

nslookup google.com

So if you are using the Ethernet adapter click it and a window should open with Etherent properties where you will find internet Protocol Version 4, select that hit the properties button. Check your WiFi adapter the same way. It will open another window. Everything should be obtained automatically,

@K3rn3l_Ku5h this is what I get. should I change DNS numbers to automatic?:

@K3rn3l_Ku5h seems like that was the issue. thank you for your help. it fixed my problem.

I’m surprised netsh winsock reset did not reset these.