GL-MT3000 (Berly AX) in the WiFi 5G iPhone 13 Pro Max Not working?

Hello,

Hardware is there and I just tested everything again with the GL-MT3000 (Berly AX).
SSID Without a dot and space, no connection, even clones MAC of the iPhone no connection.
No WiFi 5GHz from iPhone Hotspot, WiFi 5GHz is found but not connecting?
It can’t be that I’m the only one who has the problems, it’s the 2nd device or is this a serial error?

I also read here that something under “luci” should be changed/adjusted?
What exactly please, would be very nice if someone would write that, thanks!

Sincerely
Sven H.

Info,

the GL-iNet GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) completely failed the test and is being returned.
Will keep the GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) as a replacement, maybe it will work over time for 5GHz hotspot iPhone, newer FW…
I trust GL-iNet, I’m very enthusiastic about the little ones.
Honestly, we are all beta testers, that’s the way it is, how else should it work, every user has his use for these little mini routers…
The GL-iNet GL-MT1300 (Beryl) fulfills its purpose and offers me the speed via WLAN 5GHz hotspot, just tested again over 600MB/s, that what is on the iPhone LTE/5G He forwards it, yes only up to max 867MB/s. It’s quite a feat. Many big ones (routers, repeaters) cannot do that.

I just received a new GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX). I tested it with an iPad and a iPhone 13 at both 2.5GHz and 5GHz and am routing out to the Internet via a VPN. I cannot corroborate a problem connecting the GL-MT3000 to WiFi.

I did a speed test using Ookla Internet Speed Test. That resulted in about 90 Mbps download and about 11 Mbps upload speed. I haven’t the test many times, nor have I accounted for the peak hours load on my comcast home service, so take the performance numbers with a grain of salt. These performance numbers won’t cause me to replace my home router, but this little GL-MT3000 will do nicely as a travel router while on vacation.

I am interested in whether anybody has tested the cellular modem developer board thingie. If so, what are your results in terms of performance and stability?

1 Like

Hello my friends,

Thank you for your information.

Don’t you get me wrong?

The iPhone 13 Pro Max is on the Internet with LTE/5G, via hotspot it should connect to GL-iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) via 5GHz WLAN because of better speed, but that doesn’t work?
WLAN 2.4GHz yes, but far too little speed. USB tethering yes, but only 160/MB/s, so I need 5GHz.
My GL-iNet GL-MT1300 (Beryl) is far better in terms of 5GHz.
But this is very bad in the USB tethering connection, around 60MB/s.

Sincerely
Sven H

Hello,

I think I know where the mistake is.
Please look at the following pictures:

The first is from GL-MT1300 (Berly) where it works.

The 2nd is from GL-MT3000 (Berly AX) where it doesn’t work

Property now also FW. Snapshot 4.4.5 installed

With the GL-MT3000 (Berly AX) under luc/Network/Wireless under Mode, I can switch to AC & Width to 80 MHz but not to channel 149?

WLAN is set to DE (luci/Network/MTk WiWi (was the same when delivered).

Since it will be drann I think but how do I set it up?

Sincerely

You might be onto something here. I saw with wifi scanning that iPhones try to choose an unused or “best” channel and they might end up with higher channels. If those aren’t available to your Beryl then it won’t search these channels and thus connect. Besides using 2,4, you might want to turn off all nearby 5 GHz AP (or use a makeshift Farady cage) before enabling personal hotspot. Iphone might then choose a lower channel that your Beryl is ok with.

Well Beryl only shows 128 max, even though I have another EU country set. :frowning:

Channels >= 149 have seriously reduced transmit power in Europe so maybe they consider these useless. When I switch country to US, these channels become available, so it’s definitely country related.

1 Like

Hello my friends,

Thank you for your message.
I’m very happy, I’m always happy to learn new things, I don’t have that much experience with these little wonders, but I think they’re very good, GL-iNet does a very good job.

Oh yes you are right, I see that now.
I have to change that and the GL-MT3000 is set to DE, then it’s no wonder, oh dear, thank you very much!

