How to enable Lan port on GL-AR300M?

Jeffsf, I’m not sure if I understand what you mean with “setting up the WAN interface as DHCP”. The connection to the Mobly is done through a USB port between the Mobly and the AR300M and is governed by the settings under Internet_Settings->3/4G on the AR300M.

That is the information I’m looking for from /etc/network/config – how it appears there. Basically I think you need to configure the connection to the Mobly so that it becomes your upstream connectivity, including the firewall rules (with NAT) that would normally be on the “WAN” interface/zone.

Ok, need a little more help. I was able to SSH into the AR300M, but when I get to /etc/config it won’t allow be do cd network. I get an error “cd: can’t cd to network”. What do I have to do?

It seems I don’t have permissions to view that directory. Don’t know how to login as su.

/etc/config/network is a file. cat /etc/config/network or less /etc/config/network so you can copy and then paste into a post using the preformatted button </>

/etc/config# less network

config interface ‘loopback’

option ifname ‘lo’

option proto ‘static’

option ipaddr ‘127.0.0.1’

option netmask ‘255.0.0.0’

config globals ‘globals’

option ula_prefix ‘fdc4:6cf5:7afc::/48’

config interface ‘lan’

option ifname ‘eth1’

option force_link ‘1’

option type ‘bridge’

option proto ‘static’

option netmask ‘255.255.255.0’

option ip6assign ‘60’

option hostname ‘GL-AR300M-7b9’

option ipaddr ‘192.168.8.1’

config interface ‘wan’

option ifname ‘eth0’

option hostname ‘GL-AR300M-7b9’

network

On another note. I took the ar300m as is and disconnected from Mobley. Hooked wan into a lan port on my main home router, then hooked a laptop up to the lan port of the ar300m and still couldn’t get anything out of it but my main home router does Id the ar300 as a client. Could be that I need to turn off dhcp on the ar300…

@jeffsf do you need any more information?

That only looks like the first few lines of the file. (Also, the preformat button, </> makes code/output a lot easier to read.)

@jeffsf, sorry was on vacation. Hopefully this is everything you need out of that file. @limbot, I may try the firmware upgrade as well depending on how far I get today.

root@OutInTheSticks:/etc/config# cat network

config interface 'loopback'
  option ifname 'lo'
  option proto 'static'
  option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
  option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
  option ula_prefix 'fdc4:6cf5:7afc::/48'

config interface 'lan'
  option ifname 'eth1'
  option force_link '1'
  option type 'bridge'
  option proto 'static'
  option netmask '255.255.255.0'
  option ip6assign '60'
  option hostname 'GL-AR300M-7b9'
  option ipaddr '192.168.8.1'

config interface 'wan'
  option ifname 'eth0'
  option hostname 'GL-AR300M-7b9'
  option metric '10'
  option peerdns '0'
  option proto 'static'
  option ipaddr '192.168.1.42'
  option netmask '255.255.255.0'
  option gateway '192.168.1.1'
  option dns '8.8.8.8'

config interface 'wan6'
  option ifname 'eth0'
  option proto 'dhcpv6'

config interface 'wwan'
  option proto 'dhcp'
  option metric '20'
  option peerdns '0'
  option dns '8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4'

config interface 'modem'
  option proto '3g'
  option ifname '3g-modem'
  option device '/dev/ttyUSB2'
  option country 'country73'
  option sp 'isp0'
  option service 'umts'
  option dialnum '*99#'
  option apn 'broadband'
  option metric '40'
  option peerdns '0'
  option dns '8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4'

Just pinging this thread.

Your “modem” interface needs to work like what would ordinarily be your “WAN” interface. That probably means creating a firewall zone for it if it doesn’t have one already, and setting up forwarding and masquerade on it similarly to what is on “WAN”. That’s probably easiest in the “Advanced” config (LuCI). The WAN interface can be left there, as “it isn’t doing any harm” if it doesn’t have a DHCP server to give it an address, and doesn’t have link (no cable plugged in).