New firmware version 4.6 being released for beta testing

To our GL.iNet supporters,

We're excited to be in the process of developing our newest firmware v4.6, which brings various enhancements to the repeater mode and some of our other features.

Please note that firmware v4.6 will first be available on these GL.iNet models:

• Flint 2 (GL-MT6000)
  • Flint (GL-AX1800)
  • Beryl AX (GL-MT3000)
  • Slate AX (GL-AXT1800)
  • Brume 2 (GL-MT2500)/(GL-MT2500A)

The beta firmware is available for download for Slate AX, Beryl AX and Flint 2. Follow these steps:

1. Go to the download page for the router model:
  1. Click the BETA tab or OPENWRT 24 tab (for firmware with open source drivers).
  2. Click Download for Common Upgrade.

The Flint2 Beta firmware with open source drivers is available.This version is based on the OpenWrt main branch (from 39f595d commit), kernel version 6.6.30. It also has some known issues that are important to understand before installing.

Known issues for MT6000 4.6.0-op24 Beta
  • When switching between Extender and WDS modes, users may fail to connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi.
  • Upgrading the firmware with "keeping settings" selected may cause the software package to install an older version.
  • After binding to the cloud platform, the binding time displayed on the page is not accurate.
  • Users may be able to access websites restricted in parental controls by using HTTPS.
  • When the names for shared files in Samba are too long, the shared name is displayed abnormally on PC.
  • When rebooting the router when WebDAV's shared file is enabled, users cannot access data on WebDAV without refreshing the page to restart the servic or unplugging the storage device.
  • OpenVPN TAP-S2S client is displayed as wireless client.
  • The Wireless page does not show the synchronized channel after connecting to the repeater's upstream device successfully.

Here are the exciting new features and upgrades:

Other Notes

We will keep you posted on further updates on our new firmware!

The GL.iNet Team

Updated records
  • May 14: Added Flint2 4.6.0 Beta
  • May 24: Added Flint2 4.6.0-op24 Beta firmware install file
  • May 30: Updated Flint2 4.6.0-op24 Beta firmware download path
  • June 7: Added Flint Beta, updated What's New
  • June 9: Added Brume 2 4.6.0 Beta
12 Likes

Looking forward to it!

Are you guys planning a ā€˜flowā€™ page in the future? It can be created with existing addons like netifyd agent.

Here is an example from Firewalla App:

1 Like

I understand that you are trying to monitor all requests in the network?

1 Like

Will it be available for the MT6000 later this month? I want to test it thereā€™s a feature Iā€™ve been waiting regarding the VPN DNS

We expect to have a beta version available for the MT6000 next week.
The stable version is based on testing and ideally should be available in early June.

5 Likes

Weird that it is beta for Beryl, yet snapshot for brume 2?

1 Like

The answer is here:

You can already download the Beta firmware for Slate AX and Beryl AX.

We will be releasing the beta firmware for other models soon.

2 Likes

Is this based on the open source wifi driver? My understanding is that the Beryl AX only works correctly on the open source driver.

4 Likes

Can I have more details on the following:

Fixed an issue where the router would not recognize USB cellular modems using the M2 EM05G model.

Clearing settings needed when upgrading from 4.5.16 ?

First, for all Beta firmware, we recommend backing up your configuration in LuCI before upgrading.
Second, it should be able to support keeping your settings upgraded. If you have problems after upgrading with a keeping settings, try resetting it first.

1 Like

Based on our testing and feedback received, there are some performance and compatibility issues with the open source drivers for Beryl AX and Flint2. In order to ensure the normal use of users, on these two models, version 4.6.0 will use MTK SDK.
If these issues are resolved, we will switch back to the Native OpenWrt version that uses the open source driver.

For some customers who only want to use the open source driver, we will honor our commitment. During the time that the MTK SDK is being used for the 4.x version of them, we will synchronize the Native OpenWrt version based on the open source driver. Its version number is 4.x.x-opxx. 4.6.0-op23 will be available soon.

13 Likes

A couple of questions if you would not mind:

1. Would you please consider continuing to focus on the open source drivers for Beryl AX as you main line of firmware development given that this router is mostly geared up to be a travel one and given the countless amount of problems users have already had with repeater mode and the closed driver version?

2. Can you please elaborate on what the repeater option ā€œEnable Camouflageā€ does? In addition to clonning clientā€™s MAC address, can it also clone the clientā€™s assigned IP address and does it do anything else to camouflage the router?

Thank you.

5 Likes
  1. We still will try to fix the bugs in the open source version. if it subsequently performs better than the closed source driver, we will make it the main line.
  2. This option is designed for some hotspots that do not allow the router to connect. When it is enabled, the router will try to disguise itself as a client-like device as much as possible. It will not clone the MAC completely, because duplicate MACs may cause more anomalies depending on the hotspot and client device. So it will only clone the OUI part (containing device vendor information) if the client device is not using a random MAC. In addition, it will simulate some other information reported by the client device, such as hostname.
3 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for the MT6000 beta, so far I installed it on the MT3000 and the VPN DNS works exactly how I wanted with the new option :grin:

1 Like

Please add VPN (domain)-policies when using Wireguard Client. Its really a shame ignoring a domain whitelist when connected to VPN service.

They are included since 4.x - why do you think they donā€™t work?

Because when connected to VPN I cannot access some sites which are being blocked although I added them to whitelist to not use VPN. It is mentioned several times on this board that this does not work.

It does work perfectly using the 4.5 firmware, it would be curious if itā€™s broken in 4.6
I am using it just right now on my Flint2.

Please create a new thread containing your hardware information and so on, so somebody can have a look. Follow this guide as well: How to get support quickly

The MT6000 4.6.0 Beta based on the closed-source driver version has been uploaded to the download center now.

6 Likes