Sincerely
Sven H.

1 Like

GL.iNET Staff, could you explain why we don’t see these high 5 GHz channels on Beryl with country set to DE? According to various sources they are allowed by law, but with reduced power. Is Beryl maybe unable to throttle down power that much?

1 Like

Hello my friends,

I checked everything several times and yet I missed it.
If you change something on the GL-MT3000 under Luci/WLAN, it no longer finds any WLAN networks under WebAdmin (GUI), I have this behavior with the stable as now under Snapshot 4.4.5!

You gave me the hint to look again under countries.
I tried a lot under countries but the way it is now it works, other things don’t work.
Yes, here where I am at home there are a lot of WLANs, these users have everything on max and auto, they have no idea what they are doing to us with it…
My experience is not that great either, but 2.4GHz should never be set to max at home…
There was the error, now there is a 5GHz WiFi connection from the iPhone 13 Pro max.
The GL-MT3000 also passes on full speed, as it should be.

Sincerely
Sven H. is Happy
hp You have been very helpful, thank you very much!!!

Glad it works for you. If any post is particularly useful, please mark it as a solution.

With 2.4 it’s tricky. If you want to have coverage outside, in backyard or garage, full power is the only way with a single AP. Yes, people are often clueless. They set 2.4 GHz channel width to 40 MHz or use channels other than 1, 6, 11 or 1, 5, 9, 13. But that usually happens because of the auto channel setting. :frowning: Unfortunately many APs pick weird channels.

I suggest to start a new thread about the led.

1 Like

Hello,

everything you write is correct.
That’s how I see it too, but here where there isn’t such a situation, such stupid attitudes don’t have to be there…
Please excuse me, I had forgotten and changed it immediately, thanks for the hint.
With LED I already have new:
LED Setup/Config.

Ok then I’ll write it again.
Since it doesn’t work with the GL-MT3000 (Berly AX), I’ll take care of it immediately.

The GL-MT3000 (Berly AX) runs great & Speed ​​+, good job!!

Many thanks for your help & the great hardware from GL-iNet.

Sincerely
Sven H.
Werry Nice Good GL-iNet I love it

I’m happy to hear you are satisfied.

What did you end up doing? Switching Beryl to US or something else worked?

1 Like

That does work but it’s not advisable. :smiley:

We don’t know what’s on those channels or how the transmit limits are enforced. :smiley:

1 Like

Of course. I did it only to check what channels will become available.

I’ve played more with a recent iPhone. Today it always starts personal hotspot on channel 36. Even though there’re 2 x 5 GHz networks (N and AC) with a pretty strong signal on this channel. iPhone does AX, but I don’t think that should matter for channel choice. Go figure. Beryl is of course happy to connect on channel 36.

I used to connect on 2.4 GHz as Beryl has AX there and my iPhone as well, so the speed was pretty decent anyway. I wish mobile phones (also Android is affected) would give us an option to choose a channel.

2 Likes

It works but thank you very much!

Please don’t do that.

You do not know what’s on those frequencies (you might interfere with medical devices, air traffic, etc etc).

1 Like

Hello,

could be, yes but unlikely in the area where i live, mainly i’m built of concrete & steel.
The Berly as well as the Berly AX are never at the window inside the building.
The Berly AX is only on when in use, it is usually off.
Had no problems with the predecessors in this setting.
But thanks for your info.

Sincerely
Sven H

You never know. Sometimes when I look at weather radar in my area, I see many artifacts that are said to be caused by 5 GHz wifis ignoring DFS.

Could you try restarting your iPhone? Maybe it resets its personal hotspot channel then.

2 Likes

I’ve already tried all that, it doesn’t work any other way, unfortunately…
But > Thanks for your info.

Sincerely
Sven H

Yeah. Now, when I’m looking at personal hostspot 5 GHz channel, it’s always 36. Maybe the Neural Engine, or whatever they call it, is sentient? :wink: Some quantum state is collapsing while I’m making my observation?