Help GL-X3000 Spitz AX Using Visible SIM

I haven’t been able to connect to Visible either. At best I see it connect for a few minutes, then it disconnects. Have other people been able to resolve this?

My Visible connection has been up for 4 days now using firmware 4.0-release10305. I’m using VZWINTERNET for the APN. I’m not sure if these other settings have any effect on the stability of the connection but I am using automatic for DNS, have modified the TTL per my earlier post and have a WireGuard tunnel running.

1 Like

Thanks! Apparently during some of my earlier testing Visible blocked the SIM card I had been using. I’m waiting to get a replacement and will give it a try again.

I’m having the same issue with Visible sim, unable to get it to connect with my GL-XE3000 . I have the latest firmware. I have tried the above troubleshooting and settings, but still it won’t connect. What can I do to get this working?

My X3000 has worked just fine with the Visible base plan on 4.0-release50402 and now on 4.0-0403release7. The one thing that might be different in my setup vs those having issues is that at some point I changed the IMEI to that of my Pixel 7.

1 Like

I use a TTl of 88 on both ipv4/6 also I lock to band lte 66 and n5 for 5G NSA
image_2023-12-07_104242282

What is the reason behind using the TTL of 88?

It works, to avoid 5mb cap on hotspot

Then you should be using 65, not 88. I’ve had success with the TTL mod for over a year up until recently. I am currently getting throttled to 5 Mbps unless I combine the TT=65 with a VPN.

Using 88 it justs works with or without a vpn
Screenshot 2023-12-07 153934

I recently started using the M2 5G development board along with my Slate AX 1800. Prior to getting the modem I was tethering an iphone 8 and I had been using a TTL of 65 in the firewall custom rules file with good speeds (50mb/sec down) on new Visible plan. With a TTL of 65 using the Quectel RM520N-GL modem, I couldn’t get past the 5Mb hot spot limit. Tried TLL 88 and problem solved. Not sure exactly why it worked but it did.

1 Like

Visible works best with no IPV6 and APN of “internet”

Same here. 65 only working with VPN on but 88 is working without VPN.

1 Like

I’m using internet and 88 without a VPN. I do have rules for IPV6 in my custom rules firewall file. Is there a benefit to leaving them out of the file?

1 Like

I have this in my custom rules and seems ok, I have not implemented IPV6
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 88
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 88
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j HL --hl-set 88
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING 1 -j HL --hl-set 88

2 Likes

<conspiracy theory>
It just occurred to me that perhaps Verizon/Visible is intentionally allowing the TTL=88 to bypass the hotspot throttle to see how many people are using the trick. It’s my understanding that TTL=65 works because 64 if the default TTL for cell phones. I don’t understand why 88 would work.

Based on my experience with TTL=65 not working anymore it seams as if Verizon is using some sort of DPI (deep packet inspection) to determine if a hotspot is being used despite the “correct” TTL value being used (due to the TTL trick). This also seem to agree with my experience that using a VPN will defeat the throttle as Verizon’s DPI is unable to see the data and determine that the data is hotspot data.
</conspiracy theory>

Please share your thoughts on this.

I totally agree! I found that when I set my PC to 65 TTL/HL in cmd and then connect to the internet through a VPN I can pull 20-60 Mbps and connect as many devices as I wish (so long as I hotspot then directly to the PC) on 4g without any issue at all. This implies to me that these gl.inet routers are messing up the packets somehow and alerting the isp to throttle data. I started looking into converting an old laptop into a hotspot to overcome this entire debacle.

That’s weird, tbh. The TTL should be not the reason for that, since the VPN will use it’s own TTL mostly.

I hotspot dozens of devices with or wo vpn, ttl 88, Gl-3000 AX on Visible

IDK, I use NordVPN and couldn’t find anywhere to adjust TTL/HL limits. I’m connected to a Verizon MiFi 8800l. Even with my IPVs set, I get throttled to 5 Mbps without my VPN. I tried the “88” trick, and my speed jumped to about 10 Mbps, but I could tell it was still throttled. I use a stock Windows 11 Thinkpad, T480s if I am not mistaken. I have Nord set to auto-start and I use quick connect to the fastest router available and that is it.