Meet Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 )

Nice to see Flint successor is coming !

12 Likes

It’s even late. But I wish it was wireless 6e.Even DDR4 2GB would be better

3 Likes

What’s the benchmarks on OpenVPN & WireGuard?

1 Like

OpenVPN speed up to 180 Mbps; WireGuard® speed up to 900 Mbps.

2 Likes

The 1GB storage ensures efficient router management, enhancing system stability and reliability.

Don’t you mean 8GB?:

Memory / Storage	DDR4 1GB / eMMC 8GB
1 Like

Finally a device with 2 x 2,5 Gbit interfaces. I do hope it could also handle the 2,5Gbit throughput if it needs to NAT all that traffic. Not that I can currently find out easily.

I guess MediaTek Filogic 830?

1 Like

YYYEEEESSSS!!! Really looking forward to this device.

Just order 4x M2 Modem Sleds and this would pair nicely with it.

wow looks like a great device.

I’ve been using Asus for years as my primary home router and have a Beryl MT1300 for travel, but would be willing to give this a go to see if it would be as good as my GT-AX6000.

a bit late but good to see one from you with some up-to-date processing power… maybe one with 1-2 10G Base-T port(s) and at least one SFP+ port and tri/quad band wifi? lot of ISPs started to offer 5G and 10G internet offers so… a “Flint Ultimate” , “Supreme” , “Pro” :slight_smile:
i will 100% buy one or two GL.iNet more with wifi6e/wifi7 and at least two 10G ports (one 10G Base -T and one SFP+ or both SFP+)
what about some wifi6e/7 WAPs tri/quad band and a controller (local, not cloud). i’d love to have a combination of a powerful 10G capable router with 1-2 quadband WAPs wifi7

2 Likes

I would consider the Asus RT-AX88U Pro, which was released earlier this year and already supported by Merlin firmware. My current Asus RT-AX88U has been rock solid and feature rich.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

3 Likes

The AX88U Pro doesn’t have the cool Aura RGB which increases the PHY link rate to 10TB/sec and improves bogomips by a factor of 10x. :wink:

1 Like

Well wcs2228,
As I’m sure you are aware…BROADCOM ASUS routers (Merlin Firmware Included) are currently disabling Hardware Acceleration when Wireguard is enabled on the Router. What this means is no matter how much money you throw at the bells and whistles of an Asus Router you are currently capped at about 350Mbps download using Wireguard on the Router…Even the Flint (Version 1.0) beats that handily (500Mbps and more depending on the VPN provider). So why spend $300+ on an Asus router until they sort that little bit of info out that you “forgot” to mention.

It depends on what capabilities and features are important to you. For me, stability and reliability are the most critical when a number of wired and wireless are all connected (including NAS, VoIP, video doorbell, smartlock). The world will come to an end for family members if the Internet goes down :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

In terms of price, the reliability factor is worth every penny to me and $300 is a modest amount (prices will drop in due course). Whereas people buy Apple and Android personal smartphones and tablets for $100’s or over $1,000, it seems they scrimp on home routers for the whole family.

Regarding WireGuard, I do not use it at all and my Internet Upload speed is only 50Mbps. There are so many features in Asus routers without having to make changes in GL.iNet UI and LuC>I U, installing packages, etc.

I mentioned the RT-AX88U Pro as an option for me, without intending to compare specific capabilities and features for each individual. Each of us can make our decisions after researching.

2 Likes

A worth sucessor to the Flint.
Looking forward to finding out the release date and price

2 Likes

Congrats on the release.

Flint 1 is a very stable product, hope Flint 2 can be the same.

Attached image for Flint1 uptime.

4 Likes

I suppose it is a little off topic, but here I am on my sixth AsusMerlin router, an AX88 and third Gl-Inet travel router. There isn’t anything else out there like that line, but Asus is increasingly going to closed source, on top of Broadcom being closed source, and that is an issue as there are fewer and more limited areas Merlin can make improvements. WG does have to turn off hardware acceleration, but folks have now figured out how to have the rest of the router run with it on, so it is possible to get native consumer speeds outside the tunnel while still having the tunnel active. But another aspect is that openvpn is essentially maxed out now, since the kernels Asus is using will not allow DCO and openvpn is not going to implement multithreading.

Where Merlin shines is the ability to have 2 openvpn servers and 5 openvpn clients, on top of wg client/server peers, and then with VPN Director (policies), implement per-device/subnet routing. So your TV can do local, your android TV box and laptop can VPN to US, and your chromecast VPN to Australia, while having site to site VPN connections to multiple locations.

What I see as a great opportunity for GL-inet is to flesh out something similar (it’s open source) but leverage it with more current kernels that will allow DCO for openvpn and also achieve these impressive wg speeds on faster and faster hardware.

That’s why I think this Flint 2 is a really impressive step up and opens the door to replacing the Asus ecosystem.

2 Likes

elorimer,
First off I have no issues with ASUS routers or Merlin Firmware (I own an AC Model (with Merlin) but have not upgraded as I am totally wired except for a few media boxes and don’t care about WiFi capabilities. The only issue that I have with gl.inet is that they made their start specializing in travel routers…And you see a lot of that travel router bent in the Flint which is not a travel router (Presumably devs prefer not to make a more specialized version of the firmware for their Home Router). However because gl.inet excells at the Wireguard capability (That’s why I own the Flint) and I prefer not to go through the hell and torment of configuring a PFSense or OPNSense Router (Which is way beyond anything that I or most home users need). As wcs2228 said each individual has to pick a router based upon what his/her needs are. For me a simple to use consumer-grade router that had good wireguard performance was paramount. And the Flint version 1.0 delivered that in spades. That’s why I’m most suredly going to be a Flint version 2.0 router purchaser (And not Asus which again I don’t have anything against in the least but it’s offering are things I don’t care about and not offering what I do care about. If segmentation of subnets and the ability to setup VPN Director policies for different devices (and you don’t utilize higher speed Wireguard connections) then Asus might be a fine choice. But it is no longer a good option for me. Maybe that will change in the future.

i was buying an asus router (tuf ax6000) just because it has two 2.5 ports,and then i checked out the gl inet website just to see if something new was announced or released and boom the flint 2,literally the thing i was dreaming for months…double 2.5 and up to 900Mbps with wireguard!
A worth upgrade from my trusted flint.

1 Like

In fact, for the release of Flint 2, we’ve added quite a few features that work for home routers. :laughing:
I’d like to ask what you think are the more important more specialized home router features.