GL-X3000 - Bridge Mode WAN IP Passthrough

Is this planned for the future? When using the Spitz AX just as an external modem bridged to another router, it would be very beneficial to be able to bridge Dual IP Stack.

This is the result of the commands after the router starts up and I manually adjust the APN for my fixed ip to work.

and this is what it looks like after a restart without modifying the APN

Is there any way to get an official statement of whether IPv4 and IPv6 passthrough at the same time will be supported in the future? The availability (or absense) of this option is a purchasing decision for me.

@yuxin.zou @lizh I just wanted to report back that with the current “fix” the router still gets stuck as reported before almost every time there is an IP change.

However, if I run ifup modem_0001 I can recover 90% of the time. Still, this needs to be executed manually.

Let me know if you need any extra debug output. Thanks!

However, if I run ifup modem_0001 I can recover 90% of the time. Still, this needs to be executed manually.

We seem to suffer from the same issue. I found a workaround using a openwrt plugin: luci-app-internet-detector. However this is something that the gl-inet staff really has top pick up IMO.

1 Like

Hi ordex:

Thanks! Get it.

how do I install that plugin? I can’t seem to find it in the package list on luci-web.

@ordex I have a bad memory, bad I think I just followed the installation instructions: GitHub - gSpotx2f/luci-app-internet-detector: Internet detector for OpenWrt.

The name of the package is luci-web?Not luci-app-xxxx?

I like what I’m seeing with the GL-X3000 so far, but the lack of simultaneous IPv4/IPv6 passthrough makes me send it back while still in the product return period.

Hi lihz,

can you program the router to save the manually added APN(in my case "fixip.a1.net) after a restart?

and is it at all possible to adjusting the port for the login page so that one can access the login screen directly over the default public ip? i.e: 10.11.12.13:13245

I am no expert here, but itsn’t that covered by setting a custom profile and tie it to the SIM?

This is the answer from Gemini as of 10.03.2024
(I asked if one could save the profile to the card from the a phone)

***—
Unfortunately, that functionality is no longer available on SIM cards.
The profile is stored on the phone’s internal storage.

Here’s why saving APN profiles directly to SIM cards isn’t possible anymore:

• Limited SIM Card Storage:
    SIM cards have very limited storage capacity, typically only enough for basic information like your carrier ID, phone number, and maybe some temporary settings. They aren’t designed to store complex configurations like APN details.

• Security Concerns:
    Storing sensitive information like APN credentials (username and password) directly on the SIM card could pose security risks in case the SIM card is lost or stolen.

Even if the APN name itself is simple, like “abcde.ab.ab”, it wouldn’t be possible to save it directly to a modern SIM card. Here’s why:

APN profile includes more than name: The APN name is just one part of the entire APN configuration. Other details like proxy, port, username, and password (if required) are also crucial for connecting to a specific network. These additional details can make the overall profile more complex than just a simple name.

So, even with a seemingly simple APN name, the limitations and security concerns around SIM card storage prevent saving the entire profile directly.

—***

I can say though that i have tried the latest Firmware “Snapshot”
version: 4.6.0 (2024-03-08) openwrt-xe3000-4.6.0-0308-1709834947.bin
and it does save the profile to the router after a restart, but doesn’t have any internet connectivity when used injunction with with this passthrough method mentioned in the above post… “yet”.

I looking forward to the fix for the stable version. :smiley:

any idea when this fix/update will roll out?

Can you program the router to save the manually added APN(in my case "fixip.a1.net) after a restart?
—>Do you mean that multiple APNs can be stored in the same SIM?

I’m assuming that the profiles of manually configured APNs are saved on the router.

With the current version the saved setting become null and void after a restart.

Thus I would like to see the option to save profile in the next update. Like on the last updated snap shot version that I mentioned before.

What ever they did there worked. Only problem with the snapshot is that the internet connection doesn’t work with the passthrough script when activated in ssh.

1 Like

Other 5G routers like Chester Cheetah recommend using DMZ as that works as a pseudo passthrough. Would that work in the scenario until the bridge feature is launched?

No, that is different than passthrough / bridging.

I was excited to try this out and feel like I’m ALMOST there.

Setup is a Tmobile SIM card for WAN and a OPNSense firewall for LAN. After doing a system reset, I enable bridging and see the WAN IP on the FW change from a private one to a public address. However, at that point the internet stops working. I can ping the FW gateway (which has a public address) but can’t get any further. If I set the GL-X3000 back to Router mode everything starts working again.

Trying to think of anything I might have missed or could try. Any ideas?