Meet Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 )

Selectable SMB 1.0, 2,0, 3.0 and option to Force as master browser (See Asus Merlin).
In Linux world they will throw out the baby with the bath water in order to support the latest
security measures. Totally understandable in a work/enterprise environment. However in a home network
people don’t automatically throw away devices or computers because someone decides to no longer
support it. (Please no lectures on how dangerous SMB 1.0 is…Individuals can make up their own minds).

Screenshot

1 Like

I suggest GL.iNet buy an Asus RT-AX88U and/or the new RT-AX88U Pro model to see all the useful core features and how easy and cohesive the single integrated UI is. The same probably applies to routers from other brands.

As I stated, stability and reliability are actually the “features” that are most critical for me, ease of use being another important “feature”. I currently own 6 GL.iNet routers and I do not consider any of them able to replace my Asus main router based on my specific criteria. GL.iNet has specific features that I use the routers for and GL.iNet has non-core features that I believe a minority of your customers actually use.

3 Likes

Given the improvements in memory and CPU speed, the most important opportunity for new features in a fixed (not travel) router, to my mind, is multiple VPN clients with the ability to direct individual devices (or a range of IPs) to particular VPN clients (ala VPN Director).

The second is to keep up with OpenVPN DCO to improve OpenVPN speeds.

4 Likes

One absolutely vital features for a home router nowadays is a properly working multi-WAN functionality for load balance and failover including the ability to convert LAN port to a secondary WAN ones out of the box. Proper email notification and monitoring facilities for the various router functions would also be greatly welcome.

1 Like

The Flint 2 contains a WAN port and a WAN/LAN port. You can set Dual-Ethernet WAN in Flint2.

2 Likes

Does it do failover and load balancing? Asking for a friend :grin:

Any chance to support VLAN?

When is the release date?

+1 to this suggestion but I’ll add that GL.iNet should install Merlin and then install amtm. That’s where there is so much awesomeness. The community behind all the custom services is phenomenal. I’m a big fan of skynet, ntpmerlin. scmerlin, scribe, and AdGuardHome. That said, the core broadcom drivers have been struggling since 386. However, I’m hopeful that the new beta from Merlin with the latest GPL might finally resolve some of the gremlins that surfaced going to 388.

Looking forward to try it out! Wish it came with 6e though.
Interested in VPN speeds as a server

I have an AX-1800 and the AXT-1800…
The AXT-1800 is a great travel routers, but for home (1 Gbps line) the AX-1800 is clearly insufficient, especially as I need to route all traffic via VPN to avoid censorship (Turkey) and even just to improve peering.

It’s great to see the Flint 2 announcement but it’s quite disappointing to see wireguard “only” up to 900 Mbps. I would expect at least 1.2 Gbps with the 2.5 Gbps ports, as well as wifi 7 (soon) or 6e… and another very important feature is to have multiple vpn to different devices (not wifi networks, it should be on the configuration settings).

Wireguard from 500~550 (my speeds vary from 350 to 550 with a 10 Gbps wireguard server in the UK) to 900 is significant, but not what expected considering the 2.5 Gbps ports.

If you can come up with 900 Mbps… it would be worthwhile to come up with a product that at least does 1 Gbps or 1.2 Gbps on wireguard.

2 Likes

900 mbps in a consumer grade router would be a significant achievement if they can pull it off. 500 is significant in a router, too. If you want more you should be looking at offloading WG to another device, and letting the router do NAT. Can’t do both, so I am lead to believe.

The ports don’t have much to do with it. I suspect it is because the chip supports 2.5 gbps ports. If you have a 1 gbps line, how can you get more?

3 Likes

What I meant is, proportionally to the 2.5 Gbps ports, I would expect 50% wireguard performance.
Also currently I have 1 gbps, but I could order more… and that’s not the point.
The point is, if they are designing the hardware they can certainly create something better with a faster cpu. The NanoPi R6S for example, can do 1 Gbps wireguard.

It’s still a good product and I might actually buy it, not saying otherwise… only that it could be a lot better.

1 Like

As the saying goes, “Speed is just a question of MONEY…How fast do you want to go?”…

Hello,

Nice to see that new product coming to life.

I’m currently using two AX-1800 and two AXT-1800, and I am really pleased with them.
I’m using them as wifi repeater/access point, and as a DHCP/DNS server for a few VLANs, with inter-VLANs routing. They also serve as Wireguard clients to a pfSense infrastructure. Works like a charm.

I’m just disappointed that there’s no 10 Gbit ports.
My ISP is able to provide me an 8 Gbit down/2 Gbit up link and I really don’t want to use its box, as there’s no way to manage it.

I’ll wait a little more for a 10 Gbit capable router from GL.iNet, hopefully in a near future.

Keep going with the nice work.

802.11be + 10Gbps link would be nice to have! RJ45 + SFP+ port support will put GL.iNET routers so ahead of the curve

2 Likes

My setup has either asusmerlin or fresh tomato router with glui routers

I am curious to know which mediatek platform is used for flint2, and how is the thermal management , I prefer passive cooling

1 Like

Putting QoS in as a standard feature would be a nice addition, as would be some way of testing buffer bloat and responsiveness from the router rather than having to run something on a connected client.

There has been some work done by Apple on the testing side of this contributed recently:

3 Likes

Didn’t the flint 1 run on a ‘special/non-standard’ version of OpenWRT due to it’s chip? something about the wireless I believe

Filogic 830 for sure. About the cooling, I think it`s passive, because of the weight. 800 is a lot