OpenVPN and WireGuard Compatibility Report

The general guide to configure OpenVPN and Wireguard can be found in the docs:

The general info of using VPN on GL.iNet routers can be found VPN on Router - GL.iNet

This post will be used to get the most updated info about VPN connection. Your feedback of real world VPN usage is highly appreciated.

OpenVPN

Most of the VPN service providers provide OpenVPN support.

OpenVPN services providers that use account username/password to connect

• (none)

OpenVPN service providers that uses a specific VPN connection username/password to connect

• Nordvpn #37
  • ExpressVPN
  • Torguard
  • Windscribe
  • VPN.AC
  • Surfshark
  • Trust.zone
  • CyberGhost
  • Purevpn

OpenVPN service providers that uses cert and key only, without username and password

• KeepSolid (aka VPN Unlimited)

OpenVPN service provider supported but still need to confirm how they authenticate

• Fastest
  • Zoog
  • PIA
  • PrivateVPN
  • ProtoVPN
  • AirVPN
  • Astrill
  • Bolehvpn
  • CactusVPN
  • Cryptostorm
  • FastestVPN
  • FinchVPN
  • HideMyAss
  • IPVanish
  • IVACY
  • IVPN
  • OVPN
  • Proxy.sh
  • Proxpn
  • SaferVPN
  • StrongVPN
  • VPNGate

WireGaurd

Here is the list of VPN service providers that support WireGuard that can be used on the router

• AzireVPN
  • MullvadVPN
  • Torguard
  • OVPN
  • WeVPN
  • StrongVPN
  • SpiderVPN
  • VPN.AC
  • Windscribe
  • ProtonVPN

Here is the list of VPN service providers that use modified WireGuard protocol that is not supported on the rotuer

• NordVPN
  • ExpressVPN
  • Cybershark

What is the VPN speed.

If you use openvpn on the router, the speed could be low.

For mini routers it could be less than 10Mbps.
For B1300, MT1300 the speed could goes up around 20Mbps.
For MV1000 the speed could goes up to 50-60Mbps

If you want faster speed, please choose Wireguard, which is easily able to achieve 40Mbps+ on the mini routers.
On B1300, MV1000 it goes to 200Mbps+

Smartphone App support

If you use our smartphone app and control your router (firmware 3.201 and later) locally, the following VPN services can be configured directly via the app.

OpenVpn:

• NordVPN

Wireguard:

• AzireVPN
  • MullvadVPN
  • Torguard
  • OVPN
  • WeVPN
  • StrongVPN
  • SpiderVPN

Pls note, the app stores all the VPN profiles locally, not on the router. Your phone has much more storage space than the router.

3 Likes

Wow, this will be useful (and was missing). I see that you have included VPN.AC that I use for years. I confirm that both OpenVPN and Wireguard work well with this provider and the MV1000.

They recommend Wireguard for routers and OpenVPN ECC for their Windows client. There is a lack of information about ECC here and on their site. So I made some tests to see if the ovpn file could be adapted and it’s possible to use Elliptic curve Diffie–Hellman.

openvpn[5394]: Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1.2 ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, peer certificate: 256 bit EC, curve secp256k1, signature: ecdsa-with-SHA512

It is said that it is faster than RSA. That may be useful for those who have older routers that don’t support Wireguard or have a provider that does not offer Wireguard yet.

1 Like

Can you let me know for openvpn, does VPN.AC provide a specific username/password to connect? Or just use your general username and password

Yes, the web login is your e-mail address and the vpn login is different like vpn12345678

And (from their FAQ):

Is it possible to change my VPN username?

Yes, just let us know what the new username should be.

I update info about VPN.AC

1 Like

You can add protonvpnn to the recomment list. Thats works fine up to GL Firmware 3.105 on AR 300, AR 750 and AR750S. GL Firmware are not possible to use (at minimum for protonvpn) for AR 300, AR 750 and AR750S depend on DNS leak. See:

I am not recommending any of the following but just noting that they work:

Fastest (OpenVPN)
Zoog (OpenVPN)
KeepSolid VPN Unlimited (OpenVPN and Wireguard).

1 Like

Windscribe has a WireGuard (not only OpenVPN) configuration that works flawlessly on GL.iNet.

1 Like

Updated this in the list.

1 Like

Any idea if these needs separate username/password for vpn?

Keep Solid is certs and keys.

Fastest, Zoog and KeepSolid all use account username/password for OpenVPN.

Must be missing something, as not sure why this info. is relevant, though!

Nice info to have if one would want to subscribe to a VPN service to know straight away if compatible with GL.iNet or not.

My keepsolid clients are certs and keys, with username/password a “no”.

1 Like

You are indeed, correct!

It may be worth adding that “AdGuardVPN” should not be included list.
It looks like the AdGuardHome family and can be mistaken for a good choice, but it’s actually one of the farthest choices from this use case.
(they also say they have plans to support it, but I wouldn’t recommend it for several other reasons.)

e.g. MozillaVPN is probably supported in beta services.

Can you let me know if Protonvpn use a separate username, password for vpn connection?

They provide a web login name (based on my proton mail account in my case) and a separate OpenVPN / IKEv2 username and password. And even more than that.

1 Like

Iv been using surfshark without a issue. They don’t support wireguard profiles yet but their openvpn profiles aren’t bad.

1 Like