GL-MV1000 with AdGuard all clients show as localhost

Gli should add these DNS port config changes to their scripts, so when we toggle on Adguard, it should redirect to port 53.

The solution will cause DHCP failure.

2 Likes

a pop up warning when togggling this setting to say ethernet clients connected via a hub must be disconnected and reconnected because this change will cause dns issues with them (and a reboot will be issued). this is obviously a more advanced tool for advanced users. majority of your customer base may have issues but you would be surprised the benefits far out weigh the learning curve. just poking some ideas. extra bells and whistles presented as organized searchable highly informative traffic logs is always a plus presented as a plug and play solution

TESTING In depth:
I tried both methods (separately) put forth by @Chao-chao & @rp201rp
Although both seem to successfully get the DNS Query Log from the right Client IP, with a DNS lookup (nslookup, dig, etc) All actual network traffic fails.

Behavior seen:
Wireless dongle:
My Android and iPad Clients will succeed in WLAN connection and DHCP lease/IP/DNS, but get “no internet” or “no connection” and revert to the wifi that is working.

Wired:
Linux clients are able to ‘dig’ but not ‘ping’ Examle:
$ dig youtube.com

; <<>> DiG 9.11.20-RedHat-9.11.20-5.el8_3.1 <<>> youtube.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28179
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;youtube.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
youtube.com. 286 IN A 142.250.217.110

;; Query time: 632 msec
;; SERVER: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX#53(IPADDRESS)
;; WHEN: Mon Nov 22 15:45:06 PST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 56

$ ping youtube.com
connect: Network is unreachable

In both cases, the ADH DNS query log, will have the right Client IP.

Reverting changes back, I successfully get full networking back.

If others aren’t having this issue, it may be because for my setup I am currently getting WAN from a USB WIFI adaptor (AWUS036AC), and I may be missing something in the way that GL.inet auto-configures this. I’ll have to get a really long cable, to play with a wired ‘WAN’ connection.

1 Like

sorry to hear your having issues. I’m not using this setup at the moment to confirm but just to be clear the purpose is so you can see your individual client ip’s individually in agh admin page instead of them all being shared as a single “locahost” 127.0.0.1 ip. which turns out to be a port forward using the Luci\firewal\portforward. Also, a reboot may be required. agh may have changed or even something in gli. I hit a wall with this and found this solution. if there is an issue perhaps you may be able to adapt to the changes to drive forward. if I recall correctly, you forward a port from an interface to a port with the same interface.

This is how to do this from the Luci interface without the need for the SSH access.
This has to created in section Firewall - Port Forwards.

7 Likes

Any update on a more elegant solution to this issue?

3 Likes

any update for this issue, I have the same issue (:sunny:

Same here only shows localhost instead of clients IP’s on a GL-AX1800

MT1300 - I did firewall thing ONLY, and that gave me the fix. :slight_smile:
What’s great is it shows up in Luci > Network > Firewall > Port Forwards so I can easily toggle it off if I’m ever also turning off Adguard Home!

1 Like

I’ve also found a (manual) way to get the hostnames to show up in AdGuard Home (other than just the client IP).

Just go in luci Network → Hostnames

From there you can select the IP and Mac address of your device and give it a name. It will then show up instantly in AGH.

This port forwarding solution works! Thank you for the easy instructions + screenshot.

FYI that (at least for me) requests from all clients on the guest network still are still seen as localhost 127.0.0.1 within AGH. However, requests from clients on the main network are are working as intended.

I had follow your step to setup but still not functioning, I cannot put the beryl main default ip address to my mobile devices and my master router.

Is there any way to get device hostnames to show up in AdGuard home?

At the moment this solution is working but you just get to see the IPs. I have posted above a way to hardcode device names by MAC address but that’s not ideal.

1 Like

Sorry, what’s the best solution on this for a GL-AX1800?
I’m mixed up between too many ideas here.
@alzhao

1 Like

We still do not have a recommended solution. Each solution has some limitations.

Before using Adguard on Glinet routers, I have Adguard installed on Ubuntu. I have to get UDP Port 53 released for Adguard. So I would suggest dnsmasq to use ports other than UDP 53 when Adguard is enabled. Or, make Adguard service always enabled by factory-default. Let the user to Enable or Disable protection. @alzhao

2 Likes

Since AdGuard supports DNS and DHCP, would it be easier for Glinet routers just use AdGuard for DNS and DHCP by default?

2 Likes

That sounds like an easy solution for GL to implement!

@alzhao

By the way, is it possible to distinguish clients from WireGuard? I have set DNS in WireGuard to be 10.0.0.1