Need your help in testing Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) new beta firmware v4.5.7

Try to disable and re-enable the Hardware Acceleration, I have the same problem at every reboot.
I think that’s a bug.

I went back to 4.5.6 because I don’t use wifi.
I have 4 u7-pro

1 Like

Just for information, with this 4.5.7 you are back to a very old kernel and version of luci, the wireless configuration in luci is broken now and I cannot see many options that were there before, also in luci I cannot see anymore the data about connected clients like speed, dbm, etc.

Do you plan to go like this for all the next releases, I mean with this kernel and this broken luci?
Please tell me because I’m luckily still in time to send the router back.

Best Reagrds,
Mario

1 Like

Sent it back, what you mentioned don’t going to change on the near future

They’re going to release a firmware version based on OpenWrt 23 but not this year probably, maybe the end of the year who knows but I doubt it

I also own a axt1800 slate ax, to this also was promised kernel 5 but I’m still waiting. Once upon a time there was a beta (that was working badly) but now even that one is gone.
So I suppose they intend to base even they flagship new routers on a 4.x kernel that was basically built from another generation. That is not good especially for security. I also saw they changed the product description on the web site about the flint 2 and now say openwrt 21 and kernel 5.4 and even that is not true because the new 4.5.7 has an old 4.x.x kernel! It is a kernel from 2016 c’mon it is almost 10 years old and they do not even use the lts one. For this flint 2 there is luckily the option to put plain openwrt snapshot on it but for the slate ax there is no options, that means that when their shallow support ends I will have to throw it away since it is not supported by openwrt directly.
I will send it back to Amazon this week.
Another interesting fact is that they released a router with an openwrt version and a kernel version and then after a while they put it another very old one on it and for them this is normal. I never saw anyting like this in all my life (I’m 51) no IT company that I know of as ever downgraded they own OS after launch! My sincere compliments to Gl.inet, you are the first guys.

3 Likes

They also advertise these speeds below, but their product is limiting at 100 Mbps (2.4 GHz @ 20MHz) or 180 Mbps (2.4GHz @ 40MHz)

The 2.5Gbps Lan/Wan ports are also limited at 1Gbps

2 Likes

io sono tornato alla 4.5.6 per questo problema

1 Like

Yes, one of many defects on 21.02 base, the 2.5 Gbps port is now 1 G. You cannot load any OpenWRT packages either on 21.02. None of the WIFI monitoring functions work on 21.02 base due to the closed source drivers from MediaTek. @admon and @alex_zheng this does not seem like the right strategy for GL.iNet. You are wasting your resources on these closed source drivers because many other functions that users need do not function. It is probably a better move to invest in the 23.05 base with open source drivers, plus get MediaTek to port to 23.05 their closed source drivers.

7 Likes

Yes, sure and you cannot downgrade your OS after launch because many people might have bought the router for that particular reason. Also this downgrade is not at all working so you might have pissed of many of your loyal customers for nothing.

2 Likes

We need GL to step up and support 23.05 as a base. GL needs to manage their supplier, MediaTek, more strongly. GL seems really passive toward MediaTek.

6 Likes

We can also all post on forums about what has happened as this router is becoming a useless brick. I don’t actually get it because many brands (including all the majors and Banana Pi) are basing routers on this chipset from MediaTek. So yeah, this seems like bad SW engineering and bad supplier management from GL as their competitors don’t have these problems. I am gonna post on Amazon and change my review.

4 Likes

Lastly, GL took away the ability for users to compile their own builds with the GL user interface. If they brought that back, I would compile my own builds with the GL GUI.

yes, openwrt do not fully support it yet and gl.inet firmware either do not work and it seems to me they are trying to develop acrobatic abilities with unworkable downgrading in the hope to patch it somehow. It will not work and will bring bad reputation that would be difficult to remove then.

2 Likes

Agree with you. GL is absolutely wasting their internal resources and those of MediaTek by pursuing this downgrade to 21.02. Nearly none of the OpenWRT packages work with the 21.02 base, you cannot monitor WIFI channels, the WIFI drivers from MediaTek do not work well, the 2.5G ethernet is downgraded to 1G. How in the world does GL think this is a good idea. @alex_zheng the solution is simple. Go back to 4.5.6 base with OpenWRT 23.05 as a base, work with the community on the opensource drivers and you then have a base that supports all the packages and monitoring functions.

4 Likes

GL will never have a fully functioning product on 21.02 because most of the core OpenWRT functions and packages don’t work with the closed source MediaTek drivers. @admon instead of pushing back on the users, why not push on GL a little to give us some decent FW based on 23.05 for all the reasons stated above.

3 Likes

I think all agree with you. The problem is different: we bought a router with certain characteristics (the most important one for me, is the double 2.5Ghz ethernet port) but actually, with this firmware some of the commons/important does not work anymore…

I bought it for the advertised OpenWRT capability of 23.05 with the GL overlay GUI. And for all the stated HW functions which anyone would expect to work, including the two 2.5G ethernet jacks.

2 Likes

Yep, we are all in the same boat.

2 Likes

Yikes. I didn’t know about 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN being limited to 1 Gbps with 4.5.7 stable. That’s a big issue for me because I have a 1.5 Gbps connection with one wired connection and a lot of wireless ones.

1 Like