Need your help in testing Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) new beta firmware v4.5.7

They also advertise these speeds below, but their product is limiting at 100 Mbps (2.4 GHz @ 20MHz) or 180 Mbps (2.4GHz @ 40MHz)

The 2.5Gbps Lan/Wan ports are also limited at 1Gbps

2 Likes

io sono tornato alla 4.5.6 per questo problema

1 Like

Yes, one of many defects on 21.02 base, the 2.5 Gbps port is now 1 G. You cannot load any OpenWRT packages either on 21.02. None of the WIFI monitoring functions work on 21.02 base due to the closed source drivers from MediaTek. @admon and @alex_zheng this does not seem like the right strategy for GL.iNet. You are wasting your resources on these closed source drivers because many other functions that users need do not function. It is probably a better move to invest in the 23.05 base with open source drivers, plus get MediaTek to port to 23.05 their closed source drivers.

7 Likes

Yes, sure and you cannot downgrade your OS after launch because many people might have bought the router for that particular reason. Also this downgrade is not at all working so you might have pissed of many of your loyal customers for nothing.

2 Likes

We need GL to step up and support 23.05 as a base. GL needs to manage their supplier, MediaTek, more strongly. GL seems really passive toward MediaTek.

6 Likes

We can also all post on forums about what has happened as this router is becoming a useless brick. I donā€™t actually get it because many brands (including all the majors and Banana Pi) are basing routers on this chipset from MediaTek. So yeah, this seems like bad SW engineering and bad supplier management from GL as their competitors donā€™t have these problems. I am gonna post on Amazon and change my review.

4 Likes

Lastly, GL took away the ability for users to compile their own builds with the GL user interface. If they brought that back, I would compile my own builds with the GL GUI.

yes, openwrt do not fully support it yet and gl.inet firmware either do not work and it seems to me they are trying to develop acrobatic abilities with unworkable downgrading in the hope to patch it somehow. It will not work and will bring bad reputation that would be difficult to remove then.

2 Likes

Agree with you. GL is absolutely wasting their internal resources and those of MediaTek by pursuing this downgrade to 21.02. Nearly none of the OpenWRT packages work with the 21.02 base, you cannot monitor WIFI channels, the WIFI drivers from MediaTek do not work well, the 2.5G ethernet is downgraded to 1G. How in the world does GL think this is a good idea. @alex_zheng the solution is simple. Go back to 4.5.6 base with OpenWRT 23.05 as a base, work with the community on the opensource drivers and you then have a base that supports all the packages and monitoring functions.

4 Likes

GL will never have a fully functioning product on 21.02 because most of the core OpenWRT functions and packages donā€™t work with the closed source MediaTek drivers. @admon instead of pushing back on the users, why not push on GL a little to give us some decent FW based on 23.05 for all the reasons stated above.

3 Likes

I think all agree with you. The problem is different: we bought a router with certain characteristics (the most important one for me, is the double 2.5Ghz ethernet port) but actually, with this firmware some of the commons/important does not work anymoreā€¦

I bought it for the advertised OpenWRT capability of 23.05 with the GL overlay GUI. And for all the stated HW functions which anyone would expect to work, including the two 2.5G ethernet jacks.

2 Likes

Yep, we are all in the same boat.

2 Likes

Yikes. I didnā€™t know about 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN being limited to 1 Gbps with 4.5.7 stable. Thatā€™s a big issue for me because I have a 1.5 Gbps connection with one wired connection and a lot of wireless ones.

1 Like

ā€¦ And you didnā€™t knew about? :thinking:

I got no problem with 2.5 Gbps speeds.
Just keep in mind that Network Acceleration isnā€™t working at every reboot and you should disable and re-enable it to make it work, and you can get over Gigabit speeds.

But if you get a 1Gbps link, you should check your wiring, and itā€™s not related to any software problem.

1 Like

In my opinion, itā€™s not really needed to go to 23.05. Maybe some power users need some features from that firmware - but most people just want to have stable devices. They donā€™t care, for example, if the needed docker dependency is within this version or not.

As OpenWrt is mostly for embedded devices, itā€™s not needed to upgrade to the newest version anyway. Itā€™s good if you can do, but itā€™s not like your device will get a security risk just because you donā€™t. Itā€™s simply not that exploitable, like a Windows PC.

Of course I would love to see that the GL firmware is the newest OpenWrt and the same firmware for all devices. Which should be totally possibly if you invest enough afford. But thatā€™s the main problem: I doubt there are that many developers who are into the firmware development so far. (Maybe I am wrong, just a feeling) So getting the newest software + bug-free + for all devices isnā€™t possible right now, I would say. Plus, you need way better QA.

My (personal) biggest problem with the userbase is that the target group is incredibly heterogeneous. There are people who have no idea about network technology at all and then suddenly want to use VLANs (which is simply nonsense without any idea) and complain you canā€™t set them up using the GL GUI - at the same time, there are people who just want a router and donā€™t care whether 1800 Mbps or 1200 Mbps are transmitted.

How can you really decide what has priority?

And at the end, every user has to decide of his own: Keeping the device or selling / returning it. Blaming GL might be good for emotional reasons; but wonā€™t help fixing the issues faster. So thatā€™s why I donā€™t blame the devs and try to help instead (like by being a moderator here, creating scripts, testing firmwares ā€¦)

However, I agree with you that both the product promise and the communication could be improved.

5 Likes

False. Wiring never changed. With 4.5.6, 2.5Gb works fine. Itā€™s something related to the config/firmware. (as you can read in previous posts from other guy)

1 Like

I think that there is an issue on your configuration if you got any problems with it.
I never had these type of problems since FW version 4.5.4, the 2.5Gbps link is working fine.

Is it just me or is reading through all of these posts make it sound like there has been a progressive decline in the overall functioning of this router with each new firmware version? A lot of folk sticking with v4.5.4 with the enthusiasim for this product progressively dwindling away as we go along to 4.5.5, 4.5.6 and finally the worst problems with 4.5.7 (I cannot belive for example that the WAN spead has been crippled on this latest version!). Are GL.iNET following some sore of backwards development theory of some sort??

3 Likes