GL-MT6000 poor wifi coverage

Depends on your country. Within the EU it’s forbidden to use these power values.

1 Like

Have you tried using an OpenWrt snapshot, just to see if that helps? Since the snapshot has a much newer WiFi driver.

You’re free to use that firmware, but you should know that you could be fined for using a higher TX power than your country allows.

Nope. And I haven’t seen any custom English firmware options yet.

In China they’ve got ImmortalWrt and iStore.

1 Like

This value is is very much to high and totally senseless for wlan. If the router would really make this output, electronic devices nearby or even the router itself will be disturbed.
And there is a power difference of more than 10dB to other devices. It’s like someone who is deaf is shouting around.

Guys I’m not using this firmware because the wifi power transmission, I’m using it because I don’t have problems to install dockerd, like 4.5.4. Also it seems the more stable firmware to me.

I tried it, same 2.4ghz issue.

That’s perfectly fine - but in that case, you should lower the power output to the one which is allowed in your country. As the operator of a Wi-Fi hotspot, you are responsible for ensuring that it complies with the regulations.

While in most countries around the world it probably won’t happen if you don’t - there are somewhere there would be severe penalties. That’s why I’m pointing this out to you so explicitly.

1 Like

Dude… the problem is related to the 2.4ghz connection, the wifi disconnections with several people… what will change if he changes the wifi power? Here in Brazil there are a lot of Xiaomi routers that transmit much more power than that…
So let’s focus on what really matters which is the bugs related to the MT6000 because at least here whoever bought it paid a lot and deserves at least the basics to work…

5 Likes

The new 4.5.6 release seems to greatly improve the WIFI drivers from early testing. Higher and stable connection speeds. 160 Mhz mode seems much improved (faster connection and stable).

Version: 4.5.6
Date Compiled: 2024-01-18 22:08:54 (UTC-05:00)
SHA256: 40cb56474375622f8f60b04a988d5cc91b7c437a92abac616737e9df23d4344f

Thanks,
Great news, is it a stable release? Should it be installed manually?

FW 4.5.6 release 1 is in beta phase, you must download it and upgrade through web UI manually. (it’s quite stable in my short experience)

BTW I only have a decent wifi coverage when using firmware 4.5.2 or 4.5.3 beta, where the wifi transmission power is 36dbm

I don’t think the real power is really 36dBm, that’s a a lot of power, remember that dBm are logarithmic, if you convert them to mW you’ll have a better idea. I expect the true transmission power of the Flint 2 to be 30dBm (around 1000mW)

@alzhao Do you have information regarding the Flint 2’s transmission power?

You are right, it’s not really 36 dbm, I think it’s 30 dbm. The problem is now in the recent firmware, on luci shows 30 dbm but per my measure (using a spectrum analyser) it seems just 24 dbm. That’s why if you compare Flint 2 with other routers with the same country configuration, the wifi range of Flint 2 is shorter.

I wouldn’t be so sure, since I switched over to OpenWrt snapshots and noticed the dip in power when compared to 4.5.2. Then when GL.iNet released 4.5.3 I quickly tested that and found that my PCs signal strength was identical to what I get with OpenWrt snapshots.

What I’m really curious about though is if the routers firmware had the boosted transmit power “bug” during certification. Because if it did then it passed while the transmit power was boosted :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guess it was this issue: GL-MT6000 - Wi-Fi power too high (?)

As a telecommunications engineer I worked for a few years in testing and measurement companies, carrying out these tests at regulatory agencies in my country (analogous to the FCC in the USA). In general, these tests are very demanding, it is difficult to know if there was such a “bug”

Yep. That’s what I was using right before I switched over to OpenWrt snapshots.

When switching to and from the stock firmware I’ve used inSSIDer to compare the signal strengths.

Yeah. It’s not something that anyone here can answer, but if the transmit power wasn’t boosted during the certification process then why was it changed after it’d passed certification? It’s very strange.

But in general I think GL.iNet should make their web UI and app ask the user what country they’re in when they first configure the router, since for many people the WiFi will be misconfigured by default and they’ll never access LuCI to correct the settings.

5 Likes

In using the latest 4.5.6 build 2024-01-18, after a few hours I lose DNS connection. If I reboot the router, or even disconnect / reconnect wireless at my PC I get he DNS connection back. Went back to the 4.5.4 release 2023-12-12 which is stable for me.

This is the first group where people complain about too much transmit power and the default country setting. Let’s keep this simple please. From LUCI, my default country is correct. However, if someone bought the router in a different country than their own, the default will be wrong of course. Same with any brand of router.

2 Likes

We nedd a more straightforward way of tracking the many bugs seriously, this it’s getting ridiculous :person_facepalming:

3 Likes

Same problem…

I’m comparing Flint2 against my old ISP Router/Modem built with legacy Broadcom 63138, 4366 and 43602 chipsets, and my Flint2 is always 6~10dB weaker than it

You’d expect people to know that, but a lot of people will buy the router, set the WiFi channels and/or SSID and then go about their day. And the GL.iNet UI doesn’t even offer a WiFi country code setting.

Maybe someone from Europe who bought the router from Amazon can comment on this, but did your box have French text on it and was the WiFi country code correctly set for your country?

Either way, on Amazon the routers marketed as a “Gaming WiFi Router” with “Rapid OpenVpn & WireGuard” support and “Long Range Coverage”. So it’s not just tech-savvy people who’ll purchase it, which is why I think it’s important for the GL.iNet web UI and the app to guide people into setting the correct country code.

As for this issue, depending on your DNS settings it could be caused by an updated package. But GL.iNet will be releasing an alpha firmware on Monday, so maybe that will fix it?

2 Likes