GL-SFT1200 Opal 4.x testing

I decided to upgrade and so far it’s working good, I saw 2 minor problems (4.1.1 beta1)

1. Seems like the router doesn’t save the dark mode setting and I need to activate it everytime I log in.
  2. The VPN traffic restarts after some time, I found out it restarts if the connection drops but that didn’t happen before, it would keep showing the total VPN traffic even if there were some connection drops.

I will share my feedback here just in case I find a bug.

2 Likes

Any info on when 4.x beta will be available?

1 Like

UPDATE: I’ve had some problems with the repeater mode, the router connects normally and the OpenVPN connection is established but internet doesnt’ work, I tried eveything I could, updated from 4.1.1 to the latest snapshot and still the same so I had to downgrade to 3.215 again and it worked. I would not upgrade to 4x with this model.

Thanks for your feedback. This is a known bug related to fw3 compatibility with some firewall rules. It will be fixed soon.

Thank you to u develop! I really like that u add gl-agh in 4.2.1!
But when I start it, agh didnot start, and when I go 192.168.8.1:3000 nothing find.

If I can help u to test, write me, I ready)

It’s not installed by default. Please refer to

Is 4.x development for Opal still ongoing? It has been a while since a new snaphot firmware version was released! Can you please update us on the status?

Recently updates include a bug fix about the fw3 compatibility.
Now we are fixing some build system issues, Opal snapshot should be updated this week.

1 Like

I hope, the wireguard connectivity issue will be also fixed with the newest snapshot.

Okay, yes, that’s the same issue.

Snapshot 4.2.1 from 03/27/2023
it’s been a month since there is no new snapshot and patch for gl-sft1200. Open vpn does not work. Wireguard is down. Tor causes the router to freeze.
When will there be fixes?

1 Like

This is a fantastic router, just doing it’s job, I really love it!
I really hope there are no hardware barrier to continue and finish development of the 4x firmware, which should result in releasing a stable 4x firmware.
I am waiting for 4x firmware because I need the load balance/failover option, but not using the current beta and snapshot version, because there is an issue with wireguard connection.
BTW
The failover function is even working in 3x firmware!
Simply I connect a wired internet to WAN port and another one - for example - wifi in repeater mode, and when cable connection goes down, then router automatically switch to the wifi, and when cable connection is available again, it switch back again. The only drawback is, that there is no dedicated menu for failover settings in 3x, but it works with some limitations. That’s why I’m looking forward to the 4x firmware.

The 3x firmware shapshot is released almost daily for Opal. For other routers 4x snapshots are also regularly updated, but not for Opal. As I wrote earlier, I really hope there is no hardware barrier to continue and finish development of the 4x firmware. Will there be a new shapshot? Do you plan to release a stable version and when?

There will be update. This month we should be able to speed up firmware releasing.

1 Like

I have tried the new 4.2.3 beta for Opal.
The Wireguard client finally connects, and its working now, so this is a very good improvement! But… I have a few comments:

• The router is connecting to the internet significantly slower (through cable, and also as a wifi repeater), than it was case with the 3.216.
  • Similarly, the Wireguard client also needs much-much more time to connect.
  • If I activate the WG client, I cannot reach the router above Opal (wich is from the wan side), regardless of whether is “Block Non-VPN Traffic” option is turned on or off. In the 3.x firmware if I turn off the Killswitch I can access it, if I turn it on, I can’t. And I think it should be that way. But with 4.2.3, when if Wireguard is active, I can’t access it in any way.

I hope these things can be improved.

Thank you for your feedback. Optimization is in progress.

Please turn on “Allow Access WAN”(which is below “Block Non-VPN Traffic” option).

1 Like

Thank you very much for the feedback!
We may be misunderstanding each other.
I don’t want to allow access to Opal from WAN. I want the exact the opposite: to access the ISP-s router which is connected to the Opal’s WAN port. With 3.216 I was able to access it, even though option “Allow Access WAN” was turned off. I think, turning this option on is not the best solution for the problem.

Sorry I should explain it better, that option could be misleading indeed. But it does not allow WAN to be accessed by the Internet.

Please refer to “Allow Access WAN” part.

Yes, you are right. Thanks for explanation!

1 Like

Hello!
The new 4.3.2 beta1 firmware is much more stable than the previous beta version was, and the connection time is significantly shorter. It seems, router works perfectly except one bug: there is a popupping message for no apparent reason: “Timeout in response. Please check the network environment or reboot the device.” - while everything is working fine. So simply I just ignoring this message.