Multi-stories building

Hi all

I live in a tower :slight_smile:

My home have three stories.

I have a cable connection in each of these (192.168.1.x WAN modem also is a DHCP server).

As the mobile+tablet works with wi-fiI I purchased three MANGO GL-MT300N-V2

I would ike to something like that:

+----------------------------------------------------------+
| Story 2 | cabled 192.168.1.x -- Mango-2 ..)))            |
+----------------------------------------.-----------------+
| Story 1 | cabled 192.168.1.x -- Mango-1 ..)))            |
| Story 0 | cabled 192.168.1.x -- Mango-0 ..)))            |
|  WAN IN |                                                |

If Iā€™m in the first floor the phone is connect to mango-1, when I go downstairs on the ground floor the signal of Mango-0 will be stronger and I would like the phone disconnect Mango-1 for Mango-0, in the same way the mobile ā€˜linksā€™ to different celsl (mobile base stations) while you do a car trip.

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance

Assuming you have the three devices bridged, not routed, the the SSID(s) consistently on the same subnet, then by setting the same SSID(s) on all three, the clients will have the choice to select a better AP when you move within their range. It is a client decision as to which AP to associate with and many clients are ā€œstickyā€, even when a stronger AP is seen. It can take ~1.5 s for a client to associate with an AP. By keeping them on a bridged subnet, you can at least avoid the delays for DHCP and keep existing connections in place, as the clientsā€™ IP addresses wouldnā€™t change when they roam to another AP.

There are various hacks to try to ā€œstrongly suggestā€ that a client use a different AP, with varying levels of success (often rather poor), but you canā€™t ā€œforceā€ a client to change APs from the AP under 802.11.

Thank for the reply.

Setting the same SSID is easy, but how do I make sure they are bridged and not routed?

Simplest is to disable DHCP, DNS, and forwarding (kernel and/or firewall rules) on the ā€œslaveā€ units and connect them all together from their LAN ports to a switch.

More complex is, on the slave units, additionally moving the ā€œWANā€ port to the ā€œLANā€ bridge and daisy-chaining them.

(Apologies for the un-detailed response on the latter, as I donā€™t have a GL-MT300N-V2 that I can poke around on to give you more specifics on config.)

1 Like

I did!! :sunglasses::sunglasses:
Probably jeffsfā€™s suggestions are the operative instructions the user alzhao wrote in the alternativa method (luci one) Profile - alzhao - GL.iNet .

Moreover I can login again the devices via the cable because in linux the command
nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24 | grep rep
gives the IPs of the devices in the net 192.168.0.x .

----- Not very concerting to this
Doing the luci procedure i did something wrong (or forgot something) to the third mango as it wasnā€™t working as the others, so I tried to reset it to start from scratch. I think I bricked it because I donā€™t see it any more nor in the net 192.168.0.x nor in the net 192.168.8.x . Does anyone know a way physical or even soft to revive it before I throw it away? Thanks

First try to reset it with the reset button.
Failing that, refer to the unbricking guide in the docs - piece of cake for clever guy like you.

PS, your link to Alzhaoā€™s solution goes to the wrong page.

Thanks, but Iā€™m dummy: Iā€™m a faked smart user, I need detailed instructions :slight_smile:

I tried the reset button but it didnā€™t worked.

Iā€™ll try the way indicated in the docs.

In the wiki there isnā€™t a section specific for the GL-MT300N-V2 (mango) so Iā€™m going to use the one for the GL-AR150 because they look physically similar (a depth tech reason :slight_smile: ).
Can you confirm Iā€™m looking in the right direction?

PS Thanks for the notice for the link: the
correct one is (the alternative method, the luci one